I'd also say just test ride an F6B...and then smile..I am in the process of thinning my stable of bikes to pay for the Red/Black F6BD that I just bought.
I sold my 09 Valkyrie Tourer to a friend in Florida. Being the good salesman I sealed the deal by riding the bike to him from my
home in New Jersey. Next on the selling block is my 99 Valkyrie Interstate..then comes the 1975 GoldWing.

I will miss the Valkyries and the Wing but the F6B is more than capable in filling the gap. Biggest startling difference to me is the low speed handling on
the F6B. It is "lights out " better than the Valkyrie. The fixed fairing takes a little bit of time to get used to but not by much time.

The stock sporty windshield has already been replaced by a stock 03 GoldWing windshield that I had.( I need to just modify it more with new mounting
holes to get it low enough to completely see over)
The rear Passenger backrest is being replaced by an Ultimate backrest and the driver position is getting a Utopia backrest.

I kept an open mind about the "new" Valkyrie but after seeing one in person. I was underwhelmed.the F6B beside it was another story.
Sat on it, pulled it upright,rocked it back and forth.. and sensed and thought ... This is real nice !

To answer your question...Yes you are on the right track