Madstad for F6B - Page 33
Page 33 of 38 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132333435363738 LastLast

Thread: Madstad for F6B

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    If you look back through this thread you will notice I tried about everything in the book. At a 60 degree angle there was nothing for me that got rid of the whistle. I have been running lately at about a 53 degree angle using the lower mounting position and the whistle is not present.

My unit does not have the option for lower mounting position. Do you mean how the bracket mounts to the base or shield, or how the base mounts to the bike??? OR JUST sliding the shield down? For me the only way to quiet the whistle is to slide the shield down and angle it so that very little air goes up between the shield and fairing.

I actually read every post from beginning to end when I was looking into the Madstad and did read about the whistle and your issues, but never read any positive find or fix from anyone. I tried the same as you with tape over everything I could think would be a cause with the same results. I really didn't think my results would be different but I had to try.
    Some say to find that "just right position" and the whistle will go away but the reason I got this shield was for the adjust-ability. I may want the shield all the way down for some rides and up for a passenger or other reason.
    My quest continues...

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Odd part is,,,, Some whistle a bit, some adjust out of it easily, (like mine) and some seem to have a heck of a time getting rid of it,,,

FWIW, my 'whistle' only happens at certain speeds certain tilt. I have to try hard to make it whistle vs. trying hard to not make it whistle.

While the 60 degree mark may be a general 'one size fits most' recommendation from Madstad, and that setting 'may' give you the most air deflection as possible from a small shield, (depending on what bike you have, etc etc etc,) it isn't the only combination you have to run,,, I rarely run 60... I find that matching the base's rake, IMHO, looks better, and doesn't "plow" as much air,,,

But every situation is a bit different,,,

What type of helmet are the 'whistlers' wearing? 1/2 lids?

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    Odd part is,,,, Some whistle a bit, some adjust out of it easily, (like mine) and some seem to have a heck of a time getting rid of it,,,

What type of helmet are the 'whistlers' wearing? 1/2 lids?

For yesterdays ride and most of the testing I was in a 1/2 HJC with drop down shield, but once I got home and was making test runs. NO helmet.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    As can be anticipated, those who wear 3/4 or full helmets probably can't hear the 'whistle',,,(as clearly)

I never did till I donned a 1/2 lid,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Scotrod View Post
    As can be anticipated, those who wear 3/4 or full helmets probably can't hear the 'whistle',,,(as clearly)

I never did till I donned a 1/2 lid,,,

my whistle was all full face (Scorpion Exo 500 and Shoei Qwest)

Madstad whistle fixed !!!

Well I put a call in to Madstad and was advised that sometimes the shield edge is cut sharp and the edge is not rounded enough.
    Soo I pulled out a roll of electrical tape and ran across the leading edge and went for a ride. Sure enough NO WHISTLE.
    I did reach up over the shield and remove the tape at about 50 mph (not advisable) but wasn't able to pull it off slowly to see when the whistle would come back. So if you have a whistle this test may be worth a try for you...

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Well I put a call in to Madstad and was advised that sometimes the shield edge is cut sharp and the edge is not rounded enough.
    Soo I pulled out a roll of electrical tape and ran across the leading edge and went for a ride. Sure enough NO WHISTLE.
    I did reach up over the shield and remove the tape at about 50 mph (not advisable) but wasn't able to pull it off slowly to see when the whistle would come back. So if you have a whistle this test may be worth a try for you...
    Well that is about the only place I didn't put a piece of tape so that makes sense that it would be the thing that would work.

Now, this brings me to another thing.... I have said twice in this thread I believe that Madstad is really shooting themselves in the foot with listening and quality control. They have sent out the wrong packages more than once, and now they say "Oh yeah, sometimes we don't finish our edges right, throw a piece of tape on it". Seems like a bit of a cop out.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    If that is the cause then it would make sense why some seem to have the whistle worse than others, Manufacturing Variation. I checked the edges of my shield and they are fairly smooth all around. Did Madstad happen to mention what method & material they use to round the edges (a very fine emery cloth perhaps)?

Thanks for that input.

Quote Originally Posted by F6BPDX View Post
    Well that is about the only place I didn't put a piece of tape so that makes sense that it would be the thing that would work.

Now, this brings me to another thing.... I have said twice in this thread I believe that Madstad is really shooting themselves in the foot with listening and quality control. They have sent out the wrong packages more than once, and now they say "Oh yeah, sometimes we don't finish our edges right, throw a piece of tape on it". Seems like a bit of a cop out.

I didn't feel there was any cop out by them. Their sugestion was to help me find the whistle. Actually the edges have a nice bevel so I don't know why it even helped. BUT IT DID.. I told him I would give it a shot and call back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by d-shark View Post
    If that is the cause then it would make sense why some seem to have the whistle worse than others, Manufacturing Variation. I checked the edges of my shield and they are fairly smooth all around. Did Madstad happen to mention what method & material they use to round the edges (a very fine emery cloth perhaps)?

Thanks for that input.

I will be calling tomorrow to let them know my finding and go from there..