Stretching her legs - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stretching her legs

How the hell do you guys concentrate for this long?!?! 250-300 miles and I'm toast.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    How the hell do you guys concentrate for this long?!?! 250-300 miles and I'm toast.
    I find that riding 1000 miles on an F6B is much easier than flying a military helicopter for 6 hours, 150 knots, at 35 ft above ground level, on night vision goggles, with someone shooting at you....
    Oh yeah, and the occasional high power line....

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I find that riding 1000 miles on an F6B is much easier than flying a military helicopter for 6 hours, 150 knots, at 35 ft above ground level, on night vision goggles, with someone shooting at you....

Cheers,
    Steve
    I'll take your word for it. I will do my best to avoid both of those things.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

NMRed,
    If my math is close to being to within 10%, I don't see you making Abilene until midnight CDT.
    I will not be awake.
    Get some good rest and we'll look forward to your next update.

Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by NMRed View Post
    Rode a little over 1800 miles in 38 hours from Tularosa NM to Tampa FL. Via I-10. I will be leaving Jacksonville Beach on Monday headed to Ocean beach, San Diego and an IBA 50cc certificate. This is by far the best bike I've ever rode for racking up serious miles!
    Nice! I did the 50cc last year with a group of 4 other riders. Fun adventure. We did it the opposite direction, however. San Diego to Jacksonville. First day was 1300 miles in 18 hours to San Antonio (more than originally planned, but we felt good and up for it). Slept 5 hours, and then "chilled" the 2nd day to finish it in 43 hours. Looking back on it, it was pure adrenaline. Good luck!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just finished

Ended my ride not quite as expected. I knew construction would be a challenge, but did not expect a chunk of rebar through the sidewall of the rear tire. A three hour wait for the tow and then (bright side maybe) a new set of elite fours in the morning. All is well in hand and I have an excuse to try again. The 1881 miles to Tampa in 38 hours was a piece of cake on this mile eating machine.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Bummer!
    I'm so sorry Chris!

You are near Pecos, TX, home of the Texas Rodeo!
    Great steak dinners.
    The airfield is run by a guy from Texas and his wife from South Africa.
    Long story as to how I came to meet them.
    Great people.

Safe travels home and I'll look forward to meeting you again on the next try!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD

Ambrose Bierce

Shortened stretched legs

Back home after an aborted 50CC attempt. Picked up a piece of rebar in a construction zone east of Monahans Tx whic put a large (unrepairable) hole in the rear tire. Biggest lesson learned is to double check on your roadside assistance and make sure help is on the way. I was told help was three hours out by the insurance rep I spoke with. three and a half hours latter I called the towing company and was told they had no request on file. Another call to insurance rep and they set me up with another Company. Kudos to Crash Masters Towing of Odessa Tx for their service. The driver called me to tell me when he would arrive before I got word back from the insurance rep. The driver even took me to a hotel and picked me up in the morning to have the bike repaired. Brandon Wallace and the folks At Golden Suzuki, Honda, Kawasaki and Yamaha were great and fixed me up with a new set of Dunlop E4s and repaired a fuel leak caused by a bad gasket from my aux tank install. After spending eight hours beside the highway waiting for help, I went to my agent today and started the investigation process to see where the foul-up was, the roadside assistance coordination company or the towing company. When I know more I'll name the innocent and guilty parties. As Clement Salvadori said in Rider Magazine "If it can be fixed with a check and a little time its not really a problem." I came out just fine, but any number of scenarios could have been much worse. Don't take anyone's word for it, if possible make sure help is on the way yourself.
    All in all it just adds up to an excuse for another great ride in the future.
    NMRed
    IBA# 63255

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post

Cheers,
    Steve

Try flying at night chasing bad guys for a living with NVGs and a partner working the FLIR shouting out turn turn come around and hoover!! all the while your right off the deck and scanning for those pesky power lines!! Yes, at the end of the day its just beautiful to kick back and twist the throttle on my F6B racking up road miles with the wind in my face!! Oh, and most if not always the bad guys do shoot back- plenty of bullet holes patched in the honeycomb!

Rotorhead-Dave
    Retired LEO Central FL.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    Russell Day Long, an incredible seat that has to be sat to believe, I wish my wife paid for mine, she's a keeper definitely.
    The wife or the Russell Day Long ?
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin