Audio enhancement perma-grin style - Page 12
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Audio enhancement perma-grin style

Well, I got everything buttoned back up and the bike put back together so I could take a ride today. As for sounding like crap, the lows sounded very muffled. I realize these little 5.25" speakers won't push a lot but they just sounded muted and tinny. I read every bike audio post I could find (there's a lot of good info in the HD Forums ) and found where many had removed foam baffles, polyfill, etc. I had installed Boom Mats and they really created a snug fit so I decided to pull it back apart and remove them to see if there was any difference. The difference was immediately recognizable with a much fuller and deeper sound. Im not saying it sounded like I had just installed a sub, but the bass was there and the sound was much more clear. At this point I was happy they finally sounded better than the JBL coaxials I had just removed.

While doing research this past week, I located a reputable audio shop that is actually the local dealer for Hertz, Audison, and Arc Audio. While out riding today I visited and spoke with the owner about amp settings. He advised they could assist in dialing it in and use an oscilloscope to ensure they get the most out of the components. I have elected to take the bike to them Monday morning and let them get this project across the line. I can then make note of their settings for future reference.

Robert, I sincerely appreciate your guidance throughout this process as well as your continued willingness to assist. To be honest, I have partial hearing loss in one ear and a severe case of tinnitus so I probably can't even tell what good would even sound like. Too many years banging on drums and listening to loud music.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    Well, I got everything buttoned back up and the bike put back together so I could take a ride today. As for sounding like crap, the lows sounded very muffled. I realize these little 5.25" speakers won't push a lot but they just sounded muted and tinny. I read every bike audio post I could find (there's a lot of good info in the HD Forums ) and found where many had removed foam baffles, polyfill, etc. I had installed Boom Mats and they really created a snug fit so I decided to pull it back apart and remove them to see if there was any difference. The difference was immediately recognizable with a much fuller and deeper sound. Im not saying it sounded like I had just installed a sub, but the bass was there and the sound was much more clear. At this point I was happy they finally sounded better than the JBL coaxials I had just removed.

While doing research this past week, I located a reputable audio shop that is actually the local dealer for Hertz, Audison, and Arc Audio. While out riding today I visited and spoke with the owner about amp settings. He advised they could assist in dialing it in and use an oscilloscope to ensure they get the most out of the components. I have elected to take the bike to them Monday morning and let them get this project across the line. I can then make note of their settings for future reference.

Robert, I sincerely appreciate your guidance throughout this process as well as your continued willingness to assist. To be honest, I have partial hearing loss in one ear and a severe case of tinnitus so I probably can't even tell what good would even sound like. Too many years banging on drums and listening to loud music.
    I wonder when I read about some filling and even lining or sealing up the enclosures that the speakers fit it. If anyone notices, realizing that the enclosures were designed for the OEM speakers, that the enclosures are ported. I don't know how much actual science is in to the design of these enclosures. Conventional enclosure design wisdom would tell you that the ABS plastic is not a very good material for enclosures and that any efforts to decrease resonance in this material could not be bad. However, I have also read about some sealing off these enclosures, and to me at least, it would seem to really limit the sound from any speakers. A truly sealed enclosure would surely need to be larger. JMTCW
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

The speakers were very very snug inside the liner and my understanding, from a complete non-audiophile noob here, is that they just needed more room to breathe. In retrospect, it is a ported enclosure even if small and to me it made sense to allow the speaker to use all of the available space. Maybe it just needed a little more room to produce some lower end resonance and thats what Im hearing. LOL

Thank you Jimmy

There are dozen things that could affect the quality. Polarity, rca cable type, etc. I can't detail everything here, it's too involved which is why I offered to review with you. The setup you used one of the top installers in the nation did a couple years ago.

most likely and like I said before, you probably need a line driver (disused on this thread. ) The line level output is below normal specs. Along these lines:

https://www.google.com/search?q=line...ine+driver+rca

This is why I have been so adamant about needing a dsp or an amp that can.

Robert, I completely agree, way too many variables including my old ears. I know the chosen components are top shelf, at least for my needs, and will serve me well once everything gets checked and dialed in. Looking forward to Monday....

I delivered my bike to the audio technician today and picked it up a few hours later. He advised he had everything dialed in and had to install an RCA filter to remove some ignition noise. We went outside, put the key in and WOW! The sound has truly come to life and absolutely rocks. While the bass does not "boom", I never imagined being able to get sounds in the lower register out of 5.25" speakers. I could actually feel notes hitting my chest when we cranked it up. This guy did a remarkable job getting the system dialed in and squeezing everything he could out of these components. I do not believe I could have achieved the same results due to my lack of knowledge in this area. The only remaining item is to relocate the filter to a more suitable position as I do not like the location they chose.

Now, I remain thankful for the direction and recommendations of both Robert and Jimmy. There is a multitude of information and components readily available for the HD crowd including both custom and plug and play wiring and various peripherals. That makes the installation experience similar to a Crutchfield order complete with pictures. However, these two guys are trailblazers and are to be commended for their research and efforts. Thank you gentlemen.

I am extremely pleased with the final result and recommend the same for anyone looking to enhance their audio experience.

I am SO glad to hear this!
    First, I'm happy for you that you've got what you wanted.
    Second, I'm taking the first steps in this path......$$$

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

You are right about the bass, but you would be surprised they can put out serious bass if you compensate for the 10db cut at 100hz off the head unit. A dsp or eq prior to the amp would help. I'm not saying you will get serious bass, but I was surprised what hertz was able to produce compared to any other speaker I tried. I tried 6 different speakers, and these were in a class of their own.

Hopefully you will hear the difference at highway speeds, it changed riding forever for me.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by pressorv View Post
    You are right about the bass, but you would be surprised they can put out serious bass if you compensate for the 10db cut at 100hz off the head unit. A dsp or eq prior to the amp would help. I'm not saying you will get serious bass, but I was surprised what hertz was able to produce compared to any other speaker I tried. I tried 6 different speakers, and these were in a class of their own.

Hopefully you will hear the difference at highway speeds, it changed riding forever for me.

Robert
    I know we talked about this before, but I don't remember and I'm not exactly sure I ever understood precisely which Hertz speakers you have installed. Could you refresh my memory?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    I know we talked about this before, but I don't remember and I'm not exactly sure I ever understood precisely which Hertz speakers you have installed. Could you refresh my memory?
    I think Robert, F6Pilot & I all have the HSK 130s.
    Mine are still in a box....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce