saddlebag won't open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: saddlebag won't open

saddlebag won't open

I can't open the right side saddlebag. The left opens fine but the right is stuck.
    Anyone have this happen?

Steve

I took the grab rail off (I did not want to do that / I hope I can get it back on).

I was able to release the button to open the saddlebag. It is real tight / What should I lube it with?

Steve

Try some silicone spray, should do the trick.

I put the grab rail back on / the bolts went right in for the first time ever. It seems to be working for now???
    I is 52 here in St Louis and I just got back from a 1 1/2 hour ride. It was great!!!
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I took the grab rail off (I did not want to do that / I hope I can get it back on).

I was able to release the button to open the saddlebag. It is real tight / What should I lube it with?

Steve
    You might want to use a dry lube if you are going to do that.
    The others will draw the dust and dirt to the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I put the grab rail back on / the bolts went right in for the first time ever. It seems to be working for now???
    I is 52 here in St Louis and I just got back from a 1 1/2 hour ride. It was great!!!
    Steve
    I am aware of a few bikes with this issue and the grab rail bolts were way to tight causing the bag cable to bind up...Try a little silicone spray or WD-40 and re-install the grab rail, which you did, and all should be fine....Ride safe

Saddlebag sticks

Hi,
    I have battled this since I've owned my B. My right side would stick and I would bang on it, like one would with an old TV, and then it would work. Evidence was that the right side release pull had significantly more free play than the left side. So I decided to tear my bike apart.

If you remove the seat and rails, then the big square cover over the back half of the seat, you will see the release mechanism. There-in plain sight i would see the catch snag and not release as it should. I went to the dealer - 3 times - they couldn't recreate it, then I could but I was picking up the bike. next time they could not recreate it. Finally I talked to the service manager, who confessed this is very common problem with Goldwings. He said there are 3 different ways to adjust the lock/release mechanism. With the bike apart I couldn't see any. So the dealer fixed it - finally - last week. Seems to work but haven't had it on the road much.

Not much help I imagine, but at least you are not alone in your suffering...
    Pete
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by pdxstriper View Post
    Hi,
    I have battled this since I've owned my B. My right side would stick and I would bang on it, like one would with an old TV, and then it would work. Evidence was that the right side release pull had significantly more free play than the left side. So I decided to tear my bike apart.

If you remove the seat and rails, then the big square cover over the back half of the seat, you will see the release mechanism. There-in plain sight i would see the catch snag and not release as it should. I went to the dealer - 3 times - they couldn't recreate it, then I could but I was picking up the bike. next time they could not recreate it. Finally I talked to the service manager, who confessed this is very common problem with Goldwings. He said there are 3 different ways to adjust the lock/release mechanism. With the bike apart I couldn't see any. So the dealer fixed it - finally - last week. Seems to work but haven't had it on the road much.

Not much help I imagine, but at least you are not alone in your suffering...
    Pete
    This is good to know ahead of time - thanks for posting.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

I didn't see any mention of this,,, does a bit of pressure against the lid help. I have gotten into the habit of leaning against the lid with my leg as I pull the release.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I didn't see any mention of this,,, does a bit of pressure against the lid help. I have gotten into the habit of leaning against the lid with my leg as I pull the release.
    ^^^This^^^