Clearview Windshield Modification
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clearview Windshield Modification

Clearview Windshield Modification

Interested in trying a Clearview but I'm on the fence between the medium and large size.

If I get the large and it turns out to be taller than I like, can I lengthen the mounting slots and slide the large version of this windshield down to the height of a medium? I tried to illustrate this thought in the pic below... the dashed red lines show where I'd lengthen the slots.

On the surface this seems like a straightforward mod but I'm concerned about how the windshield curves and if these curves would prevent the large shield from sliding further down into the Honda top cover.

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Might have to cope those areas back,,,, My opinion would be, if you are on the fence, tis better to be too long than too short,,,

Quote Originally Posted by srt8-in-largo View Post
    Interested in trying a Clearview but I'm on the fence between the medium and large size.

If I get the large and it turns out to be taller than I like, can I lengthen the mounting slots and slide the large version of this windshield down to the height of a medium? I tried to illustrate this thought in the pic below... the dashed red lines show where I'd lengthen the slots.

On the surface this seems like a straightforward mod but I'm concerned about how the windshield curves and if these curves would prevent the large shield from sliding further down into the Honda top cover.

I'll try to make note and maybe shoot a pic or two when mine arrives... should be tomorrow.

Scot, so you think this can be done? What do you mean by "cope those areas back"?

Bigdaddy, that's very cool of you. Thanks! I'd love to hear your opinion of this and the shield in general when you get it.

I would think you would be able to do it without too much hassle. That being said if it was me I would probably order both and see which I liked better and return or sell the other.

I ordered a tall one (waiting for it now) and I too couldn't decide between the tall or medium however I read on Clearview's site that as long as you do not peel off the plastic on the windshield you can exchange it if not happy. The plastic allows you to install and test-ride before you make a "final" decision.

I just installed the Clearview medium, sport touring, vented, in light grey which gives me between 15 1/4 and 16 inches in height as measured from the top of the dash. I have it at the highest level. I'm 6 ft and sit on an Ultimate king seat.

The top of this shield hits me around the upper lip allowing me to see over the windshield which is what I wanted. The wind deflection hits me at the hairline which I'm ok with. Prior to the windshield I used to have to squint as the wind would churn behind my eye glasses if I didn't use my helmet shield. Now, with the med windshield, there is no wind directly in my face. I can sit naturally in the saddle and relax my eyes completely. It's awesome.

For me, if I went with the tall, I'd probably have the top of the windshield directly in my view. I don't want to look through the shield when I ride.

Suggestion: I took a piece of poster board and held it against the outside of the stock windshield. Raise the poster board up and down to a height that you feel would work from you. Make sure you measure the height as Clearview does. Doing this definitely helped identify a windshield height that worked for me. I've seen too many posts of owners collecting large numbers of windshields and didn't want to join them. I seem to have got it right.

The install was a piece of cake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just a tip ( from experience ) If you are going to drill or cut the shield, put some masking tape over and around the area that you are going to cut before you start. This just helps to stop any chipping or splintering that can happen.

no need for buyers remorse if you trade me for the shield I have up in the classifieds section...its just what you are looking for

I put some pictures up for reference so you can get an idea of the height/look. It measures 8.5" taller than stock in the middle (tallest section)

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks.

I've seen a few people mention Clearview's great exchange policy so I guess I'll take a swag and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by SPGrenier View Post
    I just installed the Clearview medium, sport touring, vented, in light grey which gives me between 15 1/4 and 16 inches in height as measured from the top of the dash. I have it at the highest level. I'm 6 ft and sit on an Ultimate king seat.
    Is that seat higher, lower, or same height as OEM?

Great info. I'm considering passenger coverage so I'm thinking a taller shield would be better.

Quote Originally Posted by MinnetonkaMike View Post
    no need for buyers remorse if you trade me for the shield I have up in the classifieds section...its just what you are looking for

I put some pictures up for reference so you can get an idea of the height/look. It measures 8.5" taller than stock in the middle (tallest section)

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks.
    Nice looking shield but I'm shooting for a Clearview.