Regrets? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Regrets?

Big, don't rush into purchasing your next ride...it's a huge investment...not only the base cost, but the cost and time for all the upgrades/accessories you would add to the bike.

First off, getting the right bike depends on what type of style riding you do. Do you just like to put put/cruise around for short distances? Do you like to go on long haul 3-4 or 14 day trips? Do you like to drag knee in the canyons? And even sometimes, we based our ride on what our friends all ride. I owned two bikes prior to purchasing my F6B. I owned the Yamaha FJR (more sport and a bit touring) and the Victory Cross Country (Bagger for touring). Well, I won't go into the details of my Yamaha as that was a fine bike. I just couldn't take that bike on long 4 day trips, but man, that was a fun bike and very maneuverable. I'll explain more of why I got rid of the Victory since it too is manufactured by Polaris. I really liked the look of my Victory...I had added a ton of after market parts to make that bike look bad ass. The ride of my Victory was smooth and very roomy, I was able to stretch out with the super long floorboards. Within a year I rode that bike for approximately 25K miles. The problem with that bike was, I had numerous warranty problems with it throughout my ownership. Issues from a rear porous cylinder head (replaced twice), replaced cruise control module, belt pulley replaced due to squealing, primary gasket replaced, there were missing corner pieces in my saddlebags which created air gaps, hard start issues due to over heating, rear shock seepage (required replacement), and the last straw was the alternator died during a ride.

Now, I owned the Victory for a total of 17 months, and all these issued occurred during that short time period. Now, did Polaris take care of me as they should to any of their customer? Not really. Unless you think it's standard to wait two weeks for an in-stock part to arrive to your dealership. For my 1st rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for three weeks. The 2nd rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for 44 days....luckily I had my FJR to ride otherwise I would have been real bitchy. I don't think that's acceptable, but everyone has their own standards.

I need a dependable bike, and my Victory was far from it. I had just returned from a 4-day road trip three days prior to my alternator failed. If that had happened during my trip, I would have be screwed. So that was when I started looking at other alternative instead of waiting for my warranty to expire.

On another note, there are Honda dealerships just about everywhere...I have one four miles away from my house. As for a Victory dealership, I have to ride 45 miles to one to have it serviced. As for Indian dealerships...those are even fewer and far between.

Big, I'm not pushing you to pushing you either way...I just wanted you to be informed on what I went through. It doesn't mean every Victory or Indian is going to have all those issues. I have friends who have Victories and they don't have any problems. And I have one friend that is frustrated like I was with his warranty issues as Polaris gave him a two week date for his rear shock to arrive, but extended it to four weeks.

Good luck Big!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by VP8 View Post
    Big, don't rush into purchasing your next ride...it's a huge investment...not only the base cost, but the cost and time for all the upgrades/accessories you would add to the bike.

First off, getting the right bike depends on what type of style riding you do. Do you just like to put put/cruise around for short distances? Do you like to go on long haul 3-4 or 14 day trips? Do you like to drag knee in the canyons? And even sometimes, we based our ride on what our friends all ride. I owned two bikes prior to purchasing my F6B. I owned the Yamaha FJR (more sport and a bit touring) and the Victory Cross Country (Bagger for touring). Well, I won't go into the details of my Yamaha as that was a fine bike. I just couldn't take that bike on long 4 day trips, but man, that was a fun bike and very maneuverable. I'll explain more of why I got rid of the Victory since it too is manufactured by Polaris. I really liked the look of my Victory...I had added a ton of after market parts to make that bike look bad ass. The ride of my Victory was smooth and very roomy, I was able to stretch out with the super long floorboards. Within a year I rode that bike for approximately 25K miles. The problem with that bike was, I had numerous warranty problems with it throughout my ownership. Issues from a rear porous cylinder head (replaced twice), replaced cruise control module, belt pulley replaced due to squealing, primary gasket replaced, there were missing corner pieces in my saddlebags which created air gaps, hard start issues due to over heating, rear shock seepage (required replacement), and the last straw was the alternator died during a ride.

Now, I owned the Victory for a total of 17 months, and all these issued occurred during that short time period. Now, did Polaris take care of me as they should to any of their customer? Not really. Unless you think it's standard to wait two weeks for an in-stock part to arrive to your dealership. For my 1st rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for three weeks. The 2nd rear cylinder head replacement, my bike was at the dealer for 44 days....luckily I had my FJR to ride otherwise I would have been real bitchy. I don't think that's acceptable, but everyone has their own standards.

I need a dependable bike, and my Victory was far from it. I had just returned from a 4-day road trip three days prior to my alternator failed. If that had happened during my trip, I would have be screwed. So that was when I started looking at other alternative instead of waiting for my warranty to expire.

On another note, there are Honda dealerships just about everywhere...I have one four miles away from my house. As for a Victory dealership, I have to ride 45 miles to one to have it serviced. As for Indian dealerships...those are even fewer and far between.

Big, I'm not pushing you to pushing you either way...I just wanted you to be informed on what I went through. It doesn't mean every Victory or Indian is going to have all those issues. I have friends who have Victories and they don't have any problems. And I have one friend that is frustrated like I was with his warranty issues as Polaris gave him a two week date for his rear shock to arrive, but extended it to four weeks.

Good luck Big!!
    That is all VERY concerning VP and that sort of information is what I'm here for. That being said, I'd not heard the like from other Polaris product owners. Dealer network concern is a very real factor -- but not so much that I'm pursuing HD where I could find somebody to work on my bike on every corner not to mention dealerships.

Riding wise, sounds like I fall somewhere in between your categories. I'm a ~400 mile a day rider comfortably. I've thought about challenging myself with an iron butt ride but it would be just that -- a MAJOR challenge. If I buy in Chattanooga or Little Rock, I'd be looking at ~600 mile days I figure and even that would be a challenge on my present bike at least. As far as knee dragging, the couple times I've scraped pegs scared the hell out of me. I had a slammed M109R a few years ago and would drag my boot heel now and then on it but that's about all. My wife has to be very patient to follow me in the twisties around here because she likes to take them faster than I do. Stylistically, I can swing both ways, but to be honest with myself, I probably fit the Gold Wing category more than the cruiser. I don't have tattoos or biceps even and I believe in full face helmets and proper riding gear. But if I had that M109R again or something like the Triumph Rocket which also visually appeals to me, I'd want something like a Honda Helix to putt around town on. As you see, I'm a bit of a chameleon when it comes to style. That too frustrates my wife who is even more all in with Indian than I am.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    VP, I wish I could say your experiences with Polaris products were 'unheard of' but they are far more common than they should be.
    I was in the market last summer, waiting for the triple digit heat to subside before I bought,,, I had all the time in the world to consider all makes/models, and I was leaning heavily towards Victory,

A couple months on the Vic boards was enough to see several folks with problems like yours,,, Too many for the number of bikes Vic has on the road,,,

On the other hand, the flat-six based platform of the F6B is darn near bullet-proof, with millions upon millions of miles covered.

You could say it's got Honda Goldwing 'Heritage',,,, if you're the type of person who needs to hear/see 'Heritage'

Indian? Made by Polaris? If they can't get the Vic's right,,,,,,,,,,,,, well,,,,,, maybe a different nameplate on the tank and a good dose of "Indian [made by Polaris] ~Heritage~" commercials will help with that!

I'll sell you my backrest!

Quote Originally Posted by ED209 View Post
    2. on wish list

First I need that backrest........
    I do not use that passenger backrest, never have. I'll see it to you but you'll have to swap back mountain plates with me.

Tim Reilly
    Boerne, TX

Welcome to the forum from San Clemente, Ca. Best of luck with your search!

BigCabDaddy "We'll just have to agree to disagree then as my opinion is based on riding experience as well. But what I meant to say is that Indian v F6B is not the apples to oranges that say F6B v Harley would be."

Go Indian or you will never be happy!!! The worst mistake in life in my opinion is "settling" never settle ...if you never own another bike at least you will not have wasted any of your money on a Honda.....

Indian= 2 cyl. H.D.= 2cyl. ////////////// F6B = 6 cyl

APPLES ///////////// Orange
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcabdaddy View Post
    That is all VERY concerning VP and that sort of information is what I'm here for. That being said, I'd not heard the like from other Polaris product owners. Dealer network concern is a very real factor -- but not so much that I'm pursuing HD where I could find somebody to work on my bike on every corner not to mention dealerships.
    I owned a Polaris Victory Cross Roads. I put 5 thousand miles on it in 5 months and it was in the shop for weeks at a time. I bought it brand new and had more issues with that Victory than any other bike I've ever owned. Oil seepage/leaks and various electrical issues were the primary problems. The dealer would keep the bike for a few weeks, tell me it's fixed, and then a week later I'd notice the same issue that they supposedly fixed. After that experience I'm done with Victory and although I really like the new Indians I wouldn't buy one until they have a proven record of reliability.

If you're even considering the Indian, get the Indian.

I don't think you belong here.

If you're looking for problems with the F6B, you won't find any.

You sound like you have trouble making decisions.

'Nuff said.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    If you're even considering the Indian, get the Indian.

I don't think you belong here.

If you're looking for problems with the F6B, you won't find any.

You sound like you have trouble making decisions.

'Nuff said.
    I agree with motorman...After re-reading several posts above, I think your just searching for other opinions and are not really interested in the F6B...Stick with the Indian and then you will be happy, your wife happy, and those who ride Indians will be happy!!!..Good Luck

I can say this much. One year ago I was in a similar situation. I was looking at the f6b vs harley road glide. I bought the good old American dream or should I say nightmare. And here I am one year later and traded in the nightmare for the bike I should have bought in the first place. Sounds to me like you really want the Indian So just buy it. But like others have already said. There is no comparison between the f6 and the Indian The f6 is way better