Quote Originally Posted by MisterB View Post
I hate to have too many pricey doodads hanging off the bike, I'm happy with my Garmin Nuvi 50LM mainly because of the lifetime maps and low price.
I'd love to have the top of the line but would hate to pay for it and would hate to lose it to thieves or a drop.
The Nuvi works great plus has a nice RAM mount adapter:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
Downside is that it won't do GPX files, this is something I didn't know about when I bought it, will look for a unit that supports them next time around.
I'm probably the only one who didn't know about GPX files, but if someone else doesn't; here's the deal:
You can go to a site like this and download the GPX file and put it on your GPS unit, then you load it and follow it.
The above isn't the best example, the route can be much more complex, comprising many different roads and turns that would be cumbersome to program directly into a GPS unit and distracting if you were to use tank bag mounted turn-by-turn written directions.

So the checklist for next unit is: GPX compatible and RAM mount available. Waterproof is pretty expensive compared to a ziplock bag.
I haven't a clue what a GPX file is and have not the want to find out. I like things simple that work without all the hi tech stuff. I still have a stupid phone that works just fine as a phone and wouldn't want a smart phone for love nor money. My Nuvi 205 with it little screen work just fine and has many other trips under its belt. It has always been right on target and puts me at the place I log in.
The biggest thing with all of these is to unload the new maps often. If you try to avoid that it will cause your unit to error.