Audio enhancement perma-grin style - Page 15
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Audio enhancement perma-grin style

I don't think the depth is the limiting factor as their is only 4mm difference in depth between the 5.25" and the 6.5". The problem is in the total diameter that runs the full depth. The magnets and the supporting metal basket are huge. I was able to install the previous JBL 6.5" because they were shallow and the metal frame supporting the magnet sloped inward. The Hertz are almost the same diameter, like a cylinder. I can get pictures this weekend to give a visual because I know it's clear as mud.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Pilot View Post
    I don't think the depth is the limiting factor as their is only 4mm difference in depth between the 5.25" and the 6.5". The problem is in the total diameter that runs the full depth. The magnets and the supporting metal basket are huge. I was able to install the previous JBL 6.5" because they were shallow and the metal frame supporting the magnet sloped inward. The Hertz are almost the same diameter, like a cylinder. I can get pictures this weekend to give a visual because I know it's clear as mud.
    Thanks, that answered what puzzled me about why you did modifications to fit a 5.25" speaker.
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I know with the Polk MM series 6.5" woofers it was a tight fit. Having to make a spacer approximately 1/4" thick I think it was. With the Polks there were 2 challenges. The outer diameter and the spacing around that and the basket clearance in depth. The depth challenge is those sides of the enclosure that come in at an angle. I had a few choice words during the fitting and installation of the Polks.
    An the Polk woofers have the neodymium magnets.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

I tried this at the installer as well, the magnet is so wide there is no way it will fit. Based on my measurements, even if you remove the black plastic enclosure, the brace behind it would be in the way. The only other option would be to check Focal 6.5 to see if the magnet might fit. As long as you go with their top-tier line you should get the same or better output at the Hertz. The 5 1/4 are monsters - they are what the pros use on high-end boats and other installs that have limited space.

Here's a couple of shots for comparison. There's the JBL vs the Hertz 6.5 as well as another including the J&M. As you can see, the aluminum basket on the Hertz is huge.

Attachment 25282Attachment 25283

Here's a couple of shots for comparison. There's the JBL vs the Hertz 6.5 as well as another including the J&M. As you can see, the aluminum basket on the Hertz is huge.Attachment 25282Attachment 25283
    I attached comparison photo earlier in this thread that compare stock, hertz,j&l, and polk. Same major difference in size. Went for a ride today, and damn am I pleased..

All-
    I am in complete envy of the sound systems you created on your F6B! I just have a couple of quick questions and hoping some of you "Experts" can chime in.

I'm looking to install a simple amplified budget system and wondering if this will be a simple hook up.

Amp: Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 - Should I be able to use my existing front speaker wiring and posi-tap wires to feed the amp with a high level input signal? I know the F6B has separate mids and tweeters, but I think the stock system output signal is full range left and right. Am I correct on this part?

Speakers: I'm thinking of using the JL Audio convertible 2-Way 5.25" and just leaving my factory tweeters in the grill unplugged while using the JL tweeters on the mid driver if there is no fitment issues with the stock grill.

I don't need a sub and just looking for louder mids and highs so that I can hear my system on the highway. I had this same amp with Hertz speakers on my Harley Street Glide and it was extremely loud and crystal clear. Rockford made a simple plug and play wire harness for Harley Davidson but I can tell the F6B is going to take a little more creativity and work.

appreciate any input or guidance if what I'm thinking will work.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGen View Post
    All-
    I am in complete envy of the sound systems you created on your F6B! I just have a couple of quick questions and hoping some of you "Experts" can chime in.

I'm looking to install a simple amplified budget system and wondering if this will be a simple hook up.

Amp: Rockford Fosgate PBR300x2 - Should I be able to use my existing front speaker wiring and posi-tap wires to feed the amp with a high level input signal? I know the F6B has separate mids and tweeters, but I think the stock system output signal is full range left and right. Am I correct on this part?

Speakers: I'm thinking of using the JL Audio convertible 2-Way 5.25" and just leaving my factory tweeters in the grill unplugged while using the JL tweeters on the mid driver if there is no fitment issues with the stock grill.

I don't need a sub and just looking for louder mids and highs so that I can hear my system on the highway. I had this same amp with Hertz speakers on my Harley Street Glide and it was extremely loud and crystal clear. Rockford made a simple plug and play wire harness for Harley Davidson but I can tell the F6B is going to take a little more creativity and work.

Unfortunately, there is no plug and play. Wish the market was such that someone had come out with one. My experience ultimately had me seeking out the pre amp signal between the "Audio Unit" and the amp. I could not get satisfactory results from trying to adapt the amplifier output to use as signal for another amp. Not saying it can't be done, but my results were less than ideal. In the end , I chose to eliminate the factory system all together. As far as the factory speaker wiring, that too needs to be discarded or not used. Instead, running decent speaker wire of 14 or 12 awg.
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up"

If you know a manufacturer who would talk.. I'll work with them!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyGen View Post
    All-

Hey AnthonyGen, welcome to my thread! If I understand correctly, you want to use the existing speaker output from the OEM amp for an input into your Rockford Fosgate? Yes, you can, but you may not get the results you expect. I found the line-level output is out-of-spec (impedance is non-standard and/or the output voltage is below spec) which is why I recommend using a decent line driver or a DSP that can handle it.

The OEM tweeter has a cap to filter lower frequencies, so as long as you tap prior, it would work as inputs for your amp. I would highly recommend that you test this setup before doing a full install. Several folks have tried this common approach, but it resulted in a distorted output from the amp to new speakers. Others have tried using an inexpensive speaker level to line level, but it didn't result in much improvement for them. I was successful using a line-driver to get a better result, but I opted to go with the high-end ($$) solution of an amp with DSP instead. The Rockford's high-level input MAY work for you, but results may vary so test it first and if it doesn't sound like you would expect, try adding a line-driver to see if that improves your results, especially one that has a bass boost to make up for frequencies below 100Hz that are cut by the head unit.

The F6B's speaker gauge can't handle the output of an after-market amp, so make sure you run your own. Ideally 12 gauge, but 14 may work for short runs.

If anyone knows a manufacturer who will return a phone call, let me know. I'd love to get a harness designed for us! I hope this helps, and best of luck.

Cheers!
    -Robert

Appreciate the quick replies.
    So, from what I gather it's best to tap the signal from the head unit before the factory amp? I think the head unit it at the rear of the bike? I'll try to wire the amp off of the speaker leads in the fairing first, but going into this thinking it won't give the desired results.

I haven't purchased the Rockford amp yet, so maybe I look at some other compact amplifier options. I've installed some pretty decent systems in cars and even did a system on my prior Street Glide, but I'm finding this Wing is a bit of a different animal. Once I can figure out a clean audio signal from the factory system, I'll be able to figure the rest out of the install. I definitely agree on the wiring upgrade and I'm now thinking either Focal or Hertz speakers (5.25").

Again, not looking for a competition quality system, but something that has crystal clear mids and highs that I can hear at 80mph. I'm sure I'll get the fever later to add rear speakers and maybe a sub in one of the saddlebags. My other main focus is to retain my factory system controls.