I wanted to share my F6B Rental Experience...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wanted to share my F6B Rental Experience...

I wanted to share my F6B Rental Experience...

This is a little wordy, so if you don't want to hear the whole story, you can jump down to the Second Post where it's all about the bike.

I left work a little early at 3:00pm in the South Silicon Valley, jumped in my smart car and got on Highway 5, headed to Southern California, specifically Huntington Beach, to meet up with a gentleman who was renting out his 2013 Honda F6B. $129 a day, and as little as $59 a day for longer terms. I found him on Craigslist while searching for information on the F6B. I currently ride a 2003 Honda ST1100P. It’s an ex-police bike from Pasadena that I came across on auction and couldn’t pass it up. But you see, there is a 2016 Honda F6B sitting at my local Honda Dealer, and every time I walk past, it calls out to me. New, these bikes list for $21K, but there are deals to be had in the $16K to $17K ranges on new inventory, if you’re willing to travel a bit. Either way, I am not going to base a $20K decision on a 10-minute dealer demo ride. So when I found this bike was available for rental by the day… I was in.

I went to the Rental Website (www.Riders-Share.com), looked up that particular bike (there were about 20 bikes of differing types available), clicked on the button to schedule a rental, and was instructed to log-in using my Facebook account. No other options… just my Facebook account. Problem one. I don’t have a Facebook account, I don’t want a Facebook account, and I shouldn’t need a Facebook account. I contacted the bikes owner, through the Craigslist ad, and was told that Riders-Share was a startup internet company and they use Facebook as part of their authentication process, it was currently the only option. I explained that this was of no interest to me, and many other people in my demographic, but that I was happy to provide any information needed to get this ride underway. To make a long story short, over the next two nights I went through a process of background checks, information gathering, and probably even credit check. I worked with the owner of the Riders-Share website on some “confirmation” issues and eventually secured my ride date. Friday, September 23rd, 2016. I would leave the night before, stay in a local hotel, wake up fresh and meet up with the bike and its owner Friday morning.

We (the bikes owner and I) talked by email back and forth, I spent the night at the Super 8 Motel just down the road a mile or so, and showed up at his place, 7:00am, bright and early. He was a nice guy, old enough to own and respect such a bike, and this was “his” bike… not just some bar-coded rental machine parked in space E47 out in a sea of similarly equipped fleet purchases. He went over a checklist, not so much about vehicle condition, as it was about all the factory functions and added features that he had bestowed the bike with. I admitted to him that I had downloaded the Honda F6B Owner’s Manual and familiarized myself with most of the features and functions a few days before.

I brought all my own gear, Jacket, Gloves, Helmet, Shoes, etc. And his right-side saddlebag had much of the necessary roadside emergency needs, Glass Cleaner, First Aid Kit, Tire Repair and Compressor, etc. I pushed the bike back out of his garage and headed West on Beach Street toward the coast, made a Left turn on Highway 1 (PCH, The Pacific Coast Highway), and began to familiarize myself with the ride. My intent was to stop for breakfast somewhere and then head down toward San Diego where I had lived for about 7 years in my youth.

I couldn’t stop. I was so enthralled with this machine, that for the next 4-1/2 hours, I only stopped a few times to take pictures and message them back to my wife and family. In fact it was so comfortable that the first three times I stopped… I never even got off the bike to stretch my legs... I just sat there taking pictures.

So you probably don’t want a recap of all of my “vacation slides,” you just want to hear about my experience with the bike…
    Due to limitations in the forum software, I’ll cut to the chase in the next post...

Here are the things that are most worthy of mention:

Touring

If a fully dressed Gold Wing is the Winnebago of motorcycles, then the F6B is the Lincoln Town Car. If you don’t need the full trunk, or you spend more time on the bike without a pillion than with one, the F6B is a perfect solution. A YouTube reviewer called riding the F6b like “Riding on a cloud...” I’ll buy that analogy. It fits.

Saddlebags
    The saddlebags are more than adequate for a couple days ride, and with the factory rack behind the passenger backrest you could carry another soft bag, tent, sleeping bag, etc. One thing the owner did point out was that he had removed the Radio Antenna because it interfered with his big carry bag when it was strapped on the rack. I guess I’ve also gotten used to the fact that my Police bike allows the removal of the key without having to “lock” the bags closed. As I understand it, the F6B does not allow this; you must lock the bags before removing the key. There was one time that I did not fully “click” both latches on the bags even though they appeared closed, and it was VERY nice that the digital dashboard warned me of this before I went to start the bike. Very cool.

Seating
    I have absolutely no reason to change out the factory seat. I know there are many, many options out there for aftermarket seats, but seriously, coming from a solo-seat police bike, this “park-bench” of a factory seat was just wonderful. After about 9 of my 12 hours spent in the saddle, I did have some butt-warming going on, but less than I had expected and still far more comfortable than any other seat I have spent any real time in. Thank the designer of the human race… every butt is different.

Windscreen
    As I understand it, the bike had gone through a couple windscreen options before settling on the Madstad Roboknob Smoked Windscreen System (I believe this was the 11 inch version). I never adjusted it from the position that the owner had it originally in, and frankly I never had the desire. This two-tier, adjustable windscreen pushed the wind up and over my head and created no unreasonable turbulence or buffeting. At 70 MPH out on Highway 5, I found myself riding with my modular helmet open, and could lift the internal sunshade without my eyes watering at all. Although I never did so (in hindsight I should have, just to test the theory) I probably could have initiated a phone call on my Sena 10R Bluetooth and no one would have known I wasn’t sitting at home at my desk. At one point I looked down at the zipper fob on my jacket, which is usually flopping about in every direction, and it was hanging there as straight as the tinsel on a Christmas tree. It was truly like riding in a bubble.

Handlebars
    The owner had installed handlebar risers. I do not know (nor did he) how much lift or shift these differ from the factory bars, but it felt to me that they were moved up and back at least 2-3 inches from stock. Personally, these bars were too far back, and a bit too tall for me. I am only about an inch taller in stature than the bikes owner, but for me the bars left me with too much bend in my arms and made me feel like I was operating a walk-behind rototiller, instead of the natural forward reaching (not forward bending) feel of comfortably operating a motorbike. In the few moments I have spent seated on an F6B at the dealerships, I find the factory position to my liking.

Additionally, the owner had a few pounds of accessories hanging off the handlebars as well. On the left side, a controller for heated gear (jackets, gloves, vests, etc.), a RAM X-Mount phone holder and stretch thingy, a stick-on USB outlet that had lost its stick and was flopping about. On the right side, a Radar Detector that had to be mounted high enough to see over the windscreen; and a ThrottleMeister cruise control that would not release completely and was best to be avoided. Not being a fan of handlebar clutter, I would have gladly exchanged all of this for the factory electronic cruise control that is standard on the new models. My phone connects to my helmet with Bluetooth, and I don’t desire any other distractions hanging from the handlebars. Just my opinion, to each his/her own.

Brakes
    Okay… Linked Braking is the Dogs paws!!! Having come from the world of inter-cranial brake control (where you get to decide how much brake in front or rear is enough), I can really appreciate the feel of the Linked Brakes of today. None of the front end dive just because you chose to grab the right lever a bit aggressively, and no more rear wheel skid if you stomp on the pedal a bit to quickly (though I admit that both of those were very useful back in my off-road riding days). This machine had no problem shutting down very quickly and in a very straight line.

Handling
    In a word… Amazing. Very low center of gravity. A noticeably heavy bike, but not unreasonably so. There’s no reverse, but I didn’t find that a problem at all. Both feet can plant firmly on the ground for most people, and pushing back is easier than pushing forward given the pegs and saddlebags. Obviously some forethought into parking and not nosing into some downhill situation is in order, but I guess I’m still young enough to not worry about reverse yet.

Performance
    From Single-Cylinder Thumpers and Two-Strokes, to Twins, and V-Twins, to Straight Fours and V-Fours, I’ve owned and ridden many, but this Six-Cylinder Flat is just flat incredible. Smooth, powerful, low-end… quick, throaty, high-end… they both come together to form the ultimate power plant. I found the factory exhaust to be wonderfully quiet, and yet loud enough to let you know you are on the throttle, but not your neighbors. My kind of sound.

Center Stand
    After a few street bikes with center stands, you learn the secret… Stomp Firmly, Lift Little. This was true of the F6B as well. Always, Always, start from the side stand, it won’t be in the way. Push the center stand down with your right foot until it touches the ground, then push the bike with your right knee away from you until the other side of the center stand contacts the ground. Now stomp firmly down with your right foot on the stand, lifting your left foot completely off the ground and putting your entire weight on the stand, if any additional lifting needs to be done, now is the time… just remember, by lifting your goal is increasing the weight you are putting down on your right leg. Very soon the stand should come over-center and the bike will be on the stand. I had no problems getting this 800+ pound bike onto its center stand. Now put the side stand up… you don’t want it banging on the ground when you ride off the center stand.

The Rental Concept
    I know there are many who say, “No way… no stranger is riding my baby.” And I fully understand that. If I should eventually purchase the F6B of my dreams (and this ride put me that much closer), I too, am not sure I could hand the keys over to someone I don’t know, and haven’t ridden with. On the other hand, there are some who have mentioned that they would actually buy a bike with the intent on renting it and making a little money… obviously these people would not have the personal attachment that most of us have with our machines. And that too, is understandable. But for me, being able to rent a specific bike for a day, and not just take some 10-minute demo ride with a salesman leading the way, was awesome. I could enjoy the bike at my pace, and wherever I wanted to ride it.

A Note to Kevin, (the bikes owner - and as I found out, a member of the forum here),
    Again, I want to thank you for sharing your bike with me. I assure you, although I did put it through its paces, I did not abuse your bike in any way. In fact, I guess my riding is quite conservative these days, because even though you pointed out the possibility… I never once scraped a peg in a corner. Your machine operated flawlessly and on at least two occasions while stopped at an intersection I was told, “Nice bike!” I thanked them as I know a proud owner, such as yourself, would have done. Not only did you allow me to ride your motorcycle, you allowed me to spend a day reliving some memories and revisiting some places from my youth. My first post back to my wife and family was to tell them that “my face was exhausted from grinning so much.” I sent pictures home to my wife of the places we grew up together, the school we went to (high school sweethearts), the homes we lived in, the Hotel Del Coronado, where I was fortunate enough to take her to her Prom. I had Pizza at a restaurant I hadn’t been back to in 35 years… and it was just as good as I remember it being when I was 17. I can’t tell you how much I needed this. Thank you.

Final Thoughts
    I gotta find somebody 340 miles closer that will rent me his bike!!!
    940 miles (car-bike-car) in 34 hours was a bit of a stretch, but...
    Yeah, I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

Jim

Great review! Although The fact you actually admitted you drive a smart car did somewhat initially effect your credibility, but I got over it.
    Can't imagine why anyone would rent out their bike though, that just would NEVER work for me.
    Lake City Honda
    Warsaw, IN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ritsema View Post
    Great review! Although The fact you actually admitted you drive a smart car did somewhat initially effect your credibility....
    Attachment 23725

Jim

So this is me (Kevin). So glad you enjoyed it, Jim!

I know the founder of Riders-Share, Guillermo, and I'll tell you guys what I told him: I think this site is perfect for guys just like Jim, who want to try out a bike for a day that they're considering buying without the cost and hassle of a rental center. That's why *I* would use the site, anyway. And if every renter ends up being like Jim, I'll never regret renting out my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    So this is me (Kevin). So glad you enjoyed it, Jim!

I know the founder of Riders-Share, Guillermo, and I'll tell you guys what I told him: I think this site is perfect for guys just like Jim, who want to try out a bike for a day that they're considering buying without the cost and hassle of a rental center. That's why *I* would use the site, anyway. And if every renter ends up being like Jim, I'll never regret renting out my bike.
    Hey Kevin! Good to hear from you.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to give you a call and head back South for another ride. You've seen my other threads, so you know what your ride did to me. I'm right at the edge of purchasing my own F6B soon. Could have gone out and bought one the next day... in fact I even stopped at Huntington Beach Honda and talked with the guys there before I brought your bike back that night. But on the drive home, I decided to prioritize some personal goals first, so I could really appreciate my purchase.

Thank you again for sharing your bike with me. I look forward to seeing you more here on the forum, and perhaps a ride together sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Hey Kevin! Good to hear from you.

I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to give you a call and head back South for another ride. You've seen my other threads, so you know what your ride did to me. I'm right at the edge of purchasing my own F6B soon. Could have gone out and bought one the next day... in fact I even stopped at Huntington Beach Honda and talked with the guys there before I brought your bike back that night. But on the drive home, I decided to prioritize some personal goals first, so I could really appreciate my purchase.

Thank you again for sharing your bike with me. I look forward to seeing you more here on the forum, and perhaps a ride together sometime.
    Anytime, mate!

Cool

I have never heard of the site but have loaned out a bike or two. If I know you and you can ride I'm in. Had a fellow member fly into town and borrow a bike for the weekend . All I wanted was it returned full of gas. Really don't see the big deal. For me it is just a tool. I don't love it as it does not love me back and if it could it would try to kill me !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Here are the things that are most worthy of mention:

Touring

If a fully dressed Gold Wing is the Winnebago of motorcycles, then the F6B is the Lincoln Town Car. If you don’t need the full trunk, or you spend more time on the bike without a pillion than with one, the F6B is a perfect solution. A YouTube reviewer called riding the F6b like “Riding on a cloud...” I’ll buy that analogy. It fits.

Saddlebags
    The saddlebags are more than adequate for a couple days ride, and with the factory rack behind the passenger backrest you could carry another soft bag, tent, sleeping bag, etc. One thing the owner did point out was that he had removed the Radio Antenna because it interfered with his big carry bag when it was strapped on the rack. I guess I’ve also gotten used to the fact that my Police bike allows the removal of the key without having to “lock” the bags closed. As I understand it, the F6B does not allow this; you must lock the bags before removing the key. There was one time that I did not fully “click” both latches on the bags even though they appeared closed, and it was VERY nice that the digital dashboard warned me of this before I went to start the bike. Very cool.

Seating
    I have absolutely no reason to change out the factory seat. I know there are many, many options out there for aftermarket seats, but seriously, coming from a solo-seat police bike, this “park-bench” of a factory seat was just wonderful. After about 9 of my 12 hours spent in the saddle, I did have some butt-warming going on, but less than I had expected and still far more comfortable than any other seat I have spent any real time in. Thank the designer of the human race… every butt is different.

Windscreen
    As I understand it, the bike had gone through a couple windscreen options before settling on the Madstad Roboknob Smoked Windscreen System (I believe this was the 11 inch version). I never adjusted it from the position that the owner had it originally in, and frankly I never had the desire. This two-tier, adjustable windscreen pushed the wind up and over my head and created no unreasonable turbulence or buffeting. At 70 MPH out on Highway 5, I found myself riding with my modular helmet open, and could lift the internal sunshade without my eyes watering at all. Although I never did so (in hindsight I should have, just to test the theory) I probably could have initiated a phone call on my Sena 10R Bluetooth and no one would have known I wasn’t sitting at home at my desk. At one point I looked down at the zipper fob on my jacket, which is usually flopping about in every direction, and it was hanging there as straight as the tinsel on a Christmas tree. It was truly like riding in a bubble.

Handlebars
    The owner had installed handlebar risers. I do not know (nor did he) how much lift or shift these differ from the factory bars, but it felt to me that they were moved up and back at least 2-3 inches from stock. Personally, these bars were too far back, and a bit too tall for me. I am only about an inch taller in stature than the bikes owner, but for me the bars left me with too much bend in my arms and made me feel like I was operating a walk-behind rototiller, instead of the natural forward reaching (not forward bending) feel of comfortably operating a motorbike. In the few moments I have spent seated on an F6B at the dealerships, I find the factory position to my liking.

Additionally, the owner had a few pounds of accessories hanging off the handlebars as well. On the left side, a controller for heated gear (jackets, gloves, vests, etc.), a RAM X-Mount phone holder and stretch thingy, a stick-on USB outlet that had lost its stick and was flopping about. On the right side, a Radar Detector that had to be mounted high enough to see over the windscreen; and a ThrottleMeister cruise control that would not release completely and was best to be avoided. Not being a fan of handlebar clutter, I would have gladly exchanged all of this for the factory electronic cruise control that is standard on the new models. My phone connects to my helmet with Bluetooth, and I don’t desire any other distractions hanging from the handlebars. Just my opinion, to each his/her own.

Brakes
    Okay… Linked Braking is the Dogs paws!!! Having come from the world of inter-cranial brake control (where you get to decide how much brake in front or rear is enough), I can really appreciate the feel of the Linked Brakes of today. None of the front end dive just because you chose to grab the right lever a bit aggressively, and no more rear wheel skid if you stomp on the pedal a bit to quickly (though I admit that both of those were very useful back in my off-road riding days). This machine had no problem shutting down very quickly and in a very straight line.

Handling
    In a word… Amazing. Very low center of gravity. A noticeably heavy bike, but not unreasonably so. There’s no reverse, but I didn’t find that a problem at all. Both feet can plant firmly on the ground for most people, and pushing back is easier than pushing forward given the pegs and saddlebags. Obviously some forethought into parking and not nosing into some downhill situation is in order, but I guess I’m still young enough to not worry about reverse yet.

Performance
    From Single-Cylinder Thumpers and Two-Strokes, to Twins, and V-Twins, to Straight Fours and V-Fours, I’ve owned and ridden many, but this Six-Cylinder Flat is just flat incredible. Smooth, powerful, low-end… quick, throaty, high-end… they both come together to form the ultimate power plant. I found the factory exhaust to be wonderfully quiet, and yet loud enough to let you know you are on the throttle, but not your neighbors. My kind of sound.

Center Stand
    After a few street bikes with center stands, you learn the secret… Stomp Firmly, Lift Little. This was true of the F6B as well. Always, Always, start from the side stand, it won’t be in the way. Push the center stand down with your right foot until it touches the ground, then push the bike with your right knee away from you until the other side of the center stand contacts the ground. Now stomp firmly down with your right foot on the stand, lifting your left foot completely off the ground and putting your entire weight on the stand, if any additional lifting needs to be done, now is the time… just remember, by lifting your goal is increasing the weight you are putting down on your right leg. Very soon the stand should come over-center and the bike will be on the stand. I had no problems getting this 800+ pound bike onto its center stand. Now put the side stand up… you don’t want it banging on the ground when you ride off the center stand.

The Rental Concept
    I know there are many who say, “No way… no stranger is riding my baby.” And I fully understand that. If I should eventually purchase the F6B of my dreams (and this ride put me that much closer), I too, am not sure I could hand the keys over to someone I don’t know, and haven’t ridden with. On the other hand, there are some who have mentioned that they would actually buy a bike with the intent on renting it and making a little money… obviously these people would not have the personal attachment that most of us have with our machines. And that too, is understandable. But for me, being able to rent a specific bike for a day, and not just take some 10-minute demo ride with a salesman leading the way, was awesome. I could enjoy the bike at my pace, and wherever I wanted to ride it.

A Note to Kevin, (the bikes owner - and as I found out, a member of the forum here),
    Again, I want to thank you for sharing your bike with me. I assure you, although I did put it through its paces, I did not abuse your bike in any way. In fact, I guess my riding is quite conservative these days, because even though you pointed out the possibility… I never once scraped a peg in a corner. Your machine operated flawlessly and on at least two occasions while stopped at an intersection I was told, “Nice bike!” I thanked them as I know a proud owner, such as yourself, would have done. Not only did you allow me to ride your motorcycle, you allowed me to spend a day reliving some memories and revisiting some places from my youth. My first post back to my wife and family was to tell them that “my face was exhausted from grinning so much.” I sent pictures home to my wife of the places we grew up together, the school we went to (high school sweethearts), the homes we lived in, the Hotel Del Coronado, where I was fortunate enough to take her to her Prom. I had Pizza at a restaurant I hadn’t been back to in 35 years… and it was just as good as I remember it being when I was 17. I can’t tell you how much I needed this. Thank you.

Final Thoughts
    I gotta find somebody 340 miles closer that will rent me his bike!!!
    940 miles (car-bike-car) in 34 hours was a bit of a stretch, but...
    Yeah, I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

Jim
    great review
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Quote Originally Posted by tiltingf6b View Post
    great review
    I cracked up watching this review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RABRHvvIXhY

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD