About 7 years ago right after I retired I did durability testing on Cam Am Spyders at the Nissan Test facility in Maricopa Arizona where Bombardier leased track facilites during the winter months. The bikes we rode were mostly pre-production three cylinder models, although we did ride some of the two cylinders as well. The three cylinders weren't released to the market until the 2014 model year. We rode both the stick shift and semi automatic bikes and the testing was very strenuous. After each shift the bikes were thoroughly checked by the engineers and techs. In 2014 I rode a RTS model from Tampa Florida to Phoenix Arizona.

With all the foregoing being said on the early three cylinder models at the test track the stability control was very abrupt when it engaged. On high speed days when we spent the entire shift on the 5 mile high banked oval we experienced some issues with transmission overheating on the semi-automatics. On the durability circuit which was very rough if the bike bottomed out it would occasionally engage the stability control which felt like it was going to throw you off the bike. The seat release and the trunk release which are both engaged by depressing the ignition key and turning it failed failed occasionally which could be very disturbing to the average owner because the fuel cap is under the seat. We also saw failures with the rear ride height control.

Keep in mind these were pre-production bikes and they were run twenty hours a day under very harsh conditions. On high speed days the bikes, except for fuel stops, spent the entire shift at speeds from eighty to 125 mile per hour. The trip from Tampa to Phoenix which I did in three days I experienced absolutely no problems. Also on the trip from Tampa to Phoenix my fuel mileage averaged 25.5 mpg.

Would I buy a Can Am Spyder? I have no plans to get off of two wheels but if I ever do I will probability go with a GoldWing Trike.

Just my two cents
Az wingrider