Not yet taken the plunge - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not yet taken the plunge

Quote Originally Posted by Verismo View Post
    +1

I think your absolute biggest concern will be the weight of the bike at slow speeds/while pushing it. Going from a 350 pounder to an 800 pounder is a big change. There are after market seat solutions and peg relocation solutions to give you more stretch, but some are expensive, so factor that into your purchase price.

If you push the bike around the parking lot and have no troubles, and if you don't mind the money for the ergonomic adjustments, then it's an absolutely beautiful machine.

Jason
    Well, thank y'all for your input. I shall visit the dealer next week and try the moving around thing. Also ask about the Ultimate seat upgrade that a neighbor (he sold his GW last year due to its weight) suggested.
    Honk if you like peace and quiet.

age changes things

Quote Originally Posted by Raputtak View Post
    Newbie here, saying hi y'all.

I am rapidly approaching my 70th year and have started doing silly things:

First silly thing: I read the review of the 2018 Goldwing right to the end
    Second: I gave it a lot of thought
    Third: I did a bit of research online, forums etc.
    Fourth: I went to the local dealer.

They had a 2017 GW. I sat on it but did not like the seat/riding position. I am tallish, but long in the thigh (as well as long in the tooth) and found I was a little cramped. The dealer said the 2018 seat was further forward. Hmm, I thought. She also had a 2016 F6B. I sat on that. Much better, although not perfect.

My last motorcycle was an old BSA650 with a large sidecar back in the late '60s.

I have ridden Vespas on and off since 1964. Every one I have bought since 2009 I have had the sculptured seat flattened by a local upholsterer as I like to sit further back.

My current ride is a Vespa GTS 300. It can and does leave Harleys and Yamahas in its dust from the light. Probably due to the CVT transmission and the light weight (350lbs). It will cruise at 70mph and I have done long -ish trips on it.

Am I crazy looking at the F6B?
    I think several issues come into play here - at 70 how hard is it for you to move the bike around in the garage - Vespa is a joy to move around, an F6B, well, it's a job even at 60.

Can you put the bigger bike on the center stand if it has one?

Different seats create different riding stance so it may only be a seat change that is necessary for fitment.

How are you planning on using the F6B / wing? If only riding a distance occasionally it may not be worth the investment. The Vespa is a perfect around town bike. I use an Indian Scout around town because the F6B is a chore in traffic for my little body. However I WILL be sitting on the new 2018 F6B / wing, all automatic model with reverse the moment I can find one within 200 miles.
    Be Careful What YOU Wish For

Quote Originally Posted by K/W Motoman View Post
    My only suggestion when deciding on a F6B is to get the dealer to move it out of the showroom and into the parking lot then sit it it and maneuver back and forth using just your legs.
    Then get off and push it around using your arms and legs going forward then backwards.
    I love mine but it is a heavy pig to maneuver. The new 2018 does not have reverse unless you buy the full Wing Tourer.
    You just have to remember not to park with your front wheel pointing downhill.
    I got a great deal on a 2016 and have no regrets. The engine alone is worth the price admission.
    Good advice! The 2018 US spec Goldwing DOES have reverse on the DCT model.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum"

Well, thank y'all for your input. I shall visit the dealer next week and try the moving around thing. Also ask about the Ultimate seat upgrade that a neighbor (he sold his GW last year due to its weight) suggested.
    You may want to take a look at a Honda Silverwing as well.

The only thing I can think of when I see a Vespa is Lloyd and Harry frozen together.

Get the F6B and be prepared to be blown away. I'm a youngin' (by comparison), but I find it an easy bike to maneuver any where I need/want to go. Like others have said...just don't be dumb and dumber by parking it on a down slope with no where to go but backward.

F6B bonus...you won't have to worry about a Vespa in your rearview mirror.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hey you're welcome! And whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it. . I like just about anything on two wheels and have never owned a scooter before. I ran around with a guy who owned a Kymco 500 xciting a while back and he would straight up leave me until about 25 mph. No warm up or prep either. Hop on, turn the key and zip, he was away in a hurry.

Quick tip you may already know about the wing/F6b. Standing it up off the side stand isn't difficult in any position, but if you stand up while straddling it and move about as far forward as you can (I welcome and expect any and all jokes here), then you can use the inside of your left thigh to stand the bike up with leverage and it feels about as light as can be due to the low center of gravity. Hope it suits your needs! I sure have enjoyed my ride today.

Jason

Just for some closure:

I spent the weekend pondering. And riding the GTS.

I guess I have decided that as I really do not want to do long trips on highways the F6B or other large motorcycle would not be for me. I figured I could learn to handle (cope with?) the weight now, but in a few years, who knows? Age is like toilet paper: the closer you get to the end, the faster it unrolls.

So, I shall be thankful for what I have, for my old friends on MV, my new friends here, and get on with it.

Thank you all again for your input.
    Honk if you like peace and quiet.

Take a look at the Honda NM4. A friend here has one and it looks to be a great bike of somewhat less stature than a F6B but still plenty road worthy. A good in between of the GW and a Vespa. http://powersports.honda.com/touring/2018/nm4.aspx