took a 2017 street glide for a test ride - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: took a 2017 street glide for a test ride

Quote Originally Posted by rdeady View Post
    I do like this bike or I would have never got rid of the fat boy. The fat boy way just collecting dust in the garage. I'm just blowing off steam I'm sure I'm going to do the upgrades/extras I need on this bike and then I'm sure I'll be set. May get another little bike for ripping around town but this monster does a decent job ripping itself. In the last 5 years or so I had a cbr600 and a triumph street triple what a blast they were. Was going way to fast so I sold them before I hurt myself. As far as needing a bike for the branding no that's not me as I explained to a harley rider who told me Hondas were not welcome everywhere. I told him I really have no need nor do i want to be where or with people would think like that anyway and I've never been much for conforming. May wind up with Russell day long for the comfort but I don't no that I want to have to slide up at every light to get feet down ( I'm 5 10") and dont find it extremily attractive. really like the look of the mustang though!
    Really all that matters is that we ride what we like. Having more than one bike helps, but the F6B is a very good bike to do many different things. I struggled with the looks of it initially, but after riding a friends a couple of times, I didn't care. I was coming off of an ST1300 and could just not get the comfort I was after. The F6B provides that better than any bike I've owned. At this point in my life, that is most important. Oil changes are a breeze, but that air filter change doesn't look too fun.

I just had a minor issue with my Ultra Classic. The transmission cover on the side is held on by the same bolts that hold the exhaust on. Gee, I wonder if those ever vibrate loose? The silver dollar size pool of transmission fluid I found in my garage would suggest they do. I can't believe Harley would do that, but once tightened, I've been reading that they don't leak again. We shall see.

street glide

Cool looking bike,for sure...boys ,don't know bout you but it ain't bout cool now.long past that..I really do wonder how many guys buy harleys due to peer pressure? I love going to bike night with all those harleys an putting the batbike right in the middle.hillarious! Funny thing is I like the bikes ,however if I'm gonna spend that kind of money an can only buy one,it not gonna be the harley. To each their own but don't go with the herd cause everyone else seems to .

I've went to bike night at the cabin in Howell nj nothing but a sea of Harleys and my honda . Was funny. And yeah many many guys will ride harley only due to peer pressure and or fear of not fitting in with anything else. Heck we stopped Sunday at biker bar and I had only non harley in lot. When we were leaving I yelled hey who's got the honda let's kick his azz hehe.
    Well I just ordered the ergo 3s and mbl wide risers. Next will be windshield then seat

Another comment for those "HD" guys....Maybe if your such a V-twin fan, you should try an Indian or Victory instead of the same old "crap"...I had two Vics and they were both great bikes..Faster than HD, smoother, handled better, rode better, and looked cooler, but nowhere near as nice as my F6B......JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Another comment for those "HD" guys....Maybe if your such a V-twin fan, you should try an Indian or Victory instead of the same old "crap"...I had two Vics and they were both great bikes..Faster than HD, smoother, handled better, rode better, and looked cooler, but nowhere near as nice as my F6B......JMHO
    Nope nowhere near as nice and Victory has the worst shifting transmission I ever rode, think semi crash box. They do however consider a tall rider in their design.
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I find the comments on the Vics interesting...I test rode the CC Tour right before signing the papers for the F6B on the way home (was still deciding between the two when I test drove the Vic).

I rode the Vic, immediately felt the vibration through the seat under acceleration, some of the cheap-looking details (exposed rubber spark plug wires and boots on a bike with a lot of chrome; imprecise shift indicator; feel of latches, etc) and cut the test drive short. I decided my $19,000 (OTD price) couldn't be spent on a manufacturer that isn't solid on the details. Not at this price range.

Anyway, I wonder if I gave the Vic a fair shot. Not that I am unhappy with the F6B, it is great for all of the reasons listed all over this forum.

Miks - I agree about 87 octane gas! That was a factor in my decision between the Honda and the Vic, which requires 91 octane. The Vic gets slightly better fuel mileage, but that advantage was eliminated with the requirement of more expensive gas. Love the simplicity of the flat-six and 15 years of a proven, albeit dated, design of this bike.

H-Ds dominate this area. They are everywhere. Harley is practically synonymous with "motorcycle", if you ride a cruiser.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by Wing'n it View Post
    Nope nowhere near as nice and Victory has the worst shifting transmission I ever rode, think semi crash box. They do however consider a tall rider in their design.
    Sorry to hear of your transmission reports..On both of the Victory's I had, an 08 Kingpin Tour and a 2011 Vision Tour, the transmissions were just fine and shifted very nicely with no issues....The Indians shift very nicely also....JMHO and ride safe....

I don't have much experience, but....if you like to ride, I mean really ride, this Honda is it, hands down. I haven't talked to many people, really, I should say anyone, who after I tell them the trip I made to GA and back, would say that could do it on whatever they own. I've talked to Vic, Harley, and Indian owners and not one would do it. That's testament enough for me.

edit...I know a couple who have made the trip to FL, but admittedly bitched and moaned all the way there and back. I could have ridden straight through if my common sense didn't stop me. I was in a zone like never before.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Something I neglected to mention....

On my summer trip around NYS, I stopped for a break and a mint chocolate chip ice cream cone. A couple of guys with Harleys and Vics pulled in. I talked to the guy with the Harley for a few minutes, who was admiring my bike. He asked a few questions, like what motor it has, ride, handling, etc. When he asked about the power, I remember talking about the bottomless pit of thrust that this bike has a highway speeds. Seemed like a foreign concept to him.

Him: "Sooo...you don't have to downshift to pass?"

Me: "Ummm...if you have to downshift on this bike, you probably shouldn't be passing."
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Funny topic. I test rode a 15 Roadking with 2600 miles on before buying my F6B. I think had they been able to cover my negative equity, I may have ridden it out. I got rid of my first B this spring and bought a Ninja 1000. Wife wanted to shoot me (not sure why I thought she'd ride that after riding on the B). I also was interested very seriously in the Victory bagger, but that dealer wouldn't even discuss trading my Ninja. I also test rode a Kawi Voyager expecting to ride home on it. Couldn't stand it. So we wrote up the 15 F6B in matte silver and I didn't need a test ride since I already had owned one. After riding all these bikes, the B immediately felt better than I had previously given credit. It does seem to need some suspension tuning (I think the travel is too short and dampening to soft to handle it), a better seat, and a windshield- but that's it. Planning to have my seat customized locally and leaving my wife's part alone. She loves it. The Clearview shield with a vent did great on my last one, so I'll order another. Comparing it to a new Harley easily justifies "fixing" all the things you may not like.

OBTW- my Honda/Kawi/Suzuki dealer told me the Victory dealer (who is 90 minutes from him like I am) wouldn't talk to me about trading. He also wished me good luck ever trying to sell a Victory if I didn't like it They were discounting the Victory's about $5k like the F6B, which is why I considered one. Read great reviews on them, figured it could have been my poor man's Harley.
    18 Kawasaki Z900RS black
    1989-1995 IC2- USN