Madstad for F6B - Page 21
Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    If this changes my 'whistle', I'll be stumped, amazed, and happy all at the same time! LOL!

I had what I thought was a whistle also, not continuous but intermittent. I realized when cleaning the Shield one day that if I applied pressure fore & aft to the top of the Shield Base that it would squeak. The Base is pressed up against the Dash and when the Base flexes from pressure the friction causes a Squeak which sounds like a whistle when riding. Took the bike out for a ride and was able to reproduce the Whistle by pushing fore & aft on the top edge of the Base.

I have a spray bottle of Armour-All and sprayed some down into the area between the Dash and Shield Base to reduce friction between the two. This has eliminated 80% of the Squeak (Whistle) on my bike to where I don't notice it. I suppose the Squeak (Whistle) was probably there with my BaggerShield but with the added wind noise could not hear it.

My guess is that the fit between Dash and Base could vary a good bit between bikes since the Dash is not a precision part. Don't know but rounding off any sharp dash edges that may be contacting the Shield Base may help? In my case the Armour-All application made it a non-issue for me.

I spoke to Mark at Madstad today about a few on the forum here that have some buffeting that I am not experiencing. Mark provided the attached drawing showing the F6B Base they are currently shipping (In Red) overlaid on the GL1800 Base I have installed (In Black). I asked Mark to manufacture an F6B Base that has the same upper profile as mine, basically where the lower red lines intersect the vertical black lines everything from that point up will follow the black outline.

Mark is going to ship that to me some time next week. When I receive the base I'm going to remove my front faring cover and confirm that fit and profile are identical to what I have installed. Assuming everything is identical I will be looking for a volunteer that is willing to install this Base and provide us with an objective comparison between the two. I was thinking Scotrod might be a good candidate since he has 2 Madstads installed on two different bikes and access to two different shield heights. If Scotrod does not have the time then perhaps someone else would step up?

I will ship the Base free of charge and if you like it you can keep it courtesy of Madstad Engineering. Just give us a good written comparison. If you don't like it then all I ask is that you ship it to someone else interested in testing it.

I currently have my Sis in from out of state and the weather here sux,,,

Hope you Madstad guys can find a solution to these issues...I will stick with my Baggershield as it works great for me and I can ride and enjoy without worry...Just my opinion, but it seems to me there are lot of issues here for just a windshield...Is it really that much better than others???..I wonder....

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Hope you Madstad guys can find a solution to these issues...I will stick with my Baggershield as it works great for me and I can ride and enjoy without worry...Just my opinion, but it seems to me there are lot of issues here for just a windshield...Is it really that much better than others???..I wonder....
    I had the BaggerShield and thought it was pretty good. I purchased the Madstad because I was curious and I can tell you there is NO comparison, it is not even close.

I know a few are having some issues that I'm not having. Currently I'm the only one running the GL1800 style Base so that could be part of the difference ???

Wife and I both had convertible Baggershields. Now we both have Madstads. We both know what we prefer. Our Baggershields are for sale.

The 'issues' I am having are so small its more of an observance than an issue.

Before the wife got her Madstad, She and I switched bikes. (Mine-Madstad. Hers-Baggershield convertible @ 19 inches)

After ~10~ miles, I was MORE than happy to get off her 6 and back on mine!!! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    As much as I have bitched and moaned about the whistle problem, yes the Madstad really is that much better. My Tulsa was head and shoulders above stock, and the Madstad destroys the Tulsa.

I wish it had no issues, but the good outweighs the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    I spoke to Mark at Madstad today about a few on the forum here that have some buffeting that I am not experiencing. Mark provided the attached drawing showing the F6B Base they are currently shipping (In Red) overlaid on the GL1800 Base I have installed (In Black). I asked Mark to manufacture an F6B Base that has the same upper profile as mine, basically where the lower red lines intersect the vertical black lines everything from that point up will follow the black outline.

Mark is going to ship that to me some time next week. When I receive the base I'm going to remove my front faring cover and confirm that fit and profile are identical to what I have installed. Assuming everything is identical I will be looking for a volunteer that is willing to install this Base and provide us with an objective comparison between the two. I was thinking Scotrod might be a good candidate since he has 2 Madstads installed on two different bikes and access to two different shield heights. If Scotrod does not have the time then perhaps someone else would step up?

I will ship the Base free of charge and if you like it you can keep it courtesy of Madstad Engineering. Just give us a good written comparison. If you don't like it then all I ask is that you ship it to someone else interested in testing it.

I would be happy to play guinea pig if you think it would help. I do think Scotrod would be ideal though for the same reason you did. My only real issue is the whistle though so not really sure if I am helpfull enough.

I love my Madstad. Like on all forums, complaints get the most notice. I wouldn't switch my Madstad for any shield. It took a bit of tweaking to get perfect. Maybe, like everything else, it can't be perfect for everyone?? Different riders size, different helmets, different expectations, etc.
    2015 HD Ultra Glide
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    1997 Low Tahoe
    2002 HD Road King