I was in my early 20's still racing motocross and doing some desert/trail riding also. I was with a few friends one day and we were riding out to a place called 'Wild Horse' it was a bar restaurant and was accessable by desert riding back in those days. We were racing each other (Of course) I was on a Honda CR500, big two stroke dirt bike. There was a long stretch of desert just before the bar, about 3 miles of it. We hit that part of the race pretty much neck'in neck. I opened up the CR500 and let her fly. Probably doing abot 80 t0 85MPH through the desert. Let me tell ya, that is fast through the desert! And it feels fast too! About half way through the 3 mile stretch I had a big green june bug hit me right in the middle of my chest! I thought it was going to go through me, just about knocked me off the bike. It hurt so bad, I had a big ole welt that lasted for days. (In case ya don't know, a june bug is a big green flying beetle and its very hard!) After that, always wore my chest protector!