Quote Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
I do hate the consumer based R&D, but then again, pretty much everything is. My heartburn is once the R&D has been done, freaking fix the issue for a change! I won't be getting a new HD with the M8 anytime soon, but I will say maintenance and care makes a huge difference on perception. Neither my shovelhead or panhead mark thier territory, and neither are out of oil. Just saying.

Mike
That's true, regardless of manufacturer.

The 2015 Bs have some beefier transmission parts compared to my 2013, for example. A non-mechanical example, the 2015s+ have cruise control, mine doesn't.

My 2006 Apex sled was on the trail R & D for Yamaha. The cut out all but two grease zerks and used "permanently sealed" bushings in the suspension to try to shave a few ounces of weight. I was replacing those bushings every fall until I gave up and traded it in. They also used me and others to experiment with titanium Y pipes...which tended to crack and break every couple of years. Titanium ain't cheap.

I do have a question about Harley...how in the world are they able to meet EPA regs with air-cooled engines?!?!