Hope I didn't make a mistake buying F6B - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hope I didn't make a mistake buying F6B

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    If a ten foot paint job is ok with you, then good for you. I'm not ok with a $20k flagship model with factory equipped scratches.
    I was standing closer to bike than ten feet, my phone makes great pictures. I have no scratches on my bike (yet). I paid $17,300 new for my bike last year. I would think the flagship model is fully loaded Goldwing which goes for almost $30k, making the F6B a great deal.

If your paint is a problem for you then invoke the warranty at your dealer, or repaint it, or sell the bike and move on.

I get many compliments about the bike up close from other riders (including Harley riders) and not once somebody mentioned that paint looks bad.

Just my humble opinion.

Welcome to the insanity!
    I do have to ask, not just to you but anyone that obsesses over paint on a motorcycle what's up with that? It has been my experience that if you ride or drive anything in today's environment it is going to collect bumps & bruises along the way, it's never going to stay perfect unless it becomes a museum piece. It's a mode of transportation not a rare artifact. I intend to ride my motorcycle & drive my cars so whatever happens along the way happens. I certainly do not let my rides deteriorate & they are all in tip top shape regardless of age.
    Specifically the F6B is a riding motorcycle with a lot more to offer then most all other bikes in it's class. Even if the paint is not the best in the industry so what? I'm sure I'm going to hear the "I expect perfect _______ on a bike I paid $XXXXXX for" but what bike is perfect?
    I guess I'm a bit biased about flat six powered bikes & may be willing to overlook what I consider minor flaws for the overall awesome-ness that the F6B is.

Bottom line is in giving my reply to what was posted is, maybe you did make a mistake & need to find that bike out there with the perfect paint.
    Best to you in your search...Flame suit on.
    BTW, my 2013 black Standard {made 12/12} has perfect paint.
    '97 Valkyrie Tourer, SOLD!
    '98 Valkyrie Tourer, traded for wife's F6B
    '99 Valkyrie Tourer, traded in on MY NEW F6B!!!!
    '05 Shadow Spirit 750 traded for wife's F6B
    '05 Triumph Rocket 3, gone but not forgotten
    2013 F6B, black standard.
    2013 F6B, red Deluxe for the wife.

Fast red, Liquid Glass...no worries.

You need to ride more and worry less. You're going to stress yourself out.

Enjoy your new ride!

Don't mess with my 'pepper' Scotrod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
    I get many compliments about the bike up close from other riders (including ALL riders) and not once somebody mentioned that paint looks bad.
    100% true. The only one's complaining are the ones that 'own' it... No one else seems to notice anything,,,

PC13, I agree!!! It's a friggin MC, not the Mona Lisa! Ya gonna ride that thing or just putt, park, and pose??

Paint is soft. Red seems more forgiving than black. The paint quality changed when production moved to Japan. Even with clearcoat, like I had on my '12 full Wing, scratches were noticable if you looked closely. Like others have said, the F6B is such a great motorcycle, the minor paint issue is not a factor. Ride it and have fun!

Attachment 7749
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by powercruzer13 View Post
    Welcome to the insanity!
    I do have to ask, not just to you but anyone that obsesses over paint on a motorcycle what's up with that? It has been my experience that if you ride or drive anything in today's environment it is going to collect bumps & bruises along the way, it's never going to stay perfect unless it becomes a museum piece. It's a mode of transportation not a rare artifact. I intend to ride my motorcycle & drive my cars so whatever happens along the way happens. I certainly do not let my rides deteriorate & they are all in tip top shape regardless of age.
    Specifically the F6B is a riding motorcycle with a lot more to offer then most all other bikes in it's class. Even if the paint is not the best in the industry so what? I'm sure I'm going to hear the "I expect perfect _______ on a bike I paid $XXXXXX for" but what bike is perfect?
    I guess I'm a bit biased about flat six powered bikes & may be willing to overlook what I consider minor flaws for the overall awesome-ness that the F6B is.

Bottom line is in giving my reply to what was posted is, maybe you did make a mistake & need to find that bike out there with the perfect paint.
    Best to you in your search...Flame suit on.
    BTW, my 2013 black Standard {made 12/12} has perfect paint.

+1

One nice thing about a crappy paint job, is that I don't worry about the paint!

I should be clear that I bought mine second hand, knowing that I was getting a crappy paint job. I was right!

The paint is not why one should buy/own this bike. IMHO

Some day when it gets repainted, then I'll have something to worry about.
    Albuquerque, NM

I have read about this issue for quite some time, but in all honesty, I've not experienced any issues with my red one. I have put a couple coats of Liquid Glass on her since I bought it a month ago. No paint has ever come off on my rag, and I've seen no swirls or scratching. I've washed her with turtle wax car wash, and wiped her down with Lucas Mist and a micro fiber towel. So far so good.

shooter
    Guys my family has been in the paint and body business for almost 50 years. My paint on my 2013 standard is good. If I get a scuff I use a little Meguiars on it and I detail every week with Lucas Slick Mist Yeah I ride mine 2 up almost every weekend. It looks great. I bought it to use but I like to look good doing it.

why did you buy your bike??

if you answer this i want to ride,thenjust know you bought a great bike
    i have had mine since march of 13
    i ride every day
    its black and beautiful...
    dont listen to everyone who tells you how soft this paint is
    its 2 years old now....
    waxit,ride it,waxit ride it...
    i use adams detail spray and wipe it after every ride...yes thats a little anal
    i use mequires black wax once a month
    but,i have no swirls,and i still get stopped and told how beautiful it is
    i have 24 k on my lil black rocket now(yes thats the name)
    still loving every mile...
    relax,its all about the ride