Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
Having studied the maps this weekend, I am somewhat familiar with most of the roads you are mentioning, and have some of them planned. Great info, appreciate it. My buddy is pretty locked in about having to be back Sunday. He actually lives in Tyler, Tx, so he has an additional 130 miles each way. Tentatively, we were going to stay in Delta, hit 92 and then 149, and try to get to Raton, about 400ish miles, but through mountains. Is that distance doable with all the curves? 400 mountain miles is not like 400 hwy miles. I am still trying to get him to make it an additional day. You have confirmed my thoughts on that loop.

In your opinion, would staying in Durango two days warrant possibly missing hwy 92 and 149?
400 is a long day at mtn speeds that is 7 hours of riding and doesn't leave a lot of other time to enjoy anything but that being said if primary reason is sadlletime and just miles then go for it. I agree maturity is great ride but can be very hot. the private gateway lodge owned by the owner of discovery channel has an epic car museum privArely owned but open to public. 92 is a great road thru Crawford birthplace of joe cocker. and down black canyon is epic and then 149 as well. personally I would go thru montrose and down to ouray and then thru silverton down to Durango then across 160 then down to New Mexico from pagosa ....why 550 should not be missed...still not sure about your route to get to delta?we do 350 on a pretty regular basis but 12 hour summer day it's not bad, lunch and some stops along the way.