Quote Originally Posted by Bill1584 View Post
Very well said. Productive discourse is completely impossible when polite, well-intentioned discussion is replaced by divisive, offensive and oftentimes outright abusive language. This, I believe, is why we elect representatives - local, state and federal. We trust that they will engage in polite, well-intentioned, and productive discussion on our behalves. Sometimes, even that trust is sorely misplaced. That said, even as a regular lurker I do enjoy reading these interchanges.

Sure, this forum is a melting pot of sorts. Also, it seems to me that usually those with the most extreme views are inclined to mix it up publicly within any group, so the sampling may be a tad skewed. I'd like to think the entire spectrum is represented here, with the middle abstaining from these discussions. FWIW, I like to mix it up a little too sometimes, but normally just at home or in the voting booth. Or over a nice seafood lunch with friends...
I disagree with your assertion that this forum in a melting pot. I think you will find that motorcyclists, as a whole, are far more pro-freedom than liberal. I don't think you will find lots of Hilderbeast voters. Is that divisive, offensive and abusive??