Best replacement windshield?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best replacement windshield?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I have no issues at all with the Baggershield 11-19" on my bike. Had it since new and see no reason to try others..No buffeting, hardly any wind noise, durable and looks great on the bike.....JMHO
    Wow, it seems everyone has a different opinion on this one. I love the price of the baggershield adjustable, only $139!
    My concern with that shield is if dirt or grit gets between the 2 shields and you raise or lower the extension, don't you get scratches in one or both pieces? I'm also not too keen with the fact that one shield is tinted and the extension is clear. I'd prefer to have both pieces smoked, though I realize having the extension clear is because when it's raised you will be looking through the shield instead of over it.

I like the looks of the F4shield but the price, yikes! I like the scratch resistant properties and the fact I can clean it with paper towels and Windex if I want. I'm basically lazy when it comes to cleaning the bike and will take the easy route if given the opportunity. I had a Vulcan Nomad and scratching the OEM shield was a BIG problem! I suspect the baggershield will be made of the same easily scratched material as that shield and therefor my comments about scratching when raising & lowering the clear extension.

I live in Bend, Oregon where there are 4-5 months each year where riding is not safe (snow & ice on the roads) and we rarely hit over 100 in the summers, so I doubt I'd need a vent. I've been riding an M109R with no shield here for 10 years and don't miss not having one, but then again I got the F6B so I would have the ability to take road trips so.... (yeah, I'm rambling, this is how I work through things, I've been accused of over thinking things, LOL!)

I like the one that the first Steve mentioned, the Klock Werks Flare. The shorter one of those in dark tint may be my best choice, but I'd hate to spend $300 on something and not be able to try it out first. How scratch resistant is this shield? Does anyone know?

Attachment 24906

Also, the clear view shield, 14" or 16", dark smoke, sport, with recurve and no vent is only $155-$165, so the price is right. How scratch resistant is that one?

So many good choices, so much valuable advice. What's a guy to do?

Thanks guys for the advice. Keep it coming!

I have had the Baggershield 19" vented on my ride for two years and it has held up well.I am in Northern Nevada and our weather is much like yours.The vent is really nice in the summer to move a little air to your noggin and helps some with buffeting.Also the Baker hand wings are great with a better windshield.Pics were taken before I installed the hand win gs.
    Attached Images Attached Images

No there is not grit or dirt getting between the two shields

Quote Originally Posted by D-Train View Post
    Wow, it seems everyone has a different opinion on this one. I love the price of the baggershield adjustable, only $139!
    My concern with that shield is if dirt or grit gets between the 2 shields and you raise or lower the extension, don't you get scratches in one or both pieces? I'm also not too keen with the fact that one shield is tinted and the extension is clear. I'd prefer to have both pieces smoked, though I realize having the extension clear is because when it's raised you will be looking through the shield instead of over it.

I like the looks of the F4shield but the price, yikes! I like the scratch resistant properties and the fact I can clean it with paper towels and Windex if I want. I'm basically lazy when it comes to cleaning the bike and will take the easy route if given the opportunity. I had a Vulcan Nomad and scratching the OEM shield was a BIG problem! I suspect the baggershield will be made of the same easily scratched material as that shield and therefor my comments about scratching when raising & lowering the clear extension.

I live in Bend, Oregon where there are 4-5 months each year where riding is not safe (snow & ice on the roads) and we rarely hit over 100 in the summers, so I doubt I'd need a vent. I've been riding an M109R with no shield here for 10 years and don't miss not having one, but then again I got the F6B so I would have the ability to take road trips so.... (yeah, I'm rambling, this is how I work through things, I've been accused of over thinking things, LOL!)

I like the one that the first Steve mentioned, the Klock Werks Flare. The shorter one of those in dark tint may be my best choice, but I'd hate to spend $300 on something and not be able to try it out first. How scratch resistant is this shield? Does anyone know?

Also, the clear view shield, 14" or 16", dark smoke, sport, with recurve and no vent is only $155-$165, so the price is right. How scratch resistant is that one?

So many good choices, so much valuable advice. What's a guy to do?

Thanks guys for the advice. Keep it coming!
    The upper shield is always behind the bottom shield so there is no way for grit or dirt to get between the two as they are held slightly apart by the 3 keeper that hold them together. On the bagger shield are keeper that hold the two together and all you do is loosen them and remove them from the holes and flip the top piece upside down and reinsert the 3 keepers and the top piece always stays on the inside of the bottom one. You don't raise or lower it you flip it completely over and out of view and reinstall the 3 keepers that hold the two.

Klock Werks

I ordered a Klock Werks shield before I took delivery of my F6B. I liked the looks that much. To my pleasant surprise it works quite well for me. That re-curve at the top is very effective. And it looks great.

Windshields are like women....Choose the one that fits your needs and desires the best and then live with it and enjoy your decision....JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Windshields are like women....Choose the one that fits your needs and desires the best and then live with it and enjoy your decision....JMHO
    Hi Opas, well I have a proven track record of picking the wrong women. I hope
    I'm better at picking a windshield than I am at picking women!

Windshields are quite unique

I knew when I saw the topic of the post, it would ignite a lot of opinions, so here goes

The windshield that is on there could be the Wind-bender as one of the others stated. If that is true, you will find they work VERY well for decreased turbulence, and a nice air pocket for the rider. I have one on my bike, as it was recommended by a lot of people, and it truly is one of the most functional windshields you can buy.

They look a little awkward, but work well.

One stated - do we pick a woman because she looks good, or is functional? I would tend to go with the good looking one over the functional one. I have had them both, one supermodel good looks, the other one functional as get out...she even washed my bike for me while I went out riding all the time and brought home a messed up bike. So I messed her hair up during the night, just to make me the real pig of the relationship!

Anyway, wish there was the Harley Davidson way, whereby you visit the dealership and can try a variety out yourself before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Miks View Post
    I knew when I saw the topic of the post, it would ignite a lot of opinions, so here goes

The windshield that is on there could be the Wind-bender as one of the others stated. If that is true, you will find they work VERY well for decreased turbulence, and a nice air pocket for the rider. I have one on my bike, as it was recommended by a lot of people, and it truly is one of the most functional windshields you can buy.

They look a little awkward, but work well.

One stated - do we pick a woman because she looks good, or is functional? I would tend to go with the good looking one over the functional one. I have had them both, one supermodel good looks, the other one functional as get out...she even washed my bike for me while I went out riding all the time and brought home a messed up bike. So I messed her hair up during the night, just to make me the real pig of the relationship!

Anyway, wish there was the Harley Davidson way, whereby you visit the dealership and can try a variety out yourself before you buy.
    Thanks opas and Miks. I realize that opinions are like a-holes, everyone has one and they all stink!
    I know that everyone will have different tastes and what they think looks good or not. Some people (like me) will care more about how it looks as opposed to how it functions, and I care more than most about how durable it is, how easily it scratches, etc.
    I guess I wanted people to say "I have shield A: and it fits good, looks good and blocks the wind very well" and hopefully someone will say which shields they've used and didn't have good luck with (I think I've only heard one person say they didn't like a shield that had, and it was the baggershield, and the issue was exactly what I knew it would be, with 2 pieces sandwiched together, it would hard to keep 1 or both pieces from getting scratched). SO if everyone is happy with their shield, I should just get the one that has the best looks IMO and costs what I want to spend and hope I like it as much as everyone else does. So far I think I might go with the clear shield, short, dark smoke with recurve. It's one of the cheapest, looks awesome, and I can test it and return it if I don't like it, assuming I leave the protective film on it and am careful installing it so it doesn't get damaged.
    Anyway, thanks everyone for all of the advice.

Replacement Windshield

This is my first post ever on any forum. I bought a 2016 Matte Silver F6B deluxe two weeks ago. The 115 mile drive home made me hate the bike. The stock windshield was absolutely useless. I read several post and articles. I purchased a Taka 14" windshield. Wow, what a difference. I am 6'2" with a 32" inseam.The wind was pushed over my head and I had a clear line of sight over the windshield.Even with 20mph gust I could hear he radio at 65 and I love the bike. Hoping for a good ride this weekend. We shall see how it holds up. The installation was straight forward perhaps made a little easier by watching one done on the net. F6Broy

Since this thread is coming back to life... and I now have some experience with my BaggerShield... I'd like to introduce something new...

The BaggerShield Recurve! (Invented by yours truly).

Not being totally happy with my existing shield, and figuring, "what have I got to lose," I decided to modify my BaggerShield by adding one additional mounting point in the center of the shield. By drilling an additional hole, I have increased the angle of attack on the upper portion of the windscreen, to help push the air "up and over" like many of the "recurve" type shields claim to do, but still maintaining the ability to flip the windscreen down behind the lower section. I just made this modification last night, and while I had the BaggerShield off, I also decided to give one other windscreen a try... the SlipStreamer Tall Clear with Vent that also came with my bike. After I get a chance to try that out... I'll reinstall the modified BaggerShield and let you all know what the improvements... if any... are.

The pictures below (assuming that the forum software is working again), show the changes made in the shield.

NOPE! still can't add a flippin' image.
    Anything I try to upload says: 500 [IOErrorEvent type="ioError" bubbles=false cancelable=false eventPhase=2 text="Error #2038"]

Well... it'll probably get me banned to put a link here, but it's exactly why I started my own website, so...
    In an effort to stay within the rules... go to my profile, click on my "homepage" and go to the Farkles then BaggerShield menu items if you would like to see some photos of what I am talking about.

Jim