Installed the Bike Big Parts Backrest on my Mustang Seat - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installed the Bike Big Parts Backrest on my Mustang Seat

Looks good Mac. See you tomorrow and I'll check it out in person. I had almost thought of riding the Valkyrie, but with you and Hal riding your Bs ,I'm going to as well.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmytee View Post
    Looks good Mac. See you tomorrow and I'll check it out in person. I had almost thought of riding the Valkyrie, but with you and Hal riding your Bs ,I'm going to as well.
    See you tomorrow.

To those guys that are thinking of installing a smart mount backrest on your Mustang seat. The first steps is to kill the mustang. Just kidding no mustangs were harmed while do this install.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyhorse View Post
    To those guys that are thinking of installing a smart mount backrest on your Mustang seat. The first steps is to kill the mustang. Just kidding no mustangs were harmed while do this install.
    What? Kill that crazy horse?
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

Hahaha....love that Mac...and if you do put the rear extension on I Just bet you have one sitting around somewhere

Very nice !!! That mustang seat is a very good looking seat. How is the comfort? The stock seat is not very good to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    Very nice !!! That mustang seat is a very good looking seat. How is the comfort? The stock seat is not very good to say the least.
    I like it. I can't compare it to the stock seat not having rode on one. It is firm but after 300 miles in the saddle I felt I could have rode another 200 miles with out hurting.

I have had some request to post steps on installing the smart mount backrest. I am leaving on a ride tomorrow and will return on Sunday. I hope to post steps then. I would recommend down loading the instruction from Wingstuff on installing the backrest on a OEM seat http://wingstuff.com/system/uploads/...pdf?1386279724. Soon as I can I will post my measurements.
    For the ones who asked about using the Smart mount backrest on your Mustang seat here are the measurements. I'm sharing with you what I did you are responsible for your modifications. As the above quote states first down load and read the oem instructions on mounting the smart mount backrest. You can find these on Wing Stuff. The only modifications I made was to the arm of the backrest by adding 1" of flat stock. In the picture below you can see the piece I added was a little over 1" and I had to cut some off for it to work. It will bottom out on the off set in the seat. I measure 18 1/4 " from the rear tip of the seat and made the cut into the seat (first mark was the 17 5/8" from rear [measurement used for the Utopia backrest mod] second 18 1/4"). I measure the cut on the stock seat were I removed the smart mount and it is 18" from rear.The oem instructions or right on for the rest of the install. I did make a cover for backrest bar out of some leather using a couple of snaps.

Modifications: Weld 1" piece of flat stock to backrest bar. Place bar into place and mark using the holes drilled in seat. Drill bar and tap for bolts.
    Note: Careful drilling through bottom of seat you can drill into the seat cover.

I hope this will be helpful.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Crazyhourse. I know every seat will vary in measurments but just to be clear, you measured and cut the slot 18 1/4" from the rear of the seat. What is the 17 5/8" measurment for?

Quote Originally Posted by oiler View Post
    Thanks Crazyhourse. I know every seat will vary in measurments but just to be clear, you measured and cut the slot 18 1/4" from the rear of the seat. What is the 17 5/8" measurment for?
    The member that did the Utopia backrest mod used the 17 5/8" measurement (I used his post to do my install and had to make some changes). I can see how it could be confusing if you did not read this entire post. I may edit that from my post.