Best Place to Hide a Tile
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Place to Hide a Tile

Best Place to Hide a Tile

Got a 4 pack of Tiles, which are Bluetooth locator devices. Think poor-man's Lojack for your stuff. I'm going to hide one on my B, and if stolen will let me know where it is.

Question: Where is the best place to hide a tile? It's about 1.5" x 1.5" x .10"

Under air filter cover........NO ONE would look there!!! Unless of course they had an extra 3 hours to spend !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by YikesCops View Post
    Got a 4 pack of Tiles, which are Bluetooth locator devices. Think poor-man's Lojack for your stuff. I'm going to hide one on my B, and if stolen will let me know where it is.

Question: Where is the best place to hide a tile? It's about 1.5" x 1.5" x .10"
    What would be the purpose of hiding this "tile" in your F6B? It is not a cellphone, it is a bluetooth device. That means that your phone will tell you where you bike is once it reestablishes connection with that tile via bluetooth - or within 100 feet.
    2016 Honda F6B Deluxe . Matte Pearl White . Klock Werks Fairing

Bluetooth is a short range device and it would have to be blind luck to have your bike stolen and then be near another Tile app user. Save your money and make sure your insurance coverage is up to date.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2015 F6B Deluxe
    Matte Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cruzdog954 View Post
    What would be the purpose of hiding this "tile" in your F6B? It is not a cellphone, it is a bluetooth device. That means that your phone will tell you where you bike is once it reestablishes connection with that tile via bluetooth - or within 100 feet.
    Tiles are able to report their location to others in the Tile network. So, if somebody steals my B, I report it as lost, it should start reporting it's location. That's when I go over their, beat the crap out of whomever stole it, and ride home with a smile on my face. See video below.

https://youtu.be/J0z3fSo3XmY

Quote Originally Posted by YikesCops View Post
    Tiles are able to report their location to others in the Tile network. So, if somebody steals my B, I report it as lost, it should start reporting it's location. That's when I go over their, beat the crap out of whomever stole it, and ride home with a smile on my face. See video below.

https://youtu.be/J0z3fSo3XmY
    Of course this only works if Tile is prevalent in any given area. If everyone had Tile like people have iPhones, I'd say yeah. Otherwise, your bike may be in the chop shop before you even realize it's gone. On the other hand, I can see where this would help you in the case of misplacing your B.

I thought the way a Tile works is someone has to be about 100 feet from the Tile and have the Tile App. And only then can you get an idea where the Tile is. So what are the odds that if the bike is taken that someone with the Tile App will be that close to it?

Am I not right?
    Former owner of a 99 Valkyrie for 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by zeus661 View Post
    I thought the way a Tile works is someone has to be about 100 feet from the Tile and have the Tile App. And only then can you get an idea where the Tile is. So what are the odds that if the bike is taken that someone with the Tile App will be that close to it?

Am I not right?
    I think you are right. Devices running Tile Apps need to be running in order for the Tile/bikes to be located. That said, and as I said, it's a poor man's Lojack, I won't expect to always work. However, < $20 worth a try.

BTW, I put the tile strapped next to my battery. That way, I can replace it each time I replace the battery. Each has about the same life.

For $20 who cares !!!! I would do it !!!
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve 0080 View Post
    For $20 who cares !!!! I would do it !!!

Exactly!