Windbender - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windbender

Back to the Windbender

[QUOTE=TnHeath;67220]
    Quote Originally Posted by TnHeath View Post
    Just installed a Windbender windscreen....took a 65 mile ride today....works great. I had a Madstad on my wing and this one does as good, if not better. I got the ST15, have it in the 3rd click....a small amount of wind (still; not turbulent) which will great on a hot day. Coming home, a heavy rainstorm hit and had no problems with rain....I am 6' 1" and can easily see over the screen. I can raise it several more inches If I wanted. I thought I would really miss the air vent I had on the old screen but it looks like the space between the base and top shield will accomplish the breeze needed while decreasing the turbilence. If this one didn't work my next move would be the Madstad...but I think this one is a keeper.

UPDATE:

I had a Clearview, large, sport tour width, light gray tint that I had ordered in December and had not installed. After riding with the Windbender for a while I just didn't like the vibration of the shield, didn't rattle but it certainly is not steady...I tried the new spring-loaded locating pin system and it made it worse. I went back to the older clevis pins. I thought I would try the Clearview and see if I liked it better than the Windbender. After trying both, the Windbender is a 8 out of 10 on wind management. The Clearview comes in at 7. Allows just a little more air, but not objectionable at all. More air will be better in the summer. I have no trouble seeing over the screen by a good 4-5 inches. The recurve really works and I noticed no distortion on the upper shield area.

I really like the appearance of the Windbender, kind of quirky, but not as much as the Madstad. If all you care about is wind management you can't beat the Madstad. Having said all this, I think the Clearview touches all the right spots: good wind management, great looks, steady as a rock. It was a pain installing the stock wing vent. Could not do it on the trike...had to take the shield off.

Attachment 12424

Attachment 12426

Update: I changed back to the Windbender today. The Clearview is just slanted back to much toward the rider...someone made a comment about a crash and being thrown forward into the screen. The more I thought about it the more unsettling it became to have the Clearview so close. The Windbender at 14 inches (measured from the rubber at the screen garnish) offers as much wind protection as does the other screens a couple inches higher). I am getting good at changing screens out...took me eight minutes this time.

Attachment 13148
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2013 F6B Motor Trike Raptor

11" Hps...I'm 5'10" Mustang seat at the lowest setting works GREAT....Also using the Baker hand wings....so far seems like a winner

Thanks for keeping the updates going Heath; some interesting comments in this thread.

I never considered shield vibration much, so the Windbender may have issues? I'd agree with Madstad and Clearview being perfectly stable.

As for crash hazard... I'm kinda thinking they all rank high since none are safety glass that shatters; all of the shields could potentially splinter into shards... but wouldn't your body just break the shield as you're flung forward in a high side? The metal brackets in the Windbender and Madstad may be the biggest hazards since they won't break away cleanly.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyf6b View Post
    11 inch HPS Dark Smoke. The top shield is 11 inch but actual height is 12-16.
    Agree... measuring vertically from the Honda logo near the ignition, right Bobby?

... I really like the appearance of the Windbender, kind of quirky, but not as much as the Madstad. If all you care about is wind management you can't beat the Madstad.

I have to agree with you about the aesthetics of the Windbender v. Madstad. The Windbender hardware is much sleeker. But when you're rolling down the road, if the wind protection is good then the last thing on your mind is the brackets. I wasn't crazy about the Madstad hardware at first, but I'm getting used to it. And I do like how very adjustable it all is.

Thanks for your review of these shields. Good job!
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ixol Phaane View Post
    I have to agree with you about the aesthetics of the Windbender v. Madstad. The Windbender hardware is much sleeker. But when you're rolling down the road, if the wind protection is good then the last thing on your mind is the brackets. I wasn't crazy about the Madstad hardware at first, but I'm getting used to it. And I do like how very adjustable it all is.

Thanks for your review of these shields. Good job!
    When behind the Madstad or Windbender I imagine myself in the cockpit of a WWI biplane, maybe like Harm on JAG...good feeling.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2013 F6B Motor Trike Raptor

When behind the Madstad or Windbender I imagine myself in the cockpit of a WWI biplane, maybe like Harm on JAG...good feeling.
    Or like Snoopy, flying his @ss off against the Red Baron!
    (Have I just dated myself. )
    "1.21 gigawatts?! 1.21 GIGAWATTS??! Great Scott!!"