Never did really like GW's. Until the F6B! - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Never did really like GW's. Until the F6B!

Bought my first new Honda in February 1977

It was an XL125 for $725. The price for a Wing back then was way beyond my $150 week income.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm blessed to own some very nice V twins. But the F6B - aka: the black bike, is a show stopper even among HD buds.
    Fun to lite up the stereo with some Judist Priest and watch them look the bike over
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

First Wings,,,

Bought my first Gold Wing a yellow 1976 model in Feb. of 1977 for $2450.00 rode it till Jan. of 1981. Then bought a new maroon 1981 Gold Wing for $3650.00. At the time, those two models were just about the fastest save for maybe a Kaw 900 in 1977, or in the year of 1981 maybe a CBX or XS1100 Yamaha or possibly the Kaw 1000 by then. I was 22 years old when i bought my first wing, am now 61 and ride an F6, and a R1200RT BMW, maybe not the fastest anymore, but you know what they say. The older I get the faster I was.....Safe Riding,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstiff's F6B View Post
    I'm blessed to own some very nice V twins. But the F6B - aka: the black bike, is a show stopper even among HD buds.
    Fun to lite up the stereo with some Judist Priest and watch them look the bike over
    J
    I was Hell Bent for Leather until I heard Metal Gods and thereupon began Livin After Midnight!

This thread caught my eye because I do not (yet) own an F6b but it is my hope to get one next spring. One of my concerns was that I would feel cramped on the bike, both in the seating and in general, because that is how I remember my one chance to ride a GW years ago. How is the seating less cramped on an F6b? I thought it was essentially the same as the GW but with a lower and slightly smaller fairing. I currently ride a Triumph Thunderbird, which is about 90 lbs. lighter than the F6b and certainly does not feel cramped at all. My one "experience" with the F6b was sitting on a sold model on the dealer's showroom floor, but its hard to judge the feel it would have on a ride from just sitting on one. What am I missing in regard to the differences between the GW and the F6b in terms of the feel of it when riding?

shooter
    You won't feel cramped on the B. The seat has much more room than the GW. A good set of Hwy Pegs so you can stretch your legs and you'll be set.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Rich View Post
    I was Hell Bent for Leather until I heard Metal Gods and thereupon began Livin After Midnight!
    ... Some describe my 6 as evil and sick looking. I take it that is cool.

The butt chock removed from the F6 seat, allows your feet and legs to be positioned forward, with your arse farther away from the tank.

Floor boards, driver backrest. handle bar risers and highway pegs turned mine into a very fine road sofa.

It's also my opinion the F6 rides like on rails and handles better than 99 % of other touring bikes out there.
    Ymmv
    J
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    This thread caught my eye because I do not (yet) own an F6b but it is my hope to get one next spring. One of my concerns was that I would feel cramped on the bike, both in the seating and in general, because that is how I remember my one chance to ride a GW years ago. How is the seating less cramped on an F6b? I thought it was essentially the same as the GW but with a lower and slightly smaller fairing. I currently ride a Triumph Thunderbird, which is about 90 lbs. lighter than the F6b and certainly does not feel cramped at all. My one "experience" with the F6b was sitting on a sold model on the dealer's showroom floor, but its hard to judge the feel it would have on a ride from just sitting on one. What am I missing in regard to the differences between the GW and the F6b in terms of the feel of it when riding?

One of the things that most here agree on--- The B will PROBABLY require some modification to fit the rider. Some guys are a perfect fit right off the showroom floor.

The same statement is true if we were talking about other models, too but especially with the wide engine on the wing/Fb models. It really all depends on your body shape, size and the length of your limbs. They make seats, hiway bars, mini boards, risers, etc... to fix those things. V Twins are easier to fit as the engine is much narrower and allows more flexibility since your knees have more wiggle room. The downside to that is you do not have the flat 6 engine with all of those benifits.
    "Life is hard. Harder when you are stupid"-- John Wayne[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cool

Same here, never really fit for me!
    But my "b" is just right!
    Next step, more lights on rear
    Once a Marine, Always a Marine!
    Pain is Weakness leaving the Body,
    I would rather be Historically Accurate,
    Than Politically Correct!

Handling agility was a pleasant surprise

I came off a VStar 1100, and the F6B and its additional 250 lbs. easily outperforms it in the curves. There is one tight S-curve on the way to work where the signs advise 25 mph max…I never felt comfortable taking those at more than 40 mph on the Vstar (at 41, the boards would scrape), but 45 mph is no problem on the 6. In fact, if I wanted to push it, I am sure 50 mph is within range based on how easy 45 mph is.

I never expected this bike to handle this well, and I don't get it. Its a lot heavier…it has a long wheelbase, like the 1100 does…yet it handles almost like a refined sport bike. I noticed this immediately, as soon as I pulled out of the dealer's lot...