Madstad for F6B - Page 17
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Scotrod, as you can see from D Sharks photo Chris is giving you a line of bull. If my base doesn't wind up being 10" from gasket (like I specifically called and requested) I am going to come unglued a little. I took the extra effort to request it, and was assured that the 10" base was now the "standard" and no need to specify.

Guess we find out tomorrow...
    F6BPDX: I wrote extensively on this subject and spoke with Mark at Madstad several times hoping to save others here all the grief I went through shipping shields back and fourth. Here are a few points that may help you as you communicate with Madstad.

First of all I learned I had to tell the nice folks at Madstad what I wanted and not simply hope that they would send me something that works. So if you feel strongly about the Base and or Shield you want then insist on it and they will accommodate you as they did me. Keep in mind that Madstad does not have an F6B to do road testing on so it's up to us.

Turns out Madstad shipped me the GL1800 base by mistake (took them 2 weeks to figure out exactly what they had shipped me which was not real encouraging). I mounted it on my F6B and they were surprised it fit (I did use a larger diameter washer to capture the center mounting slot machined into the Base). You can see a comparison between the two Bases at the Madstad site if you go to to the GL1800 page and compare photos to the F6B page.

The GL1800 Base is not only taller it is also wider which I think is very important. I have the 11" shield and can adjust the Shield Full Up with no loss in wind protection (in fact wind protection may be a little better in the up position). As a reminder I'm 6'-2" tall. Scotrod states his wind protection begins to deteriorate when approaching the Full Up position. Mark at Madstad also indicated to me in a phone conversation that wind protection would deteriorate if the Shield were adjusted too high relative to the Base. Based on Scotrod's experience I don't doubt this is true with the shorter and narrower Base installed.

I can tell you without any doubt that with the GL1800 Base mounted on my F6B there is no reduction in wind protection when the Shield is adjusted full up. I have also stated that calm air extends well beyond each shoulder to the left and right as well as good protection around the hands. I think the added height & width are responsible.

I'm on a business trip right now but when I get back I'll take some better photos of the GL1800 Base on my F6B. However if you compare closely the photos I have posted to those by others you can get a good idea of the dimensional differences. I think it's the added Base Height & Width combined that work so well on my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    My shield measurements are from the upper edge of weatherstrip. Looks about like a 9 3/16 in the pic above using my method. Maybe 10 ish at the bottom of the gasket.

Dshark was one of the earliest owners, and we believe it might have been possible he rec'd a GL base instead of an F6B base.

Bruce B got his shortly after Dshark, and he had the shorter base. (Pics in this thread)

My bases so far have been somewhere around ~8~,, maybe a touch above 8,, from top of strip to top of shield.

If memory serves, that's about the same as Bruces 1st base,,,
    Dshark was first to get the Madstad and I was number two. He got the high base and I got the lower (8 inches) one. Long story short, after some conversation and tinkering with Mark at Madstad, I went to a mid height base, a 9 incher. I went with that since dshark liked his 10 incher and I'm about 4 inches shorter than he is. I'm totally pleased with the unit. My 13" CB was OK but this is great. It does now appear that all the new Madstad owners are very happy with the 10 inch base so I'd guess I would be too. It's only an inch higher than what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    F6BPDX: I wrote extensively on this subject and spoke with Mark at Madstad several times hoping to save others here all the grief I went through shipping shields back and fourth. Here are a few points that may help you as you communicate with Madstad.

First of all I learned I had to tell the nice folks at Madstad what I wanted and not simply hope that they would send me something that works. So if you feel strongly about the Base and or Shield you want then insist on it and they will accommodate you as they did me. Keep in mind that Madstad does not have an F6B to do road testing on so it's up to us.

Turns out Madstad shipped me the GL1800 base by mistake (took them 2 weeks to figure out exactly what they had shipped me which was not real encouraging). I mounted it on my F6B and they were surprised it fit (I did use a larger diameter washer to capture the center mounting slot machined into the Base). You can see a comparison between the two Bases at the Madstad site if you go to to the GL1800 page and compare photos to the F6B page.

The GL1800 Base is not only taller it is also wider which I think is very important. I have the 11" s7hield and can adjust the Shield Full Up with no loss in wind protection (in fact wind protection may be a little better in the up position). As a reminder I'm 6'-2" tall. Scotrod states his wind protection begins to deteriorate when approaching the Full Up position. Mark at Madstad also indicated to me in a phone conversation that wind protection would deteriorate if the Shield were adjusted too high relative to the Base. Based on Scotrod's experience I don't doubt this is true with the shorter and narrower Base installed.

I can tell you without any doubt that with the GL1800 Base mounted on my F6B there is no reduction in wind protection when the Shield is adjusted full up. I have also stated that calm air extends well beyond each shoulder to the left and right as well as good protection around the hands. I think the added height & width are responsible.

I'm on a business trip right now but when I get back I'll take some better photos of the GL1800 Base on my F6B. However if you compare closely the photos I have posted to those by others you can get a good idea of the dimensional differences. I think it's the added Base Height & Width combined that work so well on my bike.
    I have read your reviews and was convinced by them that I wanted the 10" base. I called and spoke to Chris and referenced both you and this thread and was very specific that I wanted the 10" base and not the 8" base. I was assured by Chris that this was the new standard and was always shipped for the F6B now. If I had just ordered on the website then I wouldnt be upset. Being that I called, based off of your research, and specifically requested something I am going to be highly dissapointed if that was all for naught.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I admit I'm a bit perplexed at how Madstad 'numerically identifies' their F6B bases.

I know aftermarket Goldwing shields (baggershields) are identified by different numbers (heights) than the F6b shields even though the end result is ~the same~ height. (The baggershield 11-19 for the F6B is, for all intents and purposes, the same overall height as the baggershield 17 - 25 for the GL's)

FWIW, I'm under the assumption I'll be receiving another base with the same dimensions as the last one. If something different shows up, I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I am in no way trying to reflect negatively upon or discredit your findings, but have you tried a shorter base?

I can see the reasoning behind your thoughts. Just wish I could 'see for myself' and somehow quantify the difference by actually trying both.

It's also unclear if the mirror mounted wind wings I (used to) have mounted to my 6 might act as good or better in deflecting wind away from the rider's area than a larger base.

(Took 'em off as I had so much air from behind trying to rush up into the 'bubble' at super-slab speeds. Felt like someone was leaning against my upper back/shoulders/helmet)

Seems like there is a limitless combination of variables in our quest!

FWIW, I'm under the assumption I'll be receiving another base with the same dimensions as the last one.

My assumptions were correct. The new base is the same size. It lined up and installed just like it should.

Wife is very anxious to test it out!

So my set up arrived today, a quick test run leads me to believe I will be happy once dialed.

Now, that being said, I didn't get what I ordered.

I was VERY specific, to the point of repeating myself several times, that I wanted the taller base which measures 10" from the bottom of the gasket and not the shorter one. I mentioned that this was most likely a regular GL1800 base. I made a pest of myself in an effort to get what I wanted. Well guess what? Its not 10". Its 8" to the top gasket or 8.8" to the bottom of the gasket.

I know Madstad would send me the other base if I called and bitched, but I shouldn't need to, I put in the effort ahead of time. Oh well such is life and hopefully it winds up being a non issue.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    So my set up arrived today, a quick test run leads me to believe I will be happy once dialed.

Now, that being said, I didn't get what I ordered.

I was VERY specific, to the point of repeating myself several times, that I wanted the taller base which measures 10" from the bottom of the gasket and not the shorter one. I mentioned that this was most likely a regular GL1800 base. I made a pest of myself in an effort to get what I wanted. Well guess what? Its not 10". Its 8" to the top gasket or 8.8" to the bottom of the gasket.

I know Madstad would send me the other base if I called and bitched, but I shouldn't need to, I put in the effort ahead of time. Oh well such is life and hopefully it winds up being a non issue.
    Sounds like you have the same base as mine. I'm very happy with my set-up. My suggestion is, think about this less, and enjoy your ride more...
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King

Quote Originally Posted by chipmaker View Post
    Sounds like you have the same base as mine. I'm very happy with my set-up. My suggestion is, think about this less, and enjoy your ride more...
    Chip I think ultimatly all will work fine with the 9" base, I just don't like being assured of something and getting something else.

I will get more time to dial stuff in tomorrow, then all should be well.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    I admit I'm a bit perplexed at how Madstad 'numerically identifies' their F6B bases.
    Scotrod: In my conversations with Mark at Madstad I coined the phrase 10" Base and referred Mark to this thread to see my photo with tape measure showing 10 inches from top of Base to the Bottom of the faring gasket. Mark made it clear to me at that time the height of their Base was not referenced from the faring gasket (in their vernacular).

I suggested to Mark that they (Madstad) should adopt the faring gasket as a reference line when communicating with F6B owners since this is the most meaningful and easiest reference point for owners.

Took pics of the misalignment and pics of the measurements of the bases above the weather strip on both bikes and sent them to Chris.

Per Chris,, ~8~ above weather strip = 10 inch base (Heck if I know!
    Appears from your measurements Madstad still can't accurately reference Base height relative to the faring gasket? I had hoped your wife's shield kit would include the same Base as I have so you could ride both. Guess I have a One-Off and we are unlikely to get a direct comparison from anyone?

d-shark's bike: