Insurance - shop around! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insurance - shop around!

Best advise ever: Check every year, this year Progressive tried to stick me with almost double the rate from previous year??

When asked you get no answer why, so Geico it is for the time being with the same rate I enjoyed the previous year with Progressive.

Car insurance , shopped around and have been with several Big company's, ultimately I settled for IDS who underwrites for Costco, saves me 80% from nearest Big Company.

So yeah make the phone call, easy money, and forget about the loyalty, you only gonna be a number.

I started using a broker about 10 years ago. I told him I wanted to review all my coverages each year and get the best coverage for what I pay. So far he has switched my auto and home policies 3 times and my motorcycles three times. This guy is the polar opposite of the average insurance agent. Right now I am with Travelers for home and auto and Pacific Speciality for the bikes.

shooter
    I use a broker also Nero. It gives me more options and seems to work.

My credit union makes the calls for me. If my rate goes up for no reason I call the credit union and they do the shopping and guess what? Two years ago I had progressive and they raised my bike $200 or so for the year for no reason. I called the credit union and asked them to shop around. They got me a rate very close to what I was paying with out the increase. To my surprise it was with progressive. I took it and when I get the new policy it says customer since 2010. Very strange!!

I had the same broker for 12 years loyalty being that they had looked out for me on a few occasions and were what I thought to be fair priced until my daughter went on her own and got rates far below what I was paying. So when I took copies of my policies to her agent and they quoted 1100.00 less for better coverage it was a no brainer to switch. What I find interesting is that the same coverage through the same carrier on the bikes is 245 less a year. So YES I agree to shopping every so often. And I told my previous broker that I was shopping and then what my savings were they had ZERO interest in finding lower rates to keep me.

To me, a broker is another middle man...doesn't sound cost effective. I never heard of using one until this thread. We have an abundance of agents here. A few phone calls work for me.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I Shopped; Won't Change

I pay $306 per year to insure 4 bikes with Allstate. I doubted anyone could beat that, but after reading this post I checked with State Farm anyway. They wanted $879! Now at least I confirmed I have a good rate.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I pay $306 per year to insure 4 bikes with Allstate. I doubted anyone could beat that, but after reading this post I checked with State Farm anyway. They wanted $879! Now at least I confirmed I have a good rate.
    Funny how that happens! 4 bikes at $306 a year for all 4? Do you own Allstate?
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

Cheap Rates

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Funny how that happens! 4 bikes at $306 a year for all 4? Do you own Allstate?
    If I owned Allstate I think I'd raise the rates. You can't make much money selling insurance at those prices!

Actually, I have a pretty low-risk profile. I getting a bit old and have a clean record. The bikes I own are an old BMW airhead, 2 Valkyries, and an F6B. I'm sure all of those have the kind of claims histories that insurance companies love.

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Dave , right now Allstate is THE place to insure a bike. Lots of riders switching in my area.