sound - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sound

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom6B View Post
    The ticking sound is normal, it's your fuel injectors. NOT valves ticking.
    I have been told that but I don't think so. If I put my ear to each side I can hear the injectors pumping. Sounds the same on each side. On the left side there's a louder ticking sound. It's distinctly different and only on the left side.

Quote Originally Posted by IamBatmanF6B View Post
    It is the alternator. This isn't a problem and it is the coupler driving the alternator making that sound if I remember correctly.

You ARE Batman...that is for sure, because your answer to this noise question is 100 % correct. On some Wings the noise is louder than others, but the bottomline is that this is where that noise is coming from.

I understand that some folks that may not have ridden these GL-1800 platform bikes for a long time, or for a lot of miles, are concerned about small noises, especially if they are coming off a different brand and model of bike.

But I would like to politely assure you that this GL-1800 engine, trans, drivetrain will last MUCH longer than anything else out there on the market, and will give you 10x the smiles per miles quotient. Yes, there is always that I in a 100,000 that could possibly be bad, but...it is not your bike. Ride it like it is raining and lightning outside, with a smile on your face.

Behind the front tire holding the lower engine fairing on are 4 chrome button head 5mm bolts. Make sure they are tight. I bet the left inner one is loose. Have seen this on 3 different bikes now. Makes a very strange wind noise on the left side of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by fidz View Post
    what s that sound that we hear cruising at about 75 mph its like a kind of bell mixed with a whistle on the left side heard somewhere that could be the alternator and what can be done to solve that problem
    This is a wild guess but if it's a whistly noise then it may be the hole that's under the ball at the end of the left clutch lever. I had an irritating noise coming from there when the wind would hit it just right. I finally figured out that's where it was coming from. Next time you hear it hold your finger on that hole and see if it goes away. I put some sealer in there and the noise is gone now.