Another close call DEER!!!!! - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Another close call DEER!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1951vbs View Post
    I usually attach deer whistles to my bikes. I don't think they work but in all the years of riding I had never hit a deer until the one 2 years ago while riding my B-King that did not have the whistles. Coincidence?, Bad luck? Fate? I don't know but I have deer whistles (alerts) on the F6B.

I don't believe the Deer Whistles work, but I have them on every vehicle I own.

In the last 20 years, the only animals I have managed to hit have been with vehicles that do not have whistles .......

Quote Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
    Sure would be great if the various deer whistles out there actually worked, but the evidence and studies all say they don't. Still, there is always the chance that nobody told the deer that (even though they can't hear anything in the most common frequencies used by the whistles). Deer whistles (ultra-sonic) operate at 16 - 20 kHz, but deer can't hear much above 12 kHz, just like us. Even the lower frequency ones don't seem to elicit any "flight" response by the deer, and in some cases rutting bucks actually attacked the whistle. Lots of studies on the web, easy to look up. So discretion remains the better part of valor - slow down, pay all your attention to the road, cover the brakes, and avoid riding as the sun is going down or coming up if you can. Maybe not for everyone, but as I get older, by the end of the day I just want to be at the hotel or home with some good bourbon or single malt. Ride safe.

I am not as smart as the engineers and biologists who say the whistles don't work ........

I did stick a set on the roof of my Trooper one year, just inside the roof rack, behind the sunroof. With the sunroof fully closed, I was able to make it about 4 miles down the highway before I had to pull off and rip the whistles off the roof.

The sound was very loud and annoying .....

I've opted out on the whistles as well. Whereas they may get the attention of a deer; they in no way will influence what the deer will decide to do. Deer are completely unpredictable

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537