Madstad for F6B - Page 27
Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

I'm starting small... but will go bigger if I don't get the wind protection that I'm hoping for.

D-shark made an interesting comment earlier... he said his 11" protected slightly better than his 13".

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    HMMM, Am I the only one with a 15???
    Wife has a 13, and I've swapped with her only to trade back again,,,
    I can't fathom how you can even see over the 15". My 13" will start intruding on my line of sight at 1" up from full down on even the slightest of inclines. Are you looking through the shield?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Nope. I hate lookin through a shield,,,

I'm not runnin 60 degrees of rake,,,, closer to OEM rake, so that's probably a good part of it.

Tried the wifes 13 @ 60,, the 15 @ 60,,, eh,,, keep falling back to the 15 @ something 'close' to OEM rake,,,

IMHO, this produces the most/strongest blast of air upwards along the back of the shield, which in turn 'pushes' the oncoming air in front of the shield upwards. IMHO, less air 'spin' created as the airspeed on both sides of the shield is 'relatively close'.

IMHO, a shield at 60 degrees is more of a 'plow/pusher' than an extension of the upper fairing,,, but,,, I'm no expert.

Nope. I hate lookin through a shield,,,

I'm not runnin 60 degrees of rake,,,, closer to OEM rake, so that's probably a good part of it.

Tried the wifes 13 @ 60,, the 15 @ 60,,, eh,,, keep falling back to the 15 @ something 'close' to OEM rake,,,

IMHO, this produces the most/strongest blast of air upwards along the back of the shield, which in turn 'pushes' the oncoming air in front of the shield upwards. IMHO, less air 'spin' created as the airspeed on both sides of the shield is 'relatively close'.

IMHO, a shield at 60 degrees is more of a 'plow/pusher' than an extension of the upper fairing,,, but,,, I'm no expert.
    I have tried the OEM rake as well, and it smoothes out the air for sure vs a traditional shield, but to me it doesn't "pop" the air over your head anymore, just smoothes it out as it hits your face. Different strokes, as they say.

Not to but I wonder also if you are taller than I think you are. For some reason I am assuming you are roughly the same height as me (6'ish) and even at OEM rake all the way down I would have, what I consider, intrusion into my line of sight with a 15" shield. Of course "intrusion into your field of vision" is also subjective.

I have switched my Madstad around probably 50 different times, much to the eye rolling chagrin of my wife, and keep coming back to my 11" shield at ~60 degree rake and about 1" up from full down. My 13" does put the air further over my head, but it bugs me being "in my line of sight".

I should close this by saying for anyone looking at a Madstad, don't take my constant adjustments to mean the system doesn't work, it does, and fantastically well, I am just a serial tinkerer and constantly think "this is great, but what if I..."

Nope, not tall. 6-0, but with a long torso and an RDL seat that places me a bit higher than OEM.

I tend to ~aim~ the 'air' right at very top edge of my helmet shield. Very little head rattle but still keeps the air moving rapidly over the top helmet vents.

I'm also north of 300 lbs, so I feel a little like an elephant trying to hide behind a phone pole with any 'small' screen,,,

Another score for Madstad Engineering!

I just installed mine tonight and it's truly a world of difference from the stock F6 windshield. Just like many here have said, I was able to ride around all evening with my faceshield up listening to the radio. It's such an improved riding experience that I really didn't want to get off.

I can confirm the comments here that said these are shipping with the 9 inch base shield and if I understand right, they are the "Goldwing" version; that is, they have the little winglets or extensions on the ends.

At 5'11" with 32" inseam I'm able to set the height of my 11" screen at the midpoint and virtually any angle seems to kick the air stream over the top of my helmet.

I was a little concerned about the looks but after installing it, I'm actually kind of proud of it. It's a purposeful, industrial look that goes well with the bike IMO. I haven't seen this on the pics posted (maybe I wasn't looking hard enough) but "Madstad" is now engraved very tastefully at the bottom of the outer shield.

I feel like this was money well spent. Thank you sincerely to everyone in this thread, particularly the early major contributors... you know who you are

But,,, but,,, but,,, it doesn't LOOK COOL!!!!!

Hell, if half of us were honest with ourselves, we'd look in the mirror and give up on 'looking cool' altogether!!!

But,,, but,,, but,,, it doesn't LOOK COOL!!!!!

Hell, if half of us were honest with ourselves, we'd look in the mirror and give up on 'looking cool' altogether!!!
    and that my friend is why I avoid mirrors!
    (says the guy w/ a bra on his head)
    "Great Britain's a great country, but it's not an idea ... that's how we see [America] around the world, one of the greatest ideas in human history." Bono

Once a person learns to laugh at themselves, and not take life too seriously,,,

Beats the hell outta