Winter Storage Opinions for a Newbie - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Winter Storage Opinions for a Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Great. I was sooo hoping that squirting oil in the spark plug holes WASN'T in the manual…I was disappointed with the correction noted in this thread.

How about a turkey baster? Would that work to get the oil where it needs to go?

Speaking of leather jackets, I wore one for the first time while riding in 38 F weather the other day…wow…that was warm. I normally wear my armor jacket with a fleece jacket underneath. The leather option is way better.
    How long do you plan to store your bike this winter? If it is just for a few months with no wild temperature swings where it is sleeping... I wouldn't worry about it.

Dealers don't oil up the cylinders on bikes while on their floor. Some sit there for many months.

Don't overthink seasonal storage.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Quote Originally Posted by willtill View Post
    How long do you plan to store your bike this winter? If it is just for a few months with no wild temperature swings where it is sleeping... I wouldn't worry about it.

Dealers don't oil up the cylinders on bikes while on their floor. Some sit there for many months.

Don't overthink seasonal storage.
    The bike will be in my two-car garage, which is attached to the house. In fact, the bike will be against an inside wall of the house. I am in the Rochester, NY area, so temps will get down below zero a few times and we will get up into the 40s occasionally in the winter. The garage doors are open at times, letting in the cold air (for example, when I am running the snowblower or shoveling). Hmmm. I am not sure how wild the temp swings are in there. I am guessing MOST of the time it is around 30-35 F, perhaps a little warmer considering I will have the bike next to an interior wall. There's never any moisture (sweat) on anything, which you see in buildings with poor ventilation or metal buildings. I assume that's a sign of pretty steady temps.

I am going to ride tomorrow…this is the latest I've ever gone without storing a bike…I am guessing it will be laid up starting next week through the end of March…sooooo…roughly four months. First ride this year was on April 2.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    The bike will be in my two-car garage, which is attached to the house. In fact, the bike will be against an inside wall of the house. I am in the Rochester, NY area, so temps will get down below zero a few times and we will get up into the 40s occasionally in the winter. The garage doors are open at times, letting in the cold air (for example, when I am running the snowblower or shoveling). Hmmm. I am not sure how wild the temp swings are in there. I am guessing MOST of the time it is around 30-35 F, perhaps a little warmer considering I will have the bike next to an interior wall. There's never any moisture (sweat) on anything, which you see in buildings with poor ventilation or metal buildings. I assume that's a sign of pretty steady temps.

I am going to ride tomorrow…this is the latest I've ever gone without storing a bike…I am guessing it will be laid up starting next week through the end of March…sooooo…roughly four months. First ride this year was on April 2.
    I think you will be fine. I keep my bikes in nice Amish sheds out back; they are not insulated nor heated. But they do fine with staying on battery tender's and SeaFoam in the full gas tanks and run though the engine proper.

IMHO there is nothing special nor needy regarding the F6B engine as compared to other motorcycle engines which undergo a limited period of inactivity. All of my motorcycles; past and present have always started up with no issues after being put to a winters sleep.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

[QUOTE=willtill;102589]I think you will be fine. I keep my bikes in nice Amish sheds out back; they are not insulated nor heated. But they do fine with staying on battery tender's and SeaFoam in the full gas tanks and run though the engine proper.

willtill: I just recently got my 2015 F6B and I'm pretty much in the same area as you down here by Andrews AFB.
    I'm glad that I ran across this thread. I think I'll follow your suggested procedure for when the weather really turns bad. But if there are some good dry connected days this winter, I plan to get in a few hours riding and definitely looking forward to this spring. Thanks for the info and stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypack View Post
    This is the first winter I've had a bike, so I'm in need of advice. The basics of storage--oil change, battery removal, cleaning, cover, etc.--I got figured out.

My issue is where to store my red F6B. I have two choices, (1) in my in-law's garage 2 hours away or (2) in my home's covered parking pad. I want to ride as late in the season as possible, so I'd prefer to store it in my covered parking area. Would the wise readers of this forum choose the covered parking pad or the in-law's garage?
    Similar situation here. I have a vinyl shelter on a concrete pad. I do most of what was stated here except the oil in the plug. Centerstand, battery tender, rotate tire occasionally, steel wool in the pipes BUT add a yellow/red string wrapped from the pipe to the rack so after a few months you remember to take that shit out before cranking her up. Dont ask.....
    I have never had issues with condensation but critters are an issue. I have a "cover" I ride onto, then pull up the sides and cinch it together to form a pouch that the bike sits in. Add some rodent deterrent and its good. Only takes an extra 10 minutes but the bike is always right here if we get a nice day to ride.

Had mice in the garage last year, got about 10 of the little buggers before the garage was free. This year, only one so far, the traps seem to have done their job. Where is the neighbors cat when you need him?
    ss^,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    What a great tip about the rags in the pipes. I was out having a coffee in the garage this morning and had two little critters run across the floor. Step 1: Stuff rags in pipes Step 2: Go to war with mice.
    Happy Holidays and some great tips from everyone.

I'm a little late with my reply but here goes. If you decide to put anything in your tail pipes be sure to tag them out with some hi-vis tape so you don't forget they are there. Second point, if you are concerned about critters in the pipes just wrap the ends with a light cloth and rubber bands around the pipes to keep the cloth in place. If you are storing your bike in a damp place rags in the pipes could retain moisture and will remain damp which is not good for your tailpipes. Personally, I don't put anything over the pipes. I want ventilation in there over winter.

Another option is to try spreading critter ridder around the bike. That'll keep most animals away safely and definitely prevent bigger animals from marking their territory on your wheels and chrome.

My tip is to place a lawn chair and small table next to your bike so you can sit down with a cold drink and admire the bike when not riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Happy Holidays and some great tips from everyone.

I'm a little late with my reply but here goes. If you decide to put anything in your tail pipes be sure to tag them out with some hi-vis tape so you don't forget they are there. Second point, if you are concerned about critters in the pipes just wrap the ends with a light cloth and rubber bands around the pipes to keep the cloth in place. If you are storing your bike in a damp place rags in the pipes could retain moisture and will remain damp which is not good for your tailpipes. Personally, I don't put anything over the pipes. I want ventilation in there over winter.

Another option is to try spreading critter ridder around the bike. That'll keep most animals away safely and definitely prevent bigger animals from marking their territory on your wheels and chrome.

My tip is to place a lawn chair and small table next to your bike so you can sit down with a cold drink and admire the bike when not riding it.
    I am not big on putting stuff in the tail pipes either...Put a couple traps around the bike and a small lid type container with a couple ounces of Anti-Freeze on the floor under the bike...Mice/Vols like the stuff as it tastes sweet to them, but it will kill them after a few "snorts".. Don't you love winter!!!....