Had to lock 'em up for the first time today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Had to lock 'em up for the first time today

Had to lock 'em up for the first time today

Just got it up to 60 mph, not completely paying attention to my peripheral vision, and, hello, a deer right in front of me.

Got on the front brake hard, hard enough, to lock the rear (had my foot on the pedal but I don't think I was on it hard enough to lock it, so I think it was the linked system that did it). It got squirrely under me for just a half-second, but I dropped a lot of mph pretty quickly.

I am pleased with my reaction time, how I modulated the brakes to maintain control, but I did catch myself staring at the deer rather than looking for an escape route...Meatloaf said two outta three ain't bad...but I still need to practice some evasive maneuvers.

Man, I wish these things had ABS....one less thing to think about in a panic situation.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Just got it up to 60 mph, not completely paying attention to my peripheral vision, and, hello, a deer right in front of me.

Got on the front brake hard, hard enough, to lock the rear (had my foot on the pedal but I don't think I was on it hard enough to lock it, so I think it was the linked system that did it). It got squirrely under me for just a half-second, but I dropped a lot of mph pretty quickly.

I am pleased with my reaction time, how I modulated the brakes to maintain control, but I did catch myself staring at the deer rather than looking for an escape route...Meatloaf said two outta three ain't bad...but I still need to practice some evasive maneuvers.

Man, I wish these things had ABS....one less thing to think about in a panic situation.
    These are the scenarios that call for a change of clean underwear immediately afterwards. As far as trying to avoid a deer if it's directly in front of you; is to drive straight through them. Trying to maneuver around one is a almost completely unpredictable situation; based upon the deer's reaction/movements.

Glad that you came out on top of the event.

As far remembering evasive maneuvers.... let me quote one of Murphy's laws of combat operations:

16. No PLAN ever survives initial enemy contact.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Happy it turned out well for you. ABS will be on my next bike.

Glad your OK and didn't score a Bambi

Believe it or not, having just had the "brake recall performed" this is a procedure I'll intentionally be trying over the next several days. Want to see how the bike act in a "panic stop"! This will be a "controlled test" on a vacant road with room to recover, need be

[QUOTE=VStarRider;129474]

Good job avoiding the deer. I live in big deer country, too. I would say normally in a dangerous situation, yes look for an escape route. But when dealing with these big dumb critters, they seem to wait for you to make a move, then they head right towards your new direction. I feel you did OK by keeping your eyes on the deer. They are just too unpredictable.

wow

good job ... I popped a deer at 60mhp about 8 yrs ago the good thing is we (wife was on the back) (Valkyrie Interstate) hit the deer as it was jumping out of a ditch and I had just enough time to hit the front brakes , which caused the bike to dip enough for the deer butte to slide off my fairing...It wiggled my front end but I held it up. The deer squatted down on the road then got up and ran off! The wife (Devl) said you going to stop? I said hell no I'm going home!
    Robert RTaz Tasior

Cool

" Time to change.... "
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Well Glad that you are OK!! But I would say by the sounds of it you were pressing a little with that right foot even though you didn't think you were. I have grabbed a lot of brake on this bike and I have yet to hear rubber not making traction. It could be the tire that you are running as well. I am running the Metzler and I am very happy with how sicky it is. Probably won't get the 10k out of it but it is a nice riding tire.

Either way i am glad You stayed upright!

Glad you are alright!

Threshold braking is an important skill to master and obviously varies with each bike and the load on each bike.

I too am a bit puzzled that the front brake could lock up the rear....
    I'm going to have to do some testing as well.
    I have tried to lock the rear up with the pedal and succeeded but I had to REALLY try.
    I don't think I've ever locked the front but I know I've come really close trying to find that threshold braking point.

Again, glad you are good and yes, escape paths are good to have ALL the time, but with deer, the safest assumption was put out there by jm21: you get close and they are going to bolt one way or another, so just ride right at them, slowing if possible. No swerving and braking at the same time.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    No swerving and braking at the same time.
    A lesson learned and never forgotten.

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/