Madstad for F6B - Page 22
Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    I would be happy to play guinea pig if you think it would help. I do think Scotrod would be ideal though for the same reason you did. My only real issue is the whistle though so not really sure if I am helpfull enough.
    F6BPDX: I sent you a Personal Message.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    I would be happy to play guinea pig if you think it would help. I do think Scotrod would be ideal though for the same reason you did. My only real issue is the whistle though so not really sure if I am helpfull enough.
    If I were to do it, I'd have to do it just as dang accurate as I could, meaning same day, same road , exact same conditions, same helmet, same everything,,,

But,,, before any of that happens, I'd need to tune/experiment with the new base first,,,,,

So, I'd have to mark/photograph my current set up,,, test and tune with new base, then immediately swap bases / reset brackets to what they were with my original base, and immediately ride again to get a 'close as possible' comparo,,, and then try to determine/define a difference/preference,,,

And,,,, at the end of the day,, as mentioned before,,, What works for me may not make a difference to someone who has a different overall size, different seat, different risers, different helmet,,,

I'm well north of 300 lbs, I have a loooong torso, I use a DayLong Saddle made just for me that sits me a little higher than OEM, and as far as I know, I'm the only one running a 15 inch shield,,,

Not really your 'average' F6B/rider/Madstad combo,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    If I were to do it, I'd have to do it just as dang accurate as I could, meaning same day, same road , exact same conditions, same helmet, same everything,,,

But,,, before any of that happens, I'd need to tune/experiment with the new base first,,,,,

So, I'd have to mark/photograph my current set up,,, test and tune with new base, then immediately swap bases / reset brackets to what they were with my original base, and immediately ride again to get a 'close as possible' comparo,,, and then try to determine/define a difference/preference,,,

And,,,, at the end of the day,, as mentioned before,,, What works for me may not make a difference to someone who has a different overall size, different seat, different risers, different helmet,,,

I'm well north of 300 lbs, I have a loooong torso, I use a DayLong Saddle made just for me that sits me a little higher than OEM, and as far as I know, I'm the only one running a 15 inch shield,,,

Not really your 'average' F6B/rider/Madstad combo,,,,
    Scotrod: I agree with all you have said and realize this takes more than a little time and effort for anyone taking on the task of comparing the two Bases. Since I was not sure you would have the time I sent a PM to F6BPDX since he indicated he might be interested. I indicated to F6BPDX that getting the comparison done quickly is not the objective. Let's face it, weather everywhere is going to suck for a while.

As you indicate it would be important to ride behind both in somewhat of a controlled fashion. In the end if one Base does not perform noticeably better than the other then we can put the whole subject to rest and move on. I like the fact that you have a a few issues with the Madstad. In the end the GL1800 style Base will either address those or not which is the purpose of the whole exercise.

I've not gotten a response from F6BPDX, lets see where he is at on the subject and I'll let you know. Thanks for your offer to help.

GL1800 Base:

Thought I would post a couple of photos of the GL1800 Base mounted on my F6B for anyone interested in the physical difference between the F6B Base and the GL1800 Base Madstad mistakenly shipped to me.

Madstad Whistle:

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    I had what I thought was a whistle also, not continuous but intermittent. I realized when cleaning the Shield one day that if I applied pressure fore & aft to the top of the Shield Base that it would squeak. The Base is pressed up against the Dash and when the Base flexes from pressure the friction causes a Squeak which sounds like a whistle when riding. Took the bike out for a ride and was able to reproduce the Whistle by pushing fore & aft on the top edge of the Base.

I have a spray bottle of Armour-All and sprayed some down into the area between the Dash and Shield Base to reduce friction between the two. This has eliminated 80% of the Squeak (Whistle) on my bike to where I don't notice it. I suppose the Squeak (Whistle) was probably there with my BaggerShield but with the added wind noise could not hear it.

My guess is that the fit between Dash and Base could vary a good bit between bikes since the Dash is not a precision part. Don't know but rounding off any sharp dash edges that may be contacting the Shield Base may help? In my case the Armour-All application made it a non-issue for me.
    Pulled the GL1800 Base off my F6B today to see where the contact points were between the Base and Dash causing the Squeaking that sounds like a Whistle when riding my bike. In this photo I attached Red Dots where it was obvious the Base and Dash were contacting and chaffing causing the Squeak (Whistle) when the Base would Flex due to wind pressure on the Shield.

Took a look at my old BaggerShield and it did not have any chaffing marks on the back side of the Shield in the areas indicated in the photo above. Evidently the Madstad GL1800 Base has a little less curvature than the BaggerShield which allows it to contact in the areas indicated near the center of the Base. I'm going to apply some felt strips to eliminate direct contact between the Base and the areas indicated to eliminate all Squeaking when the Base flexes from wind pressure on the Shield.

We are in a deep freeze here in IL so it will likely be several weeks before I can ride to determine if all Whistling has been eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post

There is, (I assume,) an image showing the differences in the 2 bases in D-Sharks previous post #203,,, Am I the only one who cant see it?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    There is, (I assume,) an image showing the differences in the 2 bases in D-Sharks previous post #203,,, Am I the only one who cant see it?
    That's interesting Scotrod, the image shows up when I view the post ??? I did this one a little different, let me know if you can view it now.

D, I couldn't see the photo before and now I can. I did get your PM and am interested/willing if Scotrod doesn't feel he has the time. I do not have any of the buffeting that Scotrod mentioned however, nor the back pressure so I won't be any help in that regard. I do get a slight wind in my face (think maybe sitting in front of a household fan on medium perhaps) but I think that is by design/to be expected to a certain degree.

My only ongoing issue is really this damn whistle, if there was no whistle at this point I would give the Madstad a solid 10.

So far my attempts to solve have been:

Foam weather stripping along the base under the bottom edge.
    Rubber gasket under the robo brackets where they meet the base
    Masking off the "nostril vents"
    Masking off the edge where the base meets the cowel/dash
    Masking off all holes on the robo brackets

When D mentioned the squeak I realized mine did it too,but that was solved by loosening up the bolts a little and adding a piece of a rubber innertube at each top corner of the shield. Alas no change in whistle.

Whistle is present in both an EXO-500 and a Shoei Qwest, so helmet has been ruled out. Also present regardless of if I use the 11" or 13" shield, and regardless of height setting of brackets.

Got it now!!! Thanks D!!!!

D, I couldn't see the photo before and now I can. I did get your PM and am interested/willing if Scotrod doesn't feel he has the time.

By all means, don't wait on me! Give it a spin and see what ya think!!!

I do not have any of the buffeting that Scotrod mentioned however, nor the back pressure so I won't be any help in that regard. I do get a slight wind in my face (think maybe sitting in front of a household fan on medium perhaps) but I think that is by design/to be expected to a certain degree.

FWIW, I fully opened and then later removed my mirror-mounted wind wings. This made a big difference / removed the backpressure

My only ongoing issue is really this damn whistle, if there was no whistle at this point I would give the Madstad a solid 10.

Have you tried taping closed the hollow open 'ball' under the outer tip of each lever?
    OT, but how do you like the Qwest?