BIG Props To SuperBrace - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BIG Props To SuperBrace

[QUOTE=Miles;20953]As usual, to each his or her own, and...YMMV, but I like this product. If you want to avoid dropping one of the dust shields ....get a Kuryakyn brand one, like Steve and I have done, as the dust shields are built in to the brace. And it is powder-coated a very high gloss black.

http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=fork+brace

Miles I like that you can remove all 4 dust shields on the SuperBrace.I think on most bikes (not the F6B) the brace looks better on the bike without the dust shields installed
    Ride it like you stole it

I would like to address the dust shield issue. While I agree that appearance without the shields might be better, it only takes a small piece of gravel or a rock to hit the fork tubes to cause a tiny nick in the tube surface. This can cause an almost microscopic rough edge that can cause premature failure of the fork seals. Those fork protectors from Honda are there for a reason and it is not for "dust", it is to prevent damage to the fork tubes.

+1...................
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

The SuperBrace was one of my first mods. Great product that works as others have posted. Install it and enjoy the ride.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
    I would like to address the dust shield issue. While I agree that appearance without the shields might be better, it only takes a small piece of gravel or a rock to hit the fork tubes to cause a tiny nick in the tube surface. This can cause an almost microscopic rough edge that can cause premature failure of the fork seals. Those fork protectors from Honda are there for a reason and it is not for "dust", it is to prevent damage to the fork tubes.
    I agree 100% but I just find it odd that so many motorcycles (even ones more money then the F6B) have the fork tubes exposed

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    I agree 100% but I just find it odd that so many motorcycles (even ones more money then the F6B) have the fork tubes exposed
    Fork tube protectors are ubiquitous on off-road bikes because the likelihood of rock chips. Some road bikes let it slide, but replacing a damaged fork tube is an expensive proposition. Look at the front of a Goldwing after 50,000 miles and you will likely see chips in the front fairing, fender, etc. Whatever caused the paint chips can also potentially damage a fork tube.

Quote Originally Posted by F6B-RICH View Post
    Rich, I think that another thing to think about is....that a lot of those other bikes, especially the higher priced ones, are more into styling, and having the front forks be shown, than they are into practical science, and the longevity of the bike. Bikes like a Wing, and an ST1300 and an FJR1300, and most BMWs are more into the practical function and longevity of the bike, than they are into pure styling.

I have a little different take on this...if you consider the length of the upper "dust" protector, you can see that it doesn't nearly cover or protect the fork tube over it's complete travel length. At a casual glance, it looks like you're protecting maybe half of the tube against damage from rocks and other flying debris. In addition, the probability of damage to the tubes from said debris is, no doubt, very remote. Still, there is some protection there and that's a good thing. My guess is that Honda added those more for looks than for any real protection but perhaps it serves both purposes to some degree. Personally, I don't mind the look and the covers will remain attached to my brace.

Admin - Chief poop scooper Phantom's Avatar

This is from my observations .....

1. The entire exposed fork tube does NOT pass through the seal, the marks on my Goldwing show that the most my tubes have ever compressed was ONLY 2 inches.

2. The Honda shields rise and protect 1.5 inches of the exposed tube that enters the bottom half.

3. In order for a rock to leave a permanent mark on your tube, you must be traveling at a higher rate of speed.

4. Traveling at a high rate of speed, the Honda deflectors (just like a windshield) will probably create an additional 1/2 inch air deflection-buffer zone above them, hence protecting the exposed 2 inches that actually goes through the seals and inside the bottom half.
    If you have ever been riding on the interstate and been caught in the rain with a full face helmet, those rain drops sting part of your lower neck. Similar theory.

5. Honda ENGINEERS designed them to that spec for a reason.

6. It's a HONDA and it's designed so that it gives you the LEAST amount of maintenance. You can compliment it with improvements but I would personally not remove those particular shields.

Just my 2 cents.

Successful people build each other up. They motivate, inspire and push each other. Unsuccessful people just hate, blame and complain.

Thats why I am on this forum to learn.This is my first wing.I am not that young but younger then most on this site.The things I am learning from the older guys is helping alot