Quote Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
You get no argument from me on the importance of parents. Today with addition of so many single parents trying to make it on $10 Hr. Is it any wonder parents have to be working 60 - 80 hr work weeks and have little time to parent. Somebodies got to do the laundry
However, I was raised in a family that had 2 working parents working hard to pay the bills. I can't remember ever getting any help from them on my school work.
The one thing I did have going for me was the school system I attended and the teachers I had. They made sure my homework was done and I understood the work at hand. And this was at a time when the WW II baby boomers were in the schools, 34 in a class was the norm not the exception.
True my parents insisted I follow the "college prep" curriculum through high school that was their dream. Those teachers of the time had me so trained that I was bored for the first 2 years of Rutgers. It seemed like a review of my last 2 years of high school.
My last job was working in a school system upgrading to Windows 2000 and upgrading their entire systems. I worked on problem computers in class rooms. where I witnessed 1st grade teachers with PhD's pulling down $100,000 + a year supervising coloring book classes. The coloring books were bad enough but if I told you what was on those computers you'd understand my stand on why our kids are so dumb.
Bob both my parents worked and my wife and I both worked. My brother and I stayed by ourself in the afternoon a couple hours from about 10 on up. Neighbors kept an eye out. You can work and still raise your kids.