New F6B,, dealer told me 1st service at 600 miles.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New F6B,, dealer told me 1st service at 600 miles.

New F6B,, dealer told me 1st service at 600 miles.

I have a week old F6B, bought it with zero miles now close to 1k.

I checked the manual and it says to change the oil at 4,000. The dealer told me to bring it back at 600 miles so they could change the oil and do an overall check of the bike.

This is at my cost as well, $160 or so. I just don't want to void any factory warranty, but also don't want to just give $160 away.

I called another Honda dealer and he told me not needed until 4,000 miles.

Comments / advice please on servicing this new bike.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2015 F6B owner (purchased new 10/29/16)
    Traded in my 2014 CTX 1300
    Sold my 1995 Nighthawk
    Sold (1st bike) Kawasaki Vulcan 500

Quote Originally Posted by svnten View Post
    I have a week old F6B, bought it with zero miles now close to 1k.

I checked the manual and it says to change the oil at 4,000. The dealer told me to bring it back at 600 miles so they could change the oil and do an overall check of the bike.

I called another Honda dealer and he told me not needed until 4,000 miles.

Comments / advice please on servicing this new bike.
    Both dealers are correct. The 500/600 check is basically to make sure everything is secure and functionally properly and you"re good to go. Afterwards there's a sched check and/or adjustment, air filter, etc. (including oil change) every 4K.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

IMO. Follow the Owner's Manual. Those engineers know what they are doing when they design these machines. Dealer's Service Dept are the biggest profit centers in the building. They prey on your fear, well some anyway.

If you do take it in for the "600" , and I'm not saying you should, then make sure they check the final drive levels. For piece of mind if nothing else.

I'll admit I'm a sucker for these service dept sales pitches. I brought mine in at 700 miles for same thing. Same price as yours too!

But Big TP is right. The engineers know this engine and what it needs. Not only do they suggest a 4,000 mile oil change then every 8k, they have to guarantee this maintenance schedule with a three year/unlimited mileage warranty! What convinced me was the extended warranty. Honda will cover your engine for 7 years and unlimited mileage with these service intervals. Some folks here could be past 150k miles after 7 years, yet the maintenance schedule remains unchanged.

Last time I checked Honda likes to be profitable and replacing engines for people who followed their advice does not balance that equation.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Big TP View Post
    IMO. Follow the Owner's Manual. Those engineers know what they are doing when they design these machines. Dealer's Service Dept are the biggest profit centers in the building. They prey on your fear, well some anyway.
    A friend who's a dealer says these are his money makers in order:

1. Parts counter
    2. Service
    3. Accessories
    4. Coke machine
    5. Used sales
    6. New sales

I'm sure these fluctuate depending upon the dealer .... He's a small low volume dealer in a rural area so he makes more on parts. People have older bikes and snowmobiles and do a lot of the work themselves.

He said his markup has been reduced over the past 20 years as technology and engines have gotten better. Manufacturers have raised dealer prices AND MSRPs. Used to be 12% now closer to 5% and he has to match manufacturer incentives (for example $500 cash back means he fronts $250 and manufacturer puts in 250).

Dealers also have to soak up set labor costs on manufacturer extended warranties (though they do come with a healthy profit up front).
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

BINGO!!!!!!

I always follow the service schedule that the manufacturer publishes. Never had any problem whatsoever even on my Harleys. Today we have high quality syn oils, water cooled engines, years of fine tuning this Flat 6. Bulletproof...almost. Now I will admit , sometimes for a little piece of mind I will do an oil change here and there in between services especially if I am planning on a doing a long trip or getting into the Florida summer season.

I changed my Oil and Filter after 500mi because I am a shop owner (not motorcycles) and agree with the small engine manufacturers that want an initial oil change to possibly flush any contaminants from minor tolerance differences as they are smoothed out.

Now keep in mind Honda (as with most all manufacturers) engines are now built with tight clearances and in very clean conditions, so the chances are as close to zero as can be of having metal shavings needing to be flushed out. BUT as an old school mechanic i still do a break-in oil change.

Once the initial change is done I go the recommended mileage.

And I do it all myself. It is just and oil & filter change.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Your bike and your money and do whatever you are comfortable with....If your somewhat of a wrench, change your own oil and filter at the initial change at whatever mileage makes you happy, check the rear gear oil yourself, check the tires, fluids etc. and ride on until the 4000 mile check.....The dealer does not do much at 600 miles but get your money.....Most riders on this board, I doubt, have taken their bike into a dealer for the 600 mile check-up!!!...12,000 miles on mine now and I have only been back to the dealer once for the brake re-call and to change the clutch and brake fluids while it was there.....JMHO and ride safe...BTW doing your oil/filter changes etc. will not void the warranty....Just keep some records/receipts of what and when you did the work just in case someone tries to give you a hard time which rarely occurs....