Madstad for F6B - Page 23
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    OT, but how do you like the Qwest?
    I haven't tried taping off both. Have covered clutch side while riding with no change.

As far as the Qwest goes I really like it a lot. Fits great, and is very quiet both open and closed. I will wind up investing another $80 to go pinlock, and getting my Sena installed was a bit more time consuming due to the non removable liner. All in all though I consider it a great buy.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    D, I couldn't see the photo before and now I can. I did get your PM and am interested/willing if Scotrod doesn't feel he has the time. I do not have any of the buffeting that Scotrod mentioned however, nor the back pressure so I won't be any help in that regard. I do get a slight wind in my face (think maybe sitting in front of a household fan on medium perhaps) but I think that is by design/to be expected to a certain degree.

My only ongoing issue is really this damn whistle, if there was no whistle at this point I would give the Madstad a solid 10.

So far my attempts to solve have been:

Foam weather stripping along the base under the bottom edge.
    Rubber gasket under the robo brackets where they meet the base
    Masking off the "nostril vents"
    Masking off the edge where the base meets the cowel/dash
    Masking off all holes on the robo brackets

When D mentioned the squeak I realized mine did it too,but that was solved by loosening up the bolts a little and adding a piece of a rubber innertube at each top corner of the shield. Alas no change in whistle.

Whistle is present in both an EXO-500 and a Shoei Qwest, so helmet has been ruled out. Also present regardless of if I use the 11" or 13" shield, and regardless of height setting of brackets.
    As far as the Whistle I'm wondering if the differences in the Base dimensions make any difference?? On the other hand the Whistle seems to be more severe in your case compared to what others are reporting. Just for grins I removed my GL1800 Base this morning. In the process I got a good look at the substantial gap between the Base & Dash, at least 1/4" in the areas to the Left & Right of center. Just to see I mounted my old BaggerShield and the gaps were basically the same. I never noticed a Whistle with the BaggerShield but then again the wind noise from that shield would have masked it.

As mentioned earlier I'm going to mount some adhesive felt strips to eliminate all squeaks when the base flexes and let you know the results when we get a reasonable day here to ride. In my case I was able to consistently reproduce the Whistle by applying pressure fore & aft along the top edge of the Base at speed. The volume of the Whistle was never obnoxious on my bike. On my recent FL trip I wore a Half Helmet all the way and did not notice the Whistle at all.

At this point I'll plan on shipping the new Base to you (F6BPDX) once I've confirmed the fit on my Bike. Want to be sure Mark at Madstad and I were on the same page as far as what I am expecting to receive. Just PM me some time with name & address.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    As far as the Whistle I'm wondering if the differences in the Base dimensions make any difference?? On the other hand the Whistle seems to be more severe in your case compared to what others are reporting. Just for grins I removed my GL1800 Base this morning. In the process I got a good look at the substantial gap between the Base & Dash, at least 1/4" in the areas to the Left & Right of center. Just to see I mounted my old BaggerShield and the gaps were basically the same. I never noticed a Whistle with the BaggerShield but then again the wind noise from that shield would have masked it.

As mentioned earlier I'm going to mount some adhesive felt strips to eliminate all squeaks when the base flexes and let you know the results when we get a reasonable day here to ride. In my case I was able to consistently reproduce the Whistle by applying pressure fore & aft along the top edge of the Base at speed. The volume of the Whistle was never obnoxious on my bike. On my recent FL trip I wore a Half Helmet all the way and did not notice the Whistle at all.

At this point I'll plan on shipping the new Base to you (F6BPDX) once I've confirmed the fit on my Bike. Want to be sure Mark at Madstad and I were on the same page as far as what I am expecting to receive. Just PM me some time with name & address.
    My whistle is constant and reliable at 40+ mph. It was not there on my Tulsa. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    My whistle is constant and reliable at 40+ mph. It was not there on my Tulsa. Very frustrating.
    Received the GL1800 Base with F6B mounting holes Friday and fitted it to my Bike this morning (Saturday). It's a good fit and all Base dimensions are within 1/8" of the unit I have. Did have a good bit of chaffing on the front center of the Base from shipping. Was able to buff that out using Kit scratch & haze remover with a good bit of elbow grease. Seems I had some chaffing on my unit too. I'll mention that to Mark at Madstad. Anyway tried to pack the unit better for the trip to F6BPDX, will ship Monday.

I must be a bit slow but after having the Base on & off so many times it's pretty clear that Honda engineers intended there to be a gap between the Dash and the backside of a conventional windshield. Vents in the top Faring cover allow air to enter flowing up and behind a conventional shield (or in our case the Madstad base). I don't see any other reason for the front faring vent or the intentional gap Honda engineers designed between the Dash & back side of a conventional shield. The gap is not due to a sloppy fit but rather looks like it's intentional due to the design. So it seems the Honda engineers intended to let air flow up the back side of a conventional shield in a manner similar to how the Madstad functions.

In any event back to the Whistle F6BPDX is experiencing. I mentioned I have an intermittent Whistle like squeak due to the Base rubbing against the dash where F6BPDX has a constant Whistle. Definitely sounds like two different issues. Since I don't have any type of constant Whistle I'm cautiously optimistic the new Base will change wind flow characteristics enough to eliminate F6BPDX's Whistle issue?

I must be a bit slow but after having the Base on & off so many times it's pretty clear that Honda engineers intended there to be a gap between the Dash and the backside of a conventional windshield. Vents in the top Faring cover allow air to enter flowing up and behind a conventional shield (or in our case the Madstad base). I don't see any other reason for the front faring vent or the intentional gap Honda engineers designed between the Dash & back side of a conventional shield. The gap is not due to a sloppy fit but rather looks like it's intentional due to the design. So it seems the Honda engineers intended to let air flow up the back side of a conventional shield in a manner similar to how the Madstad functions.
    d-shark, Honda did not plan or intend for there to be a gap between the OEM windshield, and the dash of the bike. On a brand new GL-1800 or brand new F6B, there is no gap there, with the OEM windshield in place. The mold of the OEM windshield fits nicely up against the dash, and does not allow for a gap.

Taking that into consideration, at least one of the aftermarket windshield manufacturers does supply a thick rubber gasket to install between the dash, and their windshield that they sell. I know, as I have that thick rubber gasket on my bike. Honda never designed the bike to have that gap there. But that specific molding of the lower part of the windshield to fit snugly up against the dash is difficult for aftermarket windshield manufacturers to replicate. Therefore, when installing an aftermarket windshield on a GL-1800 based bike...93.14159 % of the aftermarket windshields will produce the aforementioned gap between the dash and the windshield.

I can tell you that with the thick rubber gasket I have in place on my bike, supplied by the aftermarket windshield company, there is no gap, and no dust comes up between the dash and windshield. The beauty of getting that thick rubber gasket the first time is...anytime I change out windshields to try a different one, I still get to use that thick rubber gasket with all other windshields. It perfectly fills in the "gap".

BTW, that thick rubber gasket can be bought, alone and separate from a windshield, from one of the aftermarket companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    d-shark, Honda did not plan or intend for there to be a gap between the OEM windshield, and the dash of the bike. On a brand new GL-1800 or brand new F6B, there is no gap there, with the OEM windshield in place. The mold of the OEM windshield fits nicely up against the dash, and does not allow for a gap.

Taking that into consideration, at least one of the aftermarket windshield manufacturers does supply a thick rubber gasket to install between the dash, and their windshield that they sell. I know, as I have that thick rubber gasket on my bike. Honda never designed the bike to have that gap there. But that specific molding of the lower part of the windshield to fit snugly up against the dash is difficult for aftermarket windshield manufacturers to replicate. Therefore, when installing an aftermarket windshield on a GL-1800 based bike...93.14159 % of the aftermarket windshields will produce the aforementioned gap between the dash and the windshield.

I can tell you that with the thick rubber gasket I have in place on my bike, supplied by the aftermarket windshield company, there is no gap, and no dust comes up between the dash and windshield. The beauty of getting that thick rubber gasket the first time is...anytime I change out windshields to try a different one, I still get to use that thick rubber gasket with all other windshields. It perfectly fills in the "gap".

BTW, that thick rubber gasket can be bought, alone and separate from a windshield, from one of the aftermarket companies.

Miles,

Thanks for the background, did not know this since my F6B did not come with the stock shield. Any chance you have a link to where the gasket you refer to can be purchased separately ??? I've checked several sites and am coming up empty.

Miles,

Thanks for the background, did not know this since my F6B did not come with the stock shield. Any chance you have a link to where the gasket you refer to can be purchased separately ??? I've checked several sites and am coming up empty.
    d-shark, I do not believe there is a specific link to the rubber gasket. I am NOT trying to promote this company, just trying to assist a fellow forum member here, so when I mention the rubber gasket is supplied by Tulsa Products, at All American Products, http://www.allamericanprod.com/+2oem.html, you need to call them, talk to Allen, and specifically ask for that rubber gasket. Don't even bother telling him it is for an F6B. Just ask for the think rubber gasket they supply for the Goldwing 1800 windshields.

I sent off an email to Allen about cost and how to order. I will let you know what I find out D.

Following up on input from Miles I found these photos of a stock GL1800 Shield on ebay. The irregular molded contour of the Shield to match the irregular contour of the dash is clearly visible. Just curious, was the short Stock F6B shield molded to match the contour of the dash like this??? Looks like from the few photos I've been able to find on the Net the answer is no??? I've never seen the Stock F6B Shield in person.

Here is a photo of a Stock F6B Shield which does not appear to have the irregular molded contour??? Is that correct or is this just a poor photo?

Following up on input from Miles I found these photos of a stock GL1800 Shield on ebay. The irregular molded contour of the Shield to match the irregular contour of the dash is clearly visible. Just curious, was the short Stock F6B shield molded to match the contour of the dash like this??? Looks like from the few photos I've been able to find on the Net the answer is no??? I've never seen the Stock F6B Shield in person.

Here is a photo of a Stock F6B Shield which does not appear to have the irregular molded contour??? Is that correct or is this just a poor photo?
    d-shark, your impressions are correct about the stock windshield. After you posted this, I had to go out...in the snow...and look at the two original F6B windshields I have in my motorcycle garage, and they do NOT have the irregular molded contour that a stock GL-1800 Goldwing windshield has.

I can assure you, Honda did not alleviate that irregular molded contour on the F6B windshield in an effort to allow venting up through there. They neglected to include the irregular molded contour because....it was cheaper...and they already figured out that 93.14159 % of us would change out the stock windshield as the first thing we change on our bikes.