Future Classics - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Future Classics

shooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Injun Joe View Post
    Why do you think the B won't be? (My M109R was pretty darn nice too!)

Attachment 9289
    Nothing against the B. Its one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Its not unique enough. It doesn't break new ground. It is after all a Gold Wing. I agree with the Valkyrie. Its already a classic. The 9 has a cult following and impacted the market as the most outrageous power cruiser out there. Something that's a classic has to change the way you look at a segment of the market. The CB 750 was such a bike. I owned a really nice one. 1976 model.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    Nothing against the B. Its one of the best bikes I've ever ridden. Its not unique enough. It doesn't break new ground. It is after all a Gold Wing. I agree with the Valkyrie. Its already a classic. The 9 has a cult following and impacted the market as the most outrageous power cruiser out there. Something that's a classic has to change the way you look at a segment of the market. The CB 750 was such a bike. I owned a really nice one. 1976 model.
    OK... How about the F6B redefines the bagger category into usable, long distance bikes?

Sarcasm aside, I would never have considered a Goldwing as my only bike -- not since the days of the first naked ones. My problem is I'd feel like a fool hopping on one just to ride downtown. While I'd still like a smaller bike or scooter for around town jaunts, I don't feel nearly as ridiculous on the B. (And yes, I'd feel the same way about a full dress Harley and it's part of what put me off the Victory Vision. With the Vision, even the discontinued bagger version looks silly just putting around town I think.)
    Ride to work, work to ride
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Last year I sold my CX500 Turbo bikes. A rare one year bike. I had trouble selling them and they didn't go up in value. But I had a lot of fun owning them.
    When I saw that picture of your two (not one but TWO) CX500turbos' the pop I was drinking came outa my nose! That was the bike I was going to say! That is one I never got ahold of..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    2013 F6B Black
    Buell Lightning S1
    DR400sm
    Qlink Sumo

It seems pretty clear that the first year Polaris Indian Chief will be a classic, collectible bike.

If you didn't buy one, you completely missed the boat.

Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    It seems pretty clear that the first year Polaris Indian Chief will be a classic, collectible bike.

If you didn't buy one, you completely missed the boat.

I haven't heard any sales numbers. Have you? I kind of compare it to the Spyder in that regard: There are so many Spyders on the road now with indistinguishable features that I'm aware of that I think their long term value might be diluted. Yet both set something of a milestone as coming out of nowhere.

But back to the hilarity of your joke. Let's check back in 20-40 years and see whether the first year F6B or the first year Indian are considered more of a classic, shall we?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

But back to the hilarity of your joke. Let's check back in 20-40 years and see whether the first year F6B or the first year Indian are considered more of a classic, shall we?
    There is NO WAY the F6B will ever be considered a 'classic'. It's a mass-produced Japanese bike. And when you consider the GL1800 motor has been in production since 2001, the prospects are even bleaker. Maybe if Honda had goosed the motor a little, or tightened up the wheelbase, or changed the seating position to make it a little more sporty, maybe things would be different. But they didn't. They're just trying to extend the life of their GL1800 assembly line. The same way they did on the Valk Interstate. And actually, they did those things on the new Valk, and that bike seems to be sinking like a rock.

I'm glad you like your bike, but at the end of the day, it's just a Honda that's losing a little value every night while it sits in your garage. It's not ground-breaking, earth-shattering, or a bold new creation.

So ride the crap out of it, and stop thinking that it's so special just because you bought it. We have heard that Honda has repurchased some Wings with 400,000+ miles on them to tear down and study.

That's my goal.
    Re-tired, or Re-tard. Depends on your attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by motoman View Post
    There is NO WAY the F6B will ever be considered a 'classic'. It's a mass-produced Japanese bike. And when you consider the GL1800 motor has been in production since 2001, the prospects are even bleaker. Maybe if Honda had goosed the motor a little, or tightened up the wheelbase, or changed the seating position to make it a little more sporty, maybe things would be different. But they didn't. They're just trying to extend the life of their GL1800 assembly line. The same way they did on the Valk Interstate.

I'm glad you like your bike, but at the end of the day, it's just a Honda that's losing a little value every night while it sits in your garage. It's not ground-breaking, earth-shattering, or a bold new creation.

So ride the crap out of it, and stop thinking that it's so special just because you bought it. We have heard that Honda has repurchased some Wings with 400,000+ miles on them to tear down and study.

That's my goal.
    Uh... my "goal" was to find out what current bikes people thought might become classics. Like many threads, this one has drifted. While it would be fun if the F6B became a classic or even just a cult classic, I'm hardly losing any sleep over it. The Indian would have been a little different. Had I bought when I first thought about it, I would have had a very low first number off the assembly line. That would been kind of cool. But I wouldn't have thought I'd stand to gain on it like I did my early Mac signed by both Woz and Jobs on the inside of the case.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shooter
    OK... How about the F6B redefines the bagger category into usable, long distance bikes?

Sarcasm aside, I would never have considered a Goldwing as my only bike -- not since the days of the first naked ones. My problem is I'd feel like a fool hopping on one just to ride downtown. While I'd still like a smaller bike or scooter for around town jaunts, I don't feel nearly as ridiculous on the B. (And yes, I'd feel the same way about a full dress Harley and it's part of what put me off the Victory Vision. With the Vision, even the discontinued bagger version looks silly just putting around town I think.)
    But Joe in reality the B is a Gold Wing. Pop that trunk on the back and for intents and purposes you're there. I know its not quite that simple but appearance wise it is. The B will never be a classic or collectable. Doesn't mean its not one of the slickest bikes out there. Think about it. You're riding the quickest bagger on the planet. And probably the best handling. I love my 9 but the B impresses the hell out of me. When the wife and I ride with my brother in laws and their wives they always ask me to ride point. They both have Ultra Classics. They know what they're doing. Putting the fastest bike out front.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter View Post
    But Joe in reality the B is a Gold Wing. Pop that trunk on the back and for intents and purposes you're there. I know its not quite that simple but appearance wise it is. The B will never be a classic or collectable. Doesn't mean its not one of the slickest bikes out there. Think about it. You're riding the quickest bagger on the planet. And probably the best handling. I love my 9 but the B impresses the hell out of me. When the wife and I ride with my brother in laws and their wives they always ask me to ride point. They both have Ultra Classics. They know what they're doing. Putting the fastest bike out front.
    The beauty of it is, it's a Wing, but it doesn't look like a Wing. That's one of the main things that made the original Valkyrie so popular too, isn't it? You could ride one and pretend you were a "biker" instead of a "motorcyclist."

Back to the full Wing, if they just made a way to easily remove the trunk and that Lazy Boy of a back seat when you didn't want or need it, I'd totally be down. That's one of the cool things about the 9 -- how easy it is to switch between solo and passenger. Of course now that I've switched to the Mustang seat, the 6 is almost a stealth passenger seat looks wise. In fact, the fastback look kind reminds me of the solo 9.

* I have my doubts how comfortable a passenger would be on the Mustang seat, but then I want to discourage passengers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And since we're talking about such things...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301364146527

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301364045127
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]