GPS/Iphone Apps - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GPS/Iphone Apps

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgey1 View Post
    I spent a lot of time preplanning this cool test route on country roads I'd never been on, using the Basecamp Gamin software. I Loaded the .gpx file on my iphone using he scenic app. Tonight I'm ready to test it out and Everytime I launch the app it crashes.... thank fully I had monkeyed with the route so much, that I had memorized most of it and didn't disappoint the group I was leading. I will have to delete the app and reload it, and try again. Anyone else creating custom routes?
    I've used Rever and RidewithGPS, and found both to be disappointing on an iPhone primarily because of the software crashing and because the offline mode was spotty at best.

Now that Google Maps has a multipoint routing feature, that's probably going to be my go to app. I'm using it now for point-point directions, the offline mode works great and it hasn't had a stability problem.

Google maps

Quote Originally Posted by motozeke View Post
    I've used Rever and RidewithGPS, and found both to be disappointing on an iPhone primarily because of the software crashing and because the offline mode was spotty at best.

Now that Google Maps has a multipoint routing feature, that's probably going to be my go to app. I'm using it now for point-point directions, the offline mode works great and it hasn't had a stability problem.
    I did not know that google had improved their mapping system, I will have to check it out.

Scenic App & Garmin Base Camp software

I am just getting back from a 1,100 mile, 6 day trip, touring Pennsylvania on my F6B. Our goal on this trip was to avoid driving on any Interstates "or a Dirt roads" and to primarily use secondary paved roads. We were able to achieve that goal, very well using the Garmin Base Camp software as the route planner and my iPhone as the navigator using the app named "Scenic". My phone stayed in the left cubby with the AUX jack plugged into it. The Scenic app worked very well and I also used it a couple of times to do the Routing and navigating when we wanted to make side trips that weren't pre-planned.

The Good 1: We had an amazing trip and saw some of the most beautiful parts of PA because of the pre-planned routes and not ever having to be on an interstate. 2: Did not have or use a expensive, stand alone GPS. 3: Scenic app allows you to download the maps, so you don't have to use data while navigating.

The Bad 1:The battery life of the phone was an issue that I addressed with a battery stick/charger. 2: On one leg of our trip, there was a bridge closed. The rerouting "or lack of" done by the Scenic app was not good, it kept bringing us in a circle back to the closed bridge...... 3: Occasionally it would tell us to turn right when the screen showed left?

Summary: Even with the couple of glitches, this worked famously, for doing what we intended it to do. The trip was amazing because of the routing. As a side note, the only reason I used the base camp to do the routing and not the Scenic app was because the app does not show the dirt roads or have the ability to avoid them. If they would improve this app to be able to avoid dirt roads, I would pay handsomely for it. The routing i did do using the Scenic app was amazingly easy to do when compared to the Garmin Base Camp software, which is bordering on awful to use.

I had the Scenic app loaded on both my iPhone and iPad. Once logged in on either device, my routes would show on either device. What was great about that was, I could sit with my iPad and create the route on the bigger screen, then save it and it was then available for navigation on my phone. Once they get Scenic to avoid dirt roads, I would give it a A+ even with the couple of glitches.

Co-Pilot rocks

Hi
    I'm very happy with Co-Pilot. I downloaded maps for US and Canada and so no need for an Internet link while traveling. In other words, it works just like a GPS. Maps are great and the audible directions are clear and Bluetoothed to my helmet. I have dedicated power to my iPhone so it stays charged. Works great
    Pete
    --------------------------------------------
    2013 F6B Deluxe Black
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    2005 Yamaha Zuma

Google

Google Maps here. Route plan with MyMaps and send to phone.
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

Google

Quote Originally Posted by Switchmonkey View Post
    Google Maps here. Route plan with MyMaps and send to phone.
    The problem I have with google maps is no ability to avoid unpaved roads, which are common where I live. Base camp shows unpaved roads as dashed lines.