We're definitely in Michigan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're definitely in Michigan

We're definitely in Michigan

From taking a 160 mile ride in the latter days of November in Mid to high 60 degree temps to this morning---at 5 degrees with a wind chill of minus 15 degrees. Yes winter has arrived in the frozen north country and doing a fine job of it I must admit. Been out with the lawn tractor sporting a fine snowblower several times already and the B is hiding in the back of the garage covered up with it fine Champion cover with the heater bar underneath it to keep her warm and so she doesn't shiver as much as her owner. Got to love this country to live here for sure and I would surely miss the seasons if I moved into a warmer climate.

I hear you, I lived in Minnesota for several years. I enjoyed the full two seasons each year...Winter and Road Construction

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    From taking a 160 mile ride in the latter days of November in Mid to high 60 degree temps to this morning---at 5 degrees with a wind chill of minus 15 degrees. Yes winter has arrived in the frozen north country and doing a fine job of it I must admit. Been out with the lawn tractor sporting a fine snowblower several times already and the B is hiding in the back of the garage covered up with it fine Champion cover with the heater bar underneath it to keep her warm and so she doesn't shiver as much as her owner. Got to love this country to live here for sure and I would surely miss the seasons if I moved into a warmer climate.
    Why do you have a "heater bar" to keep it warm, if she's been put up for the winter?

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Moisture Will

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    Why do you have a "heater bar" to keep it warm, if she's been put up for the winter?
    With the cold of winter and the fluctuations of the temperatures, moisture will show up for sure and try to corrode and rust metal and aluminum parts. It more of a preventative thing to keep moisture away in an unheated garage. My old bike I miss part of the rotor with the WD40 and found rust in the spring and so I got the heat bar under it every year and never had a problem after that. So I have just continued the practice with the B.

With the cold of winter and the fluctuations of the temperatures, moisture will show up for sure and try to corrode and rust metal and aluminum parts. It more of a preventative thing to keep moisture away in an unheated garage. My old bike I miss part of the rotor with the WD40 and found rust in the spring and so I got the heat bar under it every year and never had a problem after that. So I have just continued the practice with the B.
    Interesting. I've heard of putting a heater bar (Golden Rod) in gun safes, but never the same concept/principal under a motorcycle.

I too, store my bikes in Amish sheds out back. Unheated and non-insulated though. They have seemed to do just fine with only a Battery Tender attached, and a healthy dose of SeaFoam in a full tank. No rust.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Don't over estimate your ability to adapt. I spent many youthful years in Roseville, MN, and 14 of the last 16 in Philly.
    Yes, fall is pretty. Spring is truly a necessary time of renewal. Summers were hot with mosquitoes that were under Air Traffic Control.
    Winter, snow throwers, chilled to the bone, toys 'put up' for the season....

Living in Florida for a year now?
    No winter snow, no need for a spring "renewal", I hit the Georgia mountains for fall and see pretty colors, and summer is hot with more than a few insects.
    But all the money I spent on snow removal devices, lawn tractor maintenance, and gas is now going to motorcycles.
    Cold weather clothing funds are buying motorcycle gear and clothing. Which I use 24/7/365.
    Reallocating funding resources to more fun things than snow removal was rewarding!

I'm not gloating, bragging, or boasting; I'm just finding adapting quite easy.
    Cheers,
    Steve

PS - Time to get geared up for a ride to Lowe's. Need some grass seed.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I look forward to moving to a warm climate. I'm about sick and tired of this cold weather crap.

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    I look forward to moving to a warm climate. I'm about sick and tired of this cold weather crap.
    And in Maryland, no less!
    At least Seadog can keep his guns and civil liberties where he can see them.....
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I have never done anything more than cover my bikes with a cotton blanket, hook-up tender etc. and store in an unheated garage. Been doing this for 40+ years in the same location and never noticed a rust or moisture issue on any bikes.....This morning it was 5 degrees and -15 below wind chill...Just stating my experience....See you next spring/summer, hopefully....Ride safe

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    And in Maryland, no less!
    At least Seadog can keep his guns and civil liberties where he can see them.....
    So true

21 years Army (retired)

IBA 80537