Maiden voyage

Thread: Maiden voyage

Maiden voyage

Just finished an eight day, 3300 mile trip on my F6B and the complaints are minimal. I rode in every condition due to weather or road and have to say it destroys every bike I've previously owned. It's amazing how much work the bike cuts out of riding. I bet my shifting was cut down 20% due to this bikes power band and even though I loved my Street Glide there is no comparison to the bikes off the showroom floor. I do have a couple complaints but they can be fixed easily. The gas cap door is complete crap and starts to get nicked at the front edge after you pop open the center compartment 3 or 4 times. Why not beef this up and get better tolerances so they don't touch? I'm also trying to figure out how and why I have dead bugs inside my speaker grills after a 500 mile day. These aren't complaints about bike but I want my bars up and out a tad but can't get passed the look of the Heli bars. Maybe just the shims will do the trick. I'm having my stock seat modified on Wednesday and was a little bummed that they couldn't get me in before my trip but now I'm glad as I know exactly what I want done. All in all this bike is almost perfect out of the crate and very enjoyable. It's even better when you get to roll with your kid, even tho he had to slum it on the Harley.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewreck View Post
    Just finished an eight day, 3300 mile trip on my F6B and the complaints are minimal. I rode in every condition due to weather or road and have to say it destroys every bike I've previously owned. It's amazing how much work the bike cuts out of riding. I bet my shifting was cut down 20% due to this bikes power band and even though I loved my Street Glide there is no comparison to the bikes off the showroom floor. I do have a couple complaints but they can be fixed easily. The gas cap door is complete crap and starts to get nicked at the front edge after you pop open the center compartment 3 or 4 times. Why not beef this up and get better tolerances so they don't touch? I'm also trying to figure out how and why I have dead bugs inside my speaker grills after a 500 mile day. These aren't complaints about bike but I want my bars up and out a tad but can't get passed the look of the Heli bars. Maybe just the shims will do the trick. I'm having my stock seat modified on Wednesday and was a little bummed that they couldn't get me in before my trip but now I'm glad as I know exactly what I want done. All in all this bike is almost perfect out of the crate and very enjoyable. It's even better when you get to roll with your kid, even tho he had to slum it on the Harley.
    Glad you had a nice trip and enjoyed the F6B...Never heard of the gas cap door issues from anyone on the board as yet??I switched my stocker to one from Kuryakyn that has a hole in center for water bottle..Rarely open it up and perhaps that is why no problems with the gas cap lid...I had some bar issues at first, but after installing a lower Mustang seat and riding now for almost 4 years the bar height is a non-issue for me....Ride safe and enjoy the bike...BTW, I grew up in Denver and lived in Colorado for 20 years....

Glad to hear you had a great time!!!

I use my glovebox ALL the time and yes, I have some marring on the gas cap lid.
    Hinge angles.
    Seemingly trivial????
    Even a redesigned (routed?) bottom of the glove box lid would prevent that marring.
    At 55k miles, that is honestly the least of my paint worries...

Keep riding!!!
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Show Chrome makes/ made a smoked chrome part that rings the gas door. Event that on my 13 was getting chaffed. For my 14 I picked up some clear panel protector from Saddleman. Replaced it in the spring. Still going strong.

My 6 has 35,000 +, appx 31,000 by me and I love it. Just got back from a 2,700 mile ride to the Smokies, but my arse/back cannot handle more than 1.5 hours in the saddle before I need to stop and that is w/a Mustang seat, not the bikes fault but my bodies.
    SOUTHERN small town Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    My 6 has 35,000 +, appx 31,000 by me and I love it. Just got back from a 2,700 mile ride to the Smokies, but my arse/back cannot handle more than 1.5 hours in the saddle before I need to stop and that is w/a Mustang seat, not the bikes fault but my bodies.
    My Body is a mess from a near fatal bike accident in 2000 so I feel ya. Even though this bike allows you to stretch your stops I still enjoy a butt break at 180.

My butt NEVER gets sore with my Corbin seat and an airhawk pad. I velcroed the pad to the seat so it doesn't move around and feel surprisingly good after 600-1000 mile days. However, your butt may differ.

My gas lid is chapped also and it never occurred to me that it was the center console lid that was causing it. I figure it was gas fumes or just another issue with the paint used on the bike.I have the same problem where my jeans rub against the 'gas tank' sides. Normally I have just been waxing them and call it good.
    I got mine in June'13 and I am still in love with this bike...

Quote Originally Posted by grendl View Post
    My gas lid is chapped also and it never occurred to me that it was the center console lid that was causing it. I figure it was gas fumes or just another issue with the paint used on the bike.I have the same problem where my jeans rub against the 'gas tank' sides. Normally I have just been waxing them and call it good.
    I got mine in June'13 and I am still in love with this bike...
    I just put a small strip of Invisa Bra on the edge of cap. Still crappy design IMO. This bike is an 7 out of the crate but would be a 10 with better quality trim and paint