New motors and chassis from HD for 2017 - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New motors and chassis from HD for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Is it common for a rider to wave or gesture towards you when you cross paths while out cruising? It is in this area...though...I have noticed that only about half of Harley riders acknowledge me on my "furrin" machine.
    I do it all across the country. I always wave.
    Been snubbed by all makes & models - and yes, I know they saw me.
    I still wave.
    I'm happy in my skin - they obviously have the issues.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

To Wave or Not to Wave

This isn't mine, I found it on another board...

To Wave or Not to Wave

I love motorcycles, and I love riding. Like many of you, what first drew me to bikes was not just the experience of riding, but the feeling that I'd become part of a special community brotherhood, really. Nothing calms me more than a long ride down the interstate, waving to the members of my beloved clan. Except when I pass Harley guys. I hate Harley guys. Hate, hate, hate. When I pass them on the highway, you know what I do? I don't wave. With their little tassle handlebars and the studded luggage and the half-helmets. God, they drive me crazy.

You know who else I hate? BMW guys. Oh, I do hate those guys. I don't wave at them, either. They think they're so great, sitting all upright, with their 180-degree German engines. God, I hate them. They're almost as bad as those old bastards on their touring motorcycles. You know what I call those bikes? "Two-wheeled couches!" Get it? Because they're so big. They drive around like they've got all day. Appreciate the scenery somewhere else, Grampa, and while you're at it, I'm not waving to you.

Ducati guys, I don't wave at them either Why don't they spend a little more money on their bikes? "You can have it in any color you want, as long as it's red." Aren't you cool! Like they even know what a desmo-whatever engine is, anyway. Try finding the battery, you Italian-wannabe racers! I never, ever wave at those guys.

Suzuki guys aren't much better, which is why I never wave at them, either. They always have those stupid helmets sitting on top of their stupid heads, and God forbid they should wear any safety gear. They make me so mad. Sometimes they'll speed by and look over at me and you know what I do? I don't wave. I just keep on going. Please, don't get me started on Kawasaki guys. Ninjas? What are you, twelve years old? Team Green my ass. I never wave at Kawasaki guys.

I ride a Honda, and I'll only wave at Honda guys, but even then, I'll never wave at a guy in full leathers. Never, never, never. Yeah, like you're going to get your knee down on the New York Thruway. Nice crotch, by the way. Guys in full leathers will never get a wave from me, and by the way, neither will the guys in two-piece leathers. And I'll tell you who else I'm not waving at those guys with the helmets with the loud paintjobs. Four pounds of paint on a two pound helmet like I'm going to wave back to that! I'll also never wave at someone with a mirrored visor. Or helmet stickers. Or racing gloves. Or hiking boots.

To me, motorcycling is a like a family, a close-knit brotherhood of people who ride Hondas, wear jeans and a leather jacket (not Vanson) with regular gloves and a solid-color helmet with a clear visor, no stickers, no racing gloves and regular boots (not Timberlands). And isn't that what really makes riding so special?

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    In ALL ofl my years of motorcycling, I have NEVER ridden a Harley Davidson. I've sat on one several times at dealers but that's it... I just don't feel the attraction.

Is there something wrong with me?
    Well after 30 years of riding I bought one last year in sepember. I went to 2 HOG events, one was the largest here in Europe with over 10.000 bikes which is a lot here. I sold the Harley in June and bought the F6B. HD's and the whole community hype around them are just not my thing. I have several other bikes (mainly dirtbikes) in the garage which I love riding but I'll leave Harley out. Been there, got the T-shirt, took a good ride and that was it.

Not later than yesterday i stopped at a gasstation. Paid and bought some bottled water inside, we have over 100 degrees this week. Enjoying the airco inside, got out 10 mins later and there you have it, 4 Hell Angels with HD's standing around my 6 and looking. I open the trunk to stuff my water bottle.
    "Smooooth!" comments one of the brothers. They kinda liked the 6. Their bikes looked worn and pretty hardcore. We greeted and I drove off.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I do it all across the country. I always wave.
    Been snubbed by all makes & models - and yes, I know they saw me.
    I still wave.
    I'm happy in my skin - they obviously have the issues.
    Cheers,
    Steve

I agree with 53 Driver, I wave at all, even the scooters. We are all brothers of the knees in the breeze crowd so might as well be a good example.

Ride safe

X

Back on Topic

To get back on the original topic I went to my local HD dealer yesterday to test ride one of the new 2017 touring bikes with the all new Milwaukee Eight engines.

The reason for this was that I am currently between bikes having sold my 2009 Harley Road King and replacing it with a 2015 Yamaha FJR1300ES that was a super bike but the footpeg position just didn't work for me (leg circulatory issues) so in the process of selling it and looking for a new two wheel ride and wanted to give Harley another chance.

I was now limiting my search to a motorcycle with foot placement either under and slightly forward like the Goldwing or F6B or the floor boards of the Harley that I had grown very use to and found to be comfortable.

Well, they rolled out the brand new 2017 Street Glide Special and off I went for about an eight mile circuit ride. Here is my analysis of the new Harley engine and bike.

The engine is certainly smoother than the prior twin cam motors at both idle and at running speeds. This is probably due to their adding a counter balance to the engine. The engine raps up a lot faster than the prior engines and the seat of the pants gauge is that it has more HP and torque and gets it to the back tire with ease. As a former F6B owner I can say that the new Harley might even be able to keep up with a F6B in acceleration and there will now be no reason for someone to spend a couple of grand on a brand new bike to get it to run better. It also seems to be a little cooler running but that was difficult to gauge as the outside air temp was approaching 100 degrees F yesterday mid afternoon but due to better oil passages in the heads it should be a little cooler running but it is still an air/oil cooled engine.

Those were the positives, now for the negatives.

The engine does not have the same feel as all prior Harleys and by this I mean the vibration cadence seems to be different and strange and this could be a real turn off for the die hard Harley fans. One of the service advisers said that it had a Japanese feel to it which is probably a good thing but could be bad for Harley if the diehards don't buy into it.

The exhaust sound is much louder than prior stock exhaust and to me it bordered on way too loud. This was a negative for me but for the dyed in the wool Harley rider it will probably be welcomed.

The new slipper clutch wasn't an improvement that I could tell any difference versus my prior Harley and it still clunks loudly going into first gear from neutral. They should have never gone to the hydraulic clutch as I preferred the cable system on the 2009-2013 touring bikes. Just something else to give trouble.

The Street Glide did not handle that well compared to my most recent ride, the FJR1300ES but than what does. I am also used to less hung weight on the front end with my old Road King and not used to the SG with its batwing fairing so to me it didn't handle as well as the old Road King. Harley claims they improved the suspension but I didn't feel it. The F6B has it and any Harley beat in the large bike handling department.

Overall it is probably an improvement over the prior twin cam engine especially if the cam chain tensioner and bad charging stator and weak lower end issues are now corrected. But, is it worth $24K+ for the non liquid cooled models and $27K+ for the Ultra Limited with cooled heads, not in my opinion. Harley has been losing sales to Indian and Victory and this new engine is their response to stop the loss and these changes may work but it is still a very hot running machine with less than desirable handling and a big price tag. The only real fix is a fully liquid cooled engine and they know that once they go that route they will have to compete head up with the Japanese bikes and they will loose that battle.

All in all, the F6B is back on the top of my list and waiting on a local dealer to call me back regarding a 2015 deluxe in silver that they have in inventory.

May be XXXHarley soon.

Ride safe,

X

Nice report on your experience with the (old, newer) HD and its motor...I am sure they are okay bikes, but "NO WAY" will they get my $24/25,000 for the damn things...Only crazy dedicated, and perhaps not wrapped so tight, HD riders would pop that kind of coin so they can become one of the herd!!!....Meanwhile I will ride and love my F6B for now and wait to see if the new/old Harley can out-run my F6B...I doubt it!!!....Ride safe.

Thanks for the update.

I have always wondered what the profit margin is on H-Ds. They get $20-30K for an air-cooled twin with some features, but otherwise a pretty basic bike. Not to mention, the aftermarket add-ons and clothing that has a high markup on it. Then, there is the service and maintenance.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Wave Revoked!

Have you ever had a wave withdrawn at the last second? I have twice, both times from HD riders. Funny as hell to see the approaching bike with arm ready to extend in brotherly love, only to be pulled back faster than a slip of the wrist on a table saw once they clued in the Honda wasn't what they were expecting.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Have you ever had a wave withdrawn at the last second? I have twice, both times from HD riders. Funny as hell to see the approaching bike with arm ready to extend in brotherly love, only to be pulled back faster than a slip of the wrist on a table saw once they clued in the Honda wasn't what they were expecting.

Yes! And I laughed!
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post

I've done it.

Extend my arm out and then realize it just some yahoo on a moped/scooter.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"