Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
I guess I'm lucky in that I don't have a problem with the locks and love the way they work. I have the valet key with a small knob always in the keyhole in the unlock position, not noticeable at all and never keys hanging from the lock. That sounds like the biggest gripe you have about this system and I did not like it either until installing the always unlocked key and knob. Just a pull on the lever and I'm in the bag. Can be removed if I wish to lock the bags, seldom needed. The ignition key is either in the slot or in my pocket, not needed anywhere else. Another Valet key with an even smaller knob is always in the right side to open the middle cubby and easily removed to unlock the fuel door, no need to remove the ignition key to access sunglasses or fuel door. Now if you want to go modern we need a fob with a proximity switch and starter button that only works when you are close to the bike. No having to dig in a pocket. You would still need to pull the lever to open the bags. Friends with HDs and those switches seen to have some problems sometimes but the one on my my Pathfinder works great. My remote control garage door opener is much more easy to use now that is mounted hidden on the bike with a momentary push switch mounted in the panel to the left and can even be pressed with my knee to open garage. So if I had a remote to open the bags I would want it mounted (hidden I guess) on the bike to avoid having to carry it in my pocket but don't see how that would be more easy that just pulling the lever.
My Concours has that proximity for the ignition and it works great plus the fob has the removable key that I use for the fuel cap and the bags. The BMW I test road had the full on remote that worked great. My bags have been rifled more then once at work so I would be pulling the valet key setup everyday. Coming up with a system like the BMW's, to me, would seem the best setup. Like I said before it's one of the few things about the B that irritates me and I'll get the remote setup this summer barring any unforeseen issues that arise. That hidden switch for the garage is great idea, the new place will have a gate minder and eventually a remote garage door opener.