Zero electric bikes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zero electric bikes

Zero electric bikes

I drove by a BMW bike dealer today for the umpteenth time today, and decided to turn around and stop in on a rainy cold day for poops and giggles.

They are also a Zero motorcycle dealer. I was intrigued.

Zero has six models, from dual sport to sport to standard style. A twist of the throttle and off they go. No clutch, no shifting, no gas, no oil, no maintenance except brakes and tires. Up to 150 mile cruising range and hard acceleration.

I am going to stop back to a test drive on a nice day before the snow starts flying.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I have some experience with a 1st gen Zero motorcycle. Zero is a first rate company and make excellent electric motorcycles.

These are not cheap.

Top quality materials and assembly. I was gonna ask if you rode one, but I see not yet. You will be impressed. If I were in the market I'd go for the DSR.

Attachment 24154

I may go for it in a couple of years after the OL gets done with her Master's. I think I can justify another bike - I am near 8,000 miles of riding this year.

Having to wait another two years to get a second motorcycle is what you call a first world problem.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I may go for it in a couple of years after the OL gets done with her Master's. I think I can justify another bike - I am near 8,000 miles of riding this year.

Having to wait another two years to get a second motorcycle is what you call a first world problem.
    The technology gets better each year and the prices may come down a bit if they can open up a larger market. So you might benefit from a hiatus.

I test drove one last year. Incredible acceleration, very smooth. The lack of routine maintenance is intriguing.

Unfortunately, I found the bike uncomfortable after just 10 minutes. The bike places the rider leaning forward with weight on the hands. I found that quite uncomfortable after just a few minutes and found the overall frame size to be too small. If they came out with a larger frame with more of a sitting instead of forward leaning position I would not hesitate to buy. That said, I think their milages ranges are unrealistic for high speed riding. I fear though that the cost of replacing the batteries when worn will be quite high.
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Maybe

At least you'll be dealing with a more reasonable owners....having to cope with them in the past (10 years with BMWs) was not easy. I was told Art and Lynn finally sold the shop....it took a month to get in for service......no other BMW dealer other than in Troy, NY 5 hours away.

Our local police department got several of them in some kind of federal grant. The officers say they really them for urban applications, they are dead quiet and work really well zipping down sidewalks and alleys at night looking for bad guys.
    Lake City Honda
    Warsaw, IN

Cool TT Zero

They have been racing Zero bikes at the Isle of Man TT for the last few years. They are getting more popular, and faster!

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...the-boundaries
    "Once more into the fray, into the last good fight I'll ever know, to live and die on this day, to live and die on this day"

Quote Originally Posted by Vondawg View Post
    At least you'll be dealing with a more reasonable owners....having to cope with them in the past (10 years with BMWs) was not easy. I was told Art and Lynn finally sold the shop....it took a month to get in for service......no other BMW dealer other than in Troy, NY 5 hours away.
    Wow. I don't know anything about the dealer, and, as mentioned, this was the first time I had been in the showroom despite it being just 4-5 miles from the house. Glad it is in the hands of potentially more responsive ownership.

The salesman was very knowledgeable and the place seemed nice...except he kept mistakenly referring to my Honda as a "Harley". I didn't correct him; I found it kind of funny.

I glanced at the Bimmers, but wasn't really interested. Never have been to interested in their lineup. Too alien-looking.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Up to 150 mile range?? That's a 75 mile ride from the house and back and the operative words are up to. I usually do that on a milk run. And remember that's based on a fully charged battery.

That brings up the question how hard is it to push?