New F6B owner needing a windshield.. not sure what size, make and model.? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New F6B owner needing a windshield.. not sure what size, make and model.?

Quote Originally Posted by svnten View Post
    I just bought my F6B last week, it came with the shorty stock windshield and I want something taller. I am 5 ft 7 and my wife rides with me a lot as well, she is 5 ft 2. I am not a fan of bugs hitting my full faced helmet and also want the less buffering we both can get. I will go with a clear shield but not sure which one? I ride daily to work 90 miles r/t highway commute. Do the vents really work in the stock taller windshield or should I get something else? I don't mind looking through the windshield either for comfort. I am just not sure which route to go.

Thank you
    I have a Clearview 16" tinted with the upturn (like new) that I will sell for $125.00 plus shipping. It is an excellent shield but too short for me at 6'1".

Gary

Another vote for the Madstad. I have the 13" and am 6'1" with a 34" inseam. When positioned all the way up, it deflects nearly all the air off my torso, but still allows me to see over it.

For the summer, I lower it about 1/3 of the way from the highest position, and tilt the adjustable screen towards me. This essentially puts the shield only a few inches above where the stock shorty was, but the design of the Madstad smooths out the flow of air so there rarely is buffeting.

Here's the deal with the Madstad: they design it to have air flow under the screen smoothly. That's the trick of it. Most buffeting and noise on a bike comes from turbulent air swirling around the not-so-aerodynamic stuff behind your windshield. Without a fairing, you need "lowers" to smooth out this flow. The Madstad has the same effect built in to its design since the F6B has a fairing.

I even like the looks of mine! They look a lot better in person than they do on their website.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I'm your height and find my Klock Werks flare 14 inch (dark smoke) works great -- it also comes in 16 inch version. I easily look over this shield and it moves the wind up and over very well IMHO.

I have tried several and my choices are in order...
    1) Madstad (this is my current windshield and worth every penny)
    2) Cut down Goldwing shield (yep I cut down a stock Wing shield with the vent and its actually a great shield)
    3) Clearview (these are great shields but height is a fiddly affair to pick the right size)
    4) Stock Honda tall F6B shield with vent (it works but the passenger buffeting is the worst)
    2019 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT / CSC trike

I'm watching this thread with great interest... as of yet I do not own an F6B, but I'm watching the market and waiting to pounce.

In the mean time, I actually rented an F6B for a full day and had an absolute blast on it. It had the 11" Madstad windshield and was adjusted for the Registered Owner. I was only about an inch taller than he, and I must say there was no turbulence and it performed excellent. Problem is... I don't really care for all the adjustable hardware hanging off the top of the bike. I'm hoping to find the one-piece equivalent without having to purchase three or four to make up my mind.

That being said... I have purchased two shields from ClearView, one for my PC800 (now sold), and one for my current ride, an ST1100P. ClearView makes a great product and both have performed well. In hindsight, the +5 that I got for the PC800 was about 2 inches too tall (had to look through it), but the +4 that I got for the ST1100P is excellent. About 2 inches below my line of sight. I won't make that mistake again. All my future shields will be just about 2 inches below the line of sight.

Just my $.02.

Jim

I use the long ride shield, 15" quality piece, great value....check out their website longrideshields.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I'm your height and find my Klock Werks flare 14 inch (dark smoke) works great -- it also comes in 16 inch version. I easily look over this shield and it moves the wind up and over very well IMHO.
    +1... 5'11" here, slight turbulence which I don't mind, but as said here, it moves the wind mostly up and over my helmet....very rarely catch any bug action...usually only from the side. I think it's good looking too...many compliments.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I have a 17" honda with vent- I do not recommend it lots of buffeting at 60+
    I tried the mra windscreen bolted to the 17" shield- did nothing much for me
    I tried both 11 and 13" madstad and although it was better then the honda it still didn't do what i was hoping for. It did get rid of a lot more of the buffeting but certainly not all. At 5 10" i saw easily over the 13" The customer service at madstad was topnotch though.
    Of course i tried the stock shield and combined with the large fairing it directs air at your head like crazy.
    Next move (if i dont sell the bike) is a f4 plus 4 or a optic armor plus 4 or a similar look through shield. Never looked through one before but im willing to try. Heck my buddy has better wind protection (head area) on his old fatboy with a large shield he looks through.
    It may just be that i am a woosy

My humble opinion of course but Madstad is the best, ugly windscreen out there. If you're into function over form, the Madstad is something to seriously consider.
    Ken (Hornblower)

After a while you don't even notice the adjustable hardware.
    2014 F6B Deluxe
    Iron Butt Association #23995
    SSgt USMC 1967-1974
    University of Vietnam 68/69