Madstad for F6B - Page 20
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Living in Portland,OR I am sure I will have answers to this soon. I will report back once I do.
    F6BPDX: With regard to Base width I'm curious as to the width of your Base. When sitting on the bike measuring left to right in a straight line (at the lowest and widest point) my Base is 26 inches wide. My base has like winglets that extend left & right beyond the slot in the faring that the lower portion of the Base enters. From the photos of others that I have seen it looks like their Bases are not as wide?

In any even I'm curious about the Base width that Madstad is shipping. I have not had any issue with helmet buffeting and or the width of the calm air pocket that a couple have mentioned.

I've been on the road for work but will post some good photos of my Base next weeks (with dimensions) for anyone interested.

[QUOTE=Scotrod;20076]Some pics of a 15 inch light gray and a 13 inch medium gray:

Thanks for the pics Scott, I think I am going to order a medium tint to go with my dark tint.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    N.P. HiFly!

The Lt gray is pretty 'light',,, Mostly ~invisible~, but there are times in certain light when,,,,,,,,,, believe it or not,,, it truly is light gray!

LOL!!

Memphis Shades has a 'solar' color that I really like,,, As close to invisible as I've had.

The med gray does a better job of 'disguising' the brackets than the light gray.

FWIW, I stood my 15 up a bit straighter this weekend to match the angle of the 13. Can't say for certain that it made much difference, but 'looks' perhaps a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    F6BPDX: With regard to Base width I'm curious as to the width of your Base. When sitting on the bike measuring left to right in a straight line (at the lowest and widest point) my Base is 26 inches wide. My base has like winglets that extend left & right beyond the slot in the faring that the lower portion of the Base enters. From the photos of others that I have seen it looks like their Bases are not as wide?

In any even I'm curious about the Base width that Madstad is shipping. I have not had any issue with helmet buffeting and or the width of the calm air pocket that a couple have mentioned.

I've been on the road for work but will post some good photos of my Base next weeks (with dimensions) for anyone interested.
    My base shield is as wide as the top edge of the shelter, but no wider. And measure 8" from top of gasket to top of base (8.75" to bottom of gasket).

I am pretty close to being done with the Madstad to be honest. I think it does some things well, but overall I feel like I am not satisfied enough to justify the costs. The whistle I get and can't find to solve (and that is after masking off the brackets, the two "nostril" inlets, doing weather stripping, masking the corners where the base meets the dash, etc), and the amount of air that hits directly in my eyes from the base shield are driving me a bit nuts. I am probably going to throw my old shield back on and see if I have a "holy $&*# this sucks!" moment, and if not I think the Madstad will go back in favor of something more traditional.

So last night I went through and pulled the Madstad system off the bike, reinstalled my previous 16" Tulsa, and then boxed up the Madstad intending to send it back today.

My ride in to work did remind me of how much better life is behind the Madstad but that whistle is killing me, something dawned on me that I didn't try and I am wondering if Scotrod or someone else that also has a whistle can give a shot. As I was taking apart the Madstad to box it up I noticed dirt under the brackets where they mount to the base and it dawned on me that neither side of the bracket mounts air tight to the base or shield. I have exhausted every other place a whistle could logically be coming from and this seems like it may fit the bill as air rushing up the base would be in the perfect location to run between these points.

So can one of you guys try either blocking that area off with tape or putting something between it and the shield to see if that solves the issue? I will do it myself if need be but I am really tired of swapping shields at this point.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Anything's possible on the whistle! Mine is so very faint that it doesn't really bother me,,, With a Full Face helmet, I only hear it with the visor down tight/all the vents closed. Open the visor and it's gone. SO, thought it was the helmet,,, Even though both my RF1100 and Qwest make the same noise. (same shield system)

The slow / short ride w/o a helmet is when I heard a whistle as well. (I might have 2 whistles)

What helmet do you wear? Do you get the same whistle w/different helmets?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    What helmet do you wear? Do you get the same whistle w/different helmets?
    Currently a Scorpion EXO500, I have a total POS Speed and Strength as well that I wore yesterday but it fits so poorly it was tough to tell for sure if I could still hear the whistle over the rest of the noise or just thought I could. I do have a Qwest in the mail as we speak which should be here Thursday.

On the Scorpion I notice it mostly with the shield UP, but it is still there with it down. I have tried moving my head in all manner and can't get it to change.

I think I will have to put the Madstad back on tonight and test my theory. HOPEFULLY it works. If not then I will see if my whistle changes or goes away once I have my Qwest on Thursday afternoon.

I really wanted to just put the Madstad on, adjust it, and love it. This whistle business is making me crazy, but the system works so well otherwise that I feel like I have to track it down.

I had an annoying whistle also that I finally discovered after listening to it on a long trip and decided to investigate. It was coming from the cavity at the end of the clutch lever(the little hole under the ball at the end of the lever). I had inadvertently changed the angle of the lever when I put my Ram mount on for my GPS. The air hit it just right and made a whistle sound that was hard to detect exactly where it was coming from. So I readjusted the lever and presto! It was gone.
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    I had an annoying whistle also that I finally discovered after listening to it on a long trip and decided to investigate. It was coming from the cavity at the end of the clutch lever(the little hole under the ball at the end of the lever). I had inadvertently changed the angle of the lever when I put my Ram mount on for my GPS. The air hit it just right and made a whistle sound that was hard to detect exactly where it was coming from. So I readjusted the lever and presto! It was gone.
    I haven't moved the levers but I suppose it's possible that the base of the madstad directs air in a different way. If all else fails I will electrical tape the lever and see if it works just for grins.

Yes, as my feeble mind remembers now, I also put some thick gasket sealer to fill the hole.

As you ride put your finger over that hole and see what happens.
    Save a biker........Open your f-ing eyes!! (and get off your phone)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]