Polaris dumps Victory - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Polaris dumps Victory

I've been reading some of the Victory forums (used to be a member on one) some of the membership is pretty upset regarding this. I can feel for them... it sucks to have a bike with rapidly dissipating resale value. Especially for the poor guys whom just got one and started making payments on it:

http://www.thevog.net/threads/polari...the-f-k.89537/

I remember when Harley axed Buell... that was pretty sad as well.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    From what I read in the Investor Relation presentation, some Victory Dealers will have the choice to be Indian Dealers..

Funny though,, this is not a "discontinued operations" event, just a cease manufacturing. It reads that Victory has been only 3 percent of Polaris sales and lost money 3 of the last 5 yrs.

The Focus is now on Indian and Slingshot

When Indian first cranked up, they had first choice back then, too. I seem to remember the cost of a Victory franchise was in the $50K range, while Indian was $400-$450K. Most Victory dealers were taking a pass in the beginning. I am not sure if they are changing that now, but they took a hard line on the Indian price tag early on.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Old Ryder View Post
    When Indian first cranked up, they had first choice back then, too. I seem to remember the cost of a Victory franchise was in the $50K range, while Indian was $400-$450K. Most Victory dealers were taking a pass in the beginning. I am not sure if they are changing that now, but they took a hard line on the Indian price tag early on.
    I wonder how many "Slingshot" units they sell each year??..I have only seen 3 on the road around here and the local dealer that sells them has had the same ones on the floor for several months now.....Just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I wonder how many "Slingshot" units they sell each year??..I have only seen 3 on the road around here and the local dealer that sells them has had the same ones on the floor for several months now.....Just curious...
    Around here, all I see are used Slingshots, with about 9 miles on them... (joking of course - but I'm amazed how often it appears someone buys one of these on a whim and tries to bail on it just a few months later).

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Around here, all I see are used Slingshots, with about 9 miles on them... (joking of course - but I'm amazed how often it appears someone buys one of these on a whim and tries to bail on it just a few months later).
    Agree!!..I used to ride with a guy who was really into bikes and speed stuff...He bought one of the first Slingshots available in this area and was in a "whole new world" as he said a few days after purchase...Since then, 2 years ago or more, he has driven it only 4 times and these were trips to local auto shows....He is now trying to unload it with no luck so far!!!!

I had a feeling that was coming and kinda steered me to the F6B over the XC. Kinda shame because I attended the Victory ride days and always enjoyed the Cross Country.

Quote Originally Posted by JMartin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    Agree!!..I used to ride with a guy who was really into bikes and speed stuff...He bought one of the first Slingshots available in this area and was in a "whole new world" as he said a few days after purchase...Since then, 2 years ago or more, he has driven it only 4 times and these were trips to local auto shows....He is now trying to unload it with no luck so far!!!!
    Yeah....I know a guy with a TRex and he doesn't run it anymore.
    I offer to take care of it for him, but he refuses my help but he knows I'm there for him.
    I truly hope someday he gets back into it because I know he really likes it.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

If Polaris could not create a proper supply of Victory parts, will they do any better with Indian?
    If you are not part of the solution, YOU are the problem.

Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    If Polaris could not create a proper supply of Victory parts, will they do any better with Indian?
    Not sure. But I think Indian may not be long lasting either. It is a high end bike; and from what I've seen... a lot of the customers are middle aged to older; than the younger motorcycle crowd. Polaris sure is throwing a lot of money at it though... and the dealership franchises are pretty damned expensive for someone to host them. I've read that Polaris is charging dealerships 450-500K for a franchise; as opposed to Victory which had cost 50K.

If they marketed Victory better (visibility) and had a better support network for it... it may have caught on better.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

There were some really great dealers out there but they were few and far between. I have personal stories that would drop your jaw in disbelief---not to mention others that I read about. I have always been a "forum rat" and it did not take long for me to be more informed than the service manager at the local dealership and he had been doing it since 1999.

Some companies are known for customer service. I think Sears Roebuck set the gold standard decades ago. Some are known for very poor customer care---Polaris falls into that category and makes NO EXCUSES about it.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]