Madstad for F6B - Page 32
Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2223242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

I ordered my 11" shield last Sunday evening and it was delivered on Thursday. I rode Saturday and installed it today - easy enough install I wish I would have done it Saturday before ride. Wonderful product.

Well I put 300 mile on today and tryed all different angles and heights and almost every angle produces a whstile over 40mph.. BUT in lower positions and angled up i can get the wistle to stop. I put tape over every screw head and wrapped the knobs trying to eliminate the whistle. I even pulled the windshield off and put the fuzzy part of velcro between the shield and the brackets to fill the small gap. Nothing did the trick. I pulled the outer shield off and left the small shield and brackets mounted and went for a ride. No whistle. When the shield is in the lower position and tilted up, that must squeeze the breeze between the shield and the Fairing just enough to change something, but I am not sure what just yet.
    Enough today, time to step away and think on it..

Ideas anyone ????

Attachment 8603
    Contact mark I was having a whistle and went with a 15" shield with the mounting holes lowered
    1",and the whistle is gone.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When I installed my Madstad I filled the gap under the lower shield with weatherstripping; this is the gap between the lower shield and the faring on the bike. I can't say if the weatherstripping is a coincidence or a solution but I don't have any whistling.

Quote Originally Posted by naga viper View Post
    Attachment 8603
    Contact mark I was having a whistle and went with a 15" shield with the mounting holes lowered
    1",and the whistle is gone.
    I will look into that as I have the 13" and look well over it.

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    When I installed my Madstad I filled the gap under the lower shield with weatherstripping; this is the gap between the lower shield and the faring on the bike. I can't say if the weatherstripping is a coincidence or a solution but I don't have any whistling.

Do you mean inside the Fairing? As if air is traveling in the Fairing vents and as the air exits around the shield it whistles. hhuummmm
    I do also notice a squeak at low speeds, and I can duplicate by wiggling the windshield... Something else to look at. Thanks

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Do you mean inside the Fairing? As if air is traveling in the Fairing vents and as the air exits around the shield it whistles. hhuummmm
    I do also notice a squeak at low speeds, and I can duplicate by wiggling the windshield... Something else to look at. Thanks
    I've added/removed foam from the same gap between shield/dash,,, No difference in sound.

Depending on your 'squeak', you may tighten the 'bracket to bracket' bolts and reduce/eliminate that particular noise.

I get a 'high speed wind over a screen' type of whistle at speed with the shield standing up at 60 degrees. Tilt it back and/or /tilt it back pick it up gets rid of the 'screen whistle' for me. Doesn't happen unless its upright and 'down-ish'

Early on I noticed the squeak you describe that can be duplicated by wiggling the windshield. In my case the rearward facing side of the Base Shield was contacting the Dash at a couple distinct points causing the Squeak when the Base Shield was flexed. Initially I applied Armour All to the contact surfaces allowing the two surfaces to slide against one another eliminating the Squeak.

Later I applied Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal 1-1/4" wide, 7/16" thick, purchased in a 10 foot roll at Lowes (#Black R516). Applied this in the gap between the Base Shield and Dash. This provided much more uniform contact surface between the Base Shield & Dash. This added contact surface also seems to stiffen the Base Shield resulting in much less flexing and no Squeaks.

I have what I would describe as a very faint Whistle at times (running with 11" shield). I can hear the Whistle only because the Madstad produces such low wind noise at the rider position. I can also hear sounds from the Engine & Tranny that I could not hear before as the result of the lower wind noise.

From the posts here it is clear the Whistle is Offensive to some and Barely Noticed by others. To me when I do notice the Whistle it's like a "Happy Little Birdie Whistling" to others it's the "Freaking Whistle That Won't Go Away". Those with an annoying Whistle might try applying the Frost King Weatherseal as I describe. It really provides the Base Shield with quite a bit more support & rigidity to eliminate flexing and might help to minimize the Whistle?

Well I put 300 mile on today and tryed all different angles and heights and almost every angle produces a whstile over 40mph.. BUT in lower positions and angled up i can get the wistle to stop. I put tape over every screw head and wrapped the knobs trying to eliminate the whistle. I even pulled the windshield off and put the fuzzy part of velcro between the shield and the brackets to fill the small gap. Nothing did the trick. I pulled the outer shield off and left the small shield and brackets mounted and went for a ride. No whistle. When the shield is in the lower position and tilted up, that must squeeze the breeze between the shield and the Fairing just enough to change something, but I am not sure what just yet.
    Enough today, time to step away and think on it..

Ideas anyone ????
    If you look back through this thread you will notice I tried about everything in the book. At a 60 degree angle there was nothing for me that got rid of the whistle. I have been running lately at about a 53 degree angle using the lower mounting position and the whistle is not present.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    Early on I noticed the squeak you describe that can be duplicated by wiggling the windshield. In my case the rearward facing side of the Base Shield was contacting the Dash at a couple distinct points causing the Squeak when the Base Shield was flexed. Initially I applied Armour All to the contact surfaces allowing the two surfaces to slide against one another eliminating the Squeak.

Later I applied Frost King Rubber Foam Weatherseal 1-1/4" wide, 7/16" thick, purchased in a 10 foot roll at Lowes (#Black R516). Applied this in the gap between the Base Shield and Dash. This provided much more uniform contact surface between the Base Shield & Dash. This added contact surface also seems to stiffen the Base Shield resulting in much less flexing and no Squeaks.

The squeak I will look into this eve. Thanks for the info on your fix... The whistle is real bad. Depending on the angle or height I can still hear it up to 70mph. And that is with a 13" shield. At 40mph it makes me crazy.