Taking off in 2nd gear.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taking off in 2nd gear.

Taking off in 2nd gear.

1rst gear is so low that occasionally I take off in second. Since the bike is lighter then the regular wing, and also I don't ride double, it seems to accelerate fine once in motion. Wondering if anyone else does this and if you think it lugs the engine too much?

2nd gear

I also take off in second gear, 1st gear to me is not needed to often.

and that way you dont hit the neutral

I haven't tried this yet, do you have to ride the clutch any to get it off from a stop?

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Just a little, not real bad.
    I use 1st, but hardly ever do more than 'just get it rolling' before I hit 2nd.

I don't ride the clutch if I don't give it too much fuel initially. Just gently bring it up to speed. If Im on an incline, I definitely use 1rst gear. Most of the time, starting off in second brings me up to highway speed much quicker, 1rst gear is so low I feel I might get creamed from the rear.

You guys are missing the fun of winding it up and feeling the power! Not saying to abuse it, just feel the rush. 1st gear is the one that gives it the motion.cueman

Taking off in 2nd gear

I always take off in second gear. The only time I really put the bike in first gear is when I'm about to shut it off, that's it. Taking off in second gear gives me that immediate acceleration that I need to distance myself from the others.

Mel

Quote Originally Posted by mel1973 View Post
    I always take off in second gear. The only time I really put the bike in first gear is when I'm about to shut it off, that's it. Taking off in second gear gives me that immediate acceleration that I need to distance myself from the others.

Mel

I am going to keep my opinions on this matter to myself, as...it your your bike...and you can ride it anyway you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles View Post
    I am going to keep my opinions on this matter to myself, as...it your your bike...and you can ride it anyway you want to.
    I am with you on this one
    Pete
    BikeMP3

http://WWW.BIKEMP3.COM

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    William Blake