We're definitely in Michigan - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We're definitely in Michigan

Man do all these posts help me feel the 15 degree nights here in Northern Nevada are not to bad-But bad enough.I grew up in Northern California and was able to take a early retirement about 14 years ago.My wife who is a little younger then me has been in Medical Management and work brought us here to Carson City about 12 years ago for her job.This is my 13th winter here and I am tired of clearing snow when needed and very little riding from Nov-March.She has about 5 years to go and we will be heading south to AZ.I will not miss one part of these winters or the loss of seasons.I want the bad weather to be hot-Cause then I can cool off in a pool and ride year round

Quote Originally Posted by seadog View Post
    With the cold of winter and the fluctuations of the temperatures, moisture will show up for sure and try to corrode and rust metal and aluminum parts. It more of a preventative thing to keep moisture away in an unheated garage. My old bike I miss part of the rotor with the WD40 and found rust in the spring and so I got the heat bar under it every year and never had a problem after that. So I have just continued the practice with the B.
    Is that "heater bar" electric or propane.

I would guess your being surrounded by the Great Lakes you see more moisture in the winter than I do here in lower New England. Although I like the "heater bar" idea, I am lucky enough to have a Gable Vent fan on a timer that runs twice a day for a half hour take care of any moisture and keep my unattached unheated garage dry and my motorcycles in good shape.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Not in Michigan any more

I grew up a little north of you Seadog, in Central Lake Mi. If you look long and hard enough you can find an acceptable place to relocate. I ride year round and have not shoveled snow since I moved to southern NM. However if I want to play in the snow it's only a half hour away up the hill. You can play in the snow in the morning then ride out to eat in the afternoon. the great drawback is the nearest water to put a boat in is 200 miles away and all you can do there is go around in circles.

Stay warm and don't let the snakes bite.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Puget Sound is great in the respect. You can generally ride year round, occasionally we do have bad winters. Mostly it's cold and wet but still perfectly ride able. When I'm home there's maybe a few days here and there that the weather gives me pause, but generally with the right gear your good.

For a number of years I tried living in FL., Key West, to be exact, but I remember all too well from mid June to mid October it being too hot to even think about going out side during daylight hours (and that is my favored time to ride ). Lost four months every year. There ain't no heaven here but I prefer to wait for "H". Unfortunately, no matter what anybody tells you I'm pretty sure there ain't no heaven on this earth!!

All things considered I still like Christmas here the best with all the hub bub of the big city, I don't even mind the snow. After all with today's equipment it's easy enough to clear the driveway . And remember you don't dare do the roof, After all Santa needs a place to land and I need the presents.

After the holidays I'll just light the fire in the garage warm it up and try to get some of the long planned bike projects done. I hope they don't interfere with the sportsman shows, bike shows, gun shows. etc. etc. Now remember after all this, I only have 2 months left before I have to start riding again.
    Dang it I'll never have enough time to get all these projects done and still have time to enjoy the Lazy-boy that's next to the bar in the garage. I'm going to have to give something up so I can relax and utilize the location of the Lazy-boy to compare it to the Mustang with the bar near by. Once I start riding I won't be able to drink and fairly compare the comforts of the Lazy-boy with bar to the Mustang with out

Blew out another 8 inches

The fluffy white stuff is falling pretty steady up in my neck of the woods and had to go out and punch a hole in the white stuff to make a driveway out of it. Only good thing! one day closer to spring, as I am not a snow person and don't care for snowmobiles or ski's.

We had ice yesterday... the salt is now all over the place from Maryland DOT. No more motorcycle riding until rains can was it away. And it is going to be warm today (high of 58 degree's)

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    Is that "heater bar" electric or propane.

I would guess your being surrounded by the Great Lakes you see more moisture in the winter than I do here in lower New England. Although I like the "heater bar" idea, I am lucky enough to have a Gable Vent fan on a timer that runs twice a day for a half hour take care of any moisture and keep my unattached unheated garage dry and my motorcycles in good shape.
    Hey Dan
    This is my first year with the unheated "Amish" type shed. Sure enough I just went out there and its moist in there. The pellet bags have moisture on them and I saw a wet spot on the floor. Checked the roof and dont see any leaks. How did you deal with this?

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Hey Dan
    This is my first year with the unheated "Amish" type shed. Sure enough I just went out there and its moist in there. The pellet bags have moisture on them and I saw a wet spot on the floor. Checked the roof and dont see any leaks. How did you deal with this?

I picked up two Attic Exhaust Ventilator Fans and put one in each end of the garage in the gable vents. They pull the warm air out and keep the air moving the garage. They are on timers and kick on twice a day. BUT from yesterday to today (20deg and snow to 50deg and rain) keeping moisture out is almost impossible. I also keep the bikes covered with a good quality breathable material bike cover designed to be an indoor Motorcycle cover. NEVER a plastic cover.

Short of the heat bar like seadog, that's about all I do. I originally went with the fans over some type of heat under the bike because I also have my tools in the garage and want to keep them moisture free as well, but I may get a heat bar for my classic original 1978 Goldwing just for the added security now that I see what is available.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

It's a beautiful sunny morning in Detroit, even if it is only 9 degrees.