Time for new tires
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time for new tires

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Time for new tires

10k on the f6b. Rear might have few more miles and front 30% left. I have read info for over an hour.

Who would of thought the choice so hard to make. Thanks all for all the info here. Mostly I want long tread life.

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post
    10k on the f6b. Rear might have few more miles and front 30% left. I have read info for over an hour.

Who would of thought the choice so hard to make. Thanks all for all the info here. Mostly I want long tread life.
    Then you should mount a car tire my friend.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Long tread life or good handling

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Then you should mount a car tire my friend.
    I have always opted for the good handling over the long tread life and a car tire wouldn't ever match the handling of a motorcycle tire, I just installed a Dunlop Elite 4 on the rear of the B and haven't a clue how many miles I will get out of it but it is suppose to have a harden center tread with soft sidewalls for cornering and so far the handling is spot on. Right from the day I put it on I took it out to scuff it in and it handled great right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I have always opted for the good handling over the long tread life and a car tire wouldn't ever match the handling of a motorcycle tire, I just installed a Dunlop Elite 4 on the rear of the B and haven't a clue how many miles I will get out of it but it is suppose to have a harden center tread with soft sidewalls for cornering and so far the handling is spot on. Right from the day I put it on I took it out to scuff it in and it handled great right off the bat.
    Not sure what you are talking about. I haven't lost any handling since installing the Michellin Alpine PA3 run flat car tire on my F6B.

Maybe you just don't know how to ride?

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

This is the 7 motorcycle

Not sure what you are talking about. I haven't lost any handling since installing the Michellin Alpine PA3 run flat car tire on my F6B.

I will put a motorcycle tire up against any car tire out on the market for handling!

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    I will put a motorcycle tire up against any car tire out on the market for handling!
    It's your money. Spend it how you wish

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

I put a car tire on my Valkyrie and I'm luke warm about it at best. DOn't care for the way the tire want to stand the bike up in the corners. People get used to this, but there is no doubt the tire handles differently than the Avon Cobra that is usually on the rear. To each their own, but it was enough to convince me that I didn't want one on my F6B.

Oh, and I do think I know how to ride. I ride pretty aggressively.

The one positive thing I do like on the Valk, is that the car tire does offer a nice plush ride especially 2 up.

After 3 sets of Bridgestones, I switched to the new ELite 4s. Hoping for a littel better mileage. What I can say so far, is they do stick very well. Have had the bike down to the engine guards in the corners and no slip noticed.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Might Try the Darkside

I thought of trying a car tire on one of my old Valkyries, but for a few reasons I never did. On Valks you usually need to make a mod for clearance under the fender. And, if you don't like it, a lot of work is required to switch back.

Unlike the GL1500s, the F6B rear wheel change is a breeze. Since I bought a spare rear rim from a trike dealer, I could try the darkside and easily switch back if I didn't like the handling. Even if I didn't like it, I might still use the CT for long trips on the slab, and the MC tire when I'm home in Colorado riding the twisties.

I know a CT can be ridden aggressively. I've seen some impressive photos of guys riding darkside Wings and Valkyries on the ragged edge on roads like the Tail of the Dragon. But most of the darkside riders I personally know don't ride very hard. When riding behind one friend on mountain roads I noticed an awkward transition as his CT would enter a corner.

Like Jimmytee, I like to ride hard. I scrape my pegs a lot. So I'm curious, how many of you guys with CTs really push the F6B hard in the corners on a regular basis? And what's it like in those situations?

Was not trying to start the debate again as I had read about 2 hours of great information and thoughts on here already and was thanking all for the great information

Quote Originally Posted by lake_carl View Post

Hey lake_carl,

I just put a set of Dunlop Elite 4's on my F6B. The original Bridgestone's had 8400 miles are were wearing heavily. The front was wearing stupid for a tire with 8400 miles. I can say I am not a fan of the original tires. I keep my tires at 41 psi all the time. The last set of Dunlops' I had were on my Harley and I put 24,000 miles on them before replacing both tires. So far, the Dunlop elite 3's or 4's work for me. I don't get some guys talking about road noise with them. My Elite 4 tires are smooth and quiet.

Just sold my Harley. Since I bought the F6B, I didn't have the desire to ride it.